Hand Disinfectant W/ Urea & Citric Acid

Grapelander

Development and virucidal activity of a novel alcohol-based hand disinfectant supplemented with urea and citric acid.
With the addition of 2.0 % citric acid and 2.0 % urea an activity against the three test viruses was achieved.
CONCLUSIONS:
In conclusion, this new formulation with a low alcohol content, citric acid and urea is capable of inactivating all enveloped and non-enveloped viruses as indicated in current guidelines and thereby contributing as valuable addition to the hand disinfection portfolio.

BearWithMe

Citric acid is incredibly harsh to the skin, even at 2% concentration. You would ruin your hands, using this regularly.

yerrag

It's good to know I have this to try when alcohol should run out. The same thing can be said about alcohol being harsh, although which one is harsher is something that I can test. Too frequent use of alcohol will make the skin dry and itchy.

BearWithMe

It's good to know I have this to try when alcohol should run out. The same thing can be said about alcohol being harsh, although which one is harsher is something that I can test. Too frequent use of alcohol will make the skin dry and itchy.
My skin has been extensively in direct contact with both. High percentage alcohol is definitely drying and irritating, but citric acid is MUCH worse.

yerrag

My skin has been extensively in direct contact with both. High percentage alcohol is definitely drying and irritating, but citric acid is MUCH worse.

Thanks. Do you think there is a difference between industrial citric acid and the citric acid found in citrus fruits? I have citric acid powder (industrial grade, used for cleaning my essential oil diffuser) and maybe if I used say lemon juice and urea the formula would be milder?

BearWithMe

Thanks. Do you think there is a difference between industrial citric acid and the citric acid found in citrus fruits? I have citric acid powder (industrial grade, used for cleaning my essential oil diffuser) and maybe if I used say lemon juice and urea the formula would be milder?
I don't know, sorry. I was volunteering in nursing home where the use of hand disinfecant was mandatory. The nursing home switched from alcohol based disinfecant to disinfecant based on water, aloe vera juice and 1.5% citric acid, and during one week, all the workers developed swollen, red, dry and extremely painful hands. It was horrible and I would not allow any form of citric acid on my skin ever again.

yerrag

I don't know, sorry. I was volunteering in nursing home where the use of hand disinfecant was mandatory. The nursing home switched from alcohol based disinfecant to disinfecant based on water, aloe vera juice and 1.5% citric acid, and during one week, all the workers developed swollen, red, dry and extremely painful hands. It was horrible and I would not allow any form of citric acid on my skin ever again.

I guess the developer of that formula didn't try that on himself first.