Hand Disease. Dupuytrens Contracture. DMSO To Dissolve Scar Tissue?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Looks like my right hand is getting it now. Fun times.

I'm starting to wonder if excessive calcium is a part of this. I do get a lot of calcium.

Does anyone think magnesium or some supplemental enzymes might help?

Hey bud, it's been a while. Update us on how you fared - hope you healed.

If I were you I'd try splinting my hands at night. Use the little wooden 'planks' that are used for finger splints or arts and crafts by kids. Take two, put one on top and one on the bottom of a finger, and then use tight rubber bands at the top and bottom of the finger to hold them in place - not too tight that it cuts off circulation in any way, but tight enough that it requires zero energy to keep your finger stretched open and straight, instead of curled.

I have absolutely no idea if this would work and the idea just spontaneously popped in my head but I have a hunch it would work. Obviously we naturally have our fingers spread out and straight very briefly throughout the day, and for 95% of the time our fingers are curled as this is the resting position. Well maybe the disorder is simply a collagenizing disorder of the hands and the only reason it results in curled fingers is because that's the position people have their fingers in for 95% of the day. But if for 8 hours a day (or more) the fingers are erect, any collagenization that occurs will work in the opposite way and oppose the curling.

I think this has potential and suggest you try it out. Do it every night while you go to sleep, and maybe have the splints on while doing mindless things like watching TV.

OP
Gl;itch.e

Gl;itch.e

Hey bud, it's been a while. Update us on how you fared - hope you healed.
Thanks Xeliex! Unfortunately nothing has changed. It hasn't really worsened since it occurred however. Maybe very slightly larger but nothing major. Honestly I just don't even think much about it now. Just notice it sometimes when using the hands. Right hand seems unaffected even 18 months on.

I am off the opinion that the rapid onset of it was mostly due to mechanical trauma of the hands. Perhaps a normal healing mechanism went into overdrive for some reason. Maybe my diet or supplementation at the time played a part in this.

OP
Gl;itch.e

Gl;itch.e

If I were you I'd try splinting my hands at night. Use the little wooden 'planks' that are used for finger splints or arts and crafts by kids. Take two, put one on top and one on the bottom of a finger, and then use tight rubber bands at the top and bottom of the finger to hold them in place - not too tight that it cuts off circulation in any way, but tight enough that it requires zero energy to keep your finger stretched open and straight, instead of curled.

I have absolutely no idea if this would work and the idea just spontaneously popped in my head but I have a hunch it would work. Obviously we naturally have our fingers spread out and straight very briefly throughout the day, and for 95% of the time our fingers are curled as this is the resting position. Well maybe the disorder is simply a collagenizing disorder of the hands and the only reason it results in curled fingers is because that's the position people have their fingers in for 95% of the day. But if for 8 hours a day (or more) the fingers are erect, any collagenization that occurs will work in the opposite way and oppose the curling.

I think this has potential and suggest you try it out. Do it every night while you go to sleep, and maybe have the splints on while doing mindless things like watching TV.
It's definitely something I would try if it became severe and began interferring in daily use. I understand some older people get to the point where they can't even put their hands in their pockets because the fingers are chronically curled! I would think I would try your idea well before it got that extreme. I would definitely prefer to avoid any surgery though. Thanks for the thoughts

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I am seeing more and more people of all ages get this contraction...

Interesting study from 1913?

THE THYROID TREATMENT OF DUPUYTREN’S
CONTRACTION.

Did they administer it orally? Like NDT?

I'd think topical T3 might be a good idea along with an NDT or synthetic thyroid replacement.

Attachments

• S0140-6736_2800_2976093-4.pdf
    190.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Birdie

I had Dupuytren's in late 2017. Cured mine with friction massage, some DMSO, and can't remember what else. I continue with finger/hand stretches as part of my exercise routine. But I'd been doing those before the contracture began.

I've used NDT since the 90s. And added some extra T3 (Cynomel) for the past 10 years. If I'd known about its use for DC, I'd have considered adding in some extra. It sometimes comes back.. so who knows.

That link you gave to The Lancet page was fascinating. Thank you @xeliex !

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals