Hand Disease. Dupuytrens Contracture. DMSO To Dissolve Scar Tissue?

Gl;itch.e

Hello everybody!

So it appears that I'm developing Dupuytren's Contracture in the ring and possibly pinky finger of my left hand. Yay!

Dupuytren's contracture - Wikipedia

So what I'm looking into is a DMSO based solution to attempt to break up the tendon/scar tissue and remove the nodules if at all possible.

What would be good to add to the DMSO solution to attack the excessive collagen/scar tissue build up?

Any and all suggestions/ideas would be very welcome.

HDD

The Wikipedia description mentioned thyroid problems and connective tissue which reminded me of the following-

"Thyroid activates the conversion of cholesterol to the steroids pregnenolone, DHEA, and progesterone, and those are important stabilizers of the connective tissues, as well as the nerves. (If thyroid is chronically low, cartilage is easily deformed, and ligaments are likely to be loose.)"

"Every tissue has it’s response to progesterone; all nerves are stabilized by progesterone, [as well as] the skin, and connective tissue, joints.."

OP
Gl;itch.e

Gl;itch.e

The Wikipedia description mentioned thyroid problems and connective tissue which reminded me of the following-

"Thyroid activates the conversion of cholesterol to the steroids pregnenolone, DHEA, and progesterone, and those are important stabilizers of the connective tissues, as well as the nerves. (If thyroid is chronically low, cartilage is easily deformed, and ligaments are likely to be loose.)"

"Every tissue has it’s response to progesterone; all nerves are stabilized by progesterone, [as well as] the skin, and connective tissue, joints.."
Yeah I did come across that HDD. Unfortunately this condition has raised its head after I had started T3. Prior to that it wasn't an issue. I'm actually wondering if its possibly the addition of T3 that is having this effect.

tara

I'm ignorant of the specific condition, but in addition to HDD's ideas ...
I guess you've considered seeing if there's an experienced manual therapist around - eg someone whose good at trigger point work?
Not giving yourself OOS from some particular activity?
I think you are already eating gelatin? Getting generous dietary vit-C to aid healthy collagen formation? considering the factors that aid in the appropriate deployment of calcium?
Could defibron be relevant?

OP
Gl;itch.e

Gl;itch.e

I'm ignorant of the specific condition, but in addition to HDD's ideas ...
I guess you've considered seeing if there's an experienced manual therapist around - eg someone whose good at trigger point work?
Not giving yourself OOS from some particular activity?
I think you are already eating gelatin? Getting generous dietary vit-C to aid healthy collagen formation? considering the factors that aid in the appropriate deployment of calcium?
Could defibron be relevant?
Thanks Tara. I'll have a look at Defibron. I was wondering if perhaps I needed to get back into supplementing vitamin K. Maybe things are a bit out of wack

I am a lifting enthusiast, so perhaps the heavy deadlifts which do tax my hands may have played a role. I plan on amending my lifting habits to work around this to reduce stress on my hands at least temporarily

OP
Gl;itch.e

Gl;itch.e

You can't lift really heavy weights with gloves unfortunately. I may use straps to try and reduce stress on the hand for awhile and see if that helps. But I fear the damage may have already been done and if I can not dissolve the nodules then the "disease" may progress regardless of what I do to mitigate hand stress.

You can't lift really heavy weights with gloves unfortunately. I may use straps to try and reduce stress on the hand for awhile and see if that helps. But I fear the damage may have already been done and if I can not dissolve the nodules then the "disease" may progress regardless of what I do to mitigate hand stress.
Lift lighter weights :emoji_juggling:

OP
Gl;itch.e

Gl;itch.e

Lift lighter weights :emoji_juggling:
I know you were joking Such but "Lift lighter weights" sounds like "roll-over and die!" to me.

It's like telling a painter who is losing the use of his hand to paint less, or a musician who is losing their hearing to play less. Giving up things sounds like death or degeneration

I know you were joking Such but "Lift lighter weights" sounds like "roll-over and die!" to me.

It's like telling a painter who is losing the use of his hand to paint less, or a musician who is losing their hearing to play less. Giving up things sounds like death or degeneration

Well you can lift less weight more times and the sum can be the same amount...

Birdie

When I was in chiropractic school, we were taught to use B6 for Dupuytren's Contracture. I don't remember the dose etc. Maybe a search would find the protocol...
We were told to be careful with B6 long term since it can lead to some nerve problems.

I remember my sister's using it once and it cured her DC.

OP
Gl;itch.e

Gl;itch.e

If it drives and has a stereo I'm good lol
When I was in chiropractic school, we were taught to use B6 for Dupuytren's Contracture. I don't remember the dose etc. Maybe a search would find the protocol...
We were told to be careful with B6 long term since it can lead to some nerve problems.

I remember my sister's using it once and it cured her DC.
That's interesting. I have been using about 50mg of B6 for awhile. I guess I could try upping this or get some more P5P.

tara

And some musicians have to stop because they give themselves overuse injuries, too.
Lots of high level sports people simultaneously develop plans for satisfying lives doing other things when physical performance can no longer be at the very top. It's not dying, even if it feels like it:)

If you want to be able to keep going long term, it's well worth figuring out how to make it sustainable before you do more damage.
Would less frequent workouts have potential for better recovery while still maintaining strength?

OP
Gl;itch.e

Gl;itch.e

And some musicians have to stop because they give themselves overuse injuries, too.
Lots of high level sports people simultaneously develop plans for satisfying lives doing other things when physical performance can no longer be at the very top. It's not dying, even if it feels like it:)
Oh I have other hobbies etc that I could put more time into. But I still have other weightlifting goals that have not been attained. It's a bit depressing.

If you want to be able to keep going long term, it's well worth figuring out how to make it sustainable before you do more damage.
Would less frequent workouts have potential for better recovery while still maintaining strength?
I'm already doing about as low volume and frequency as possible in order to maintain what I have built over the years. I feel like any less would be pointless. I will however try to do things differently to minimise damage to the hand and hopefully keep things from getting worse.

L

lollipop

Interesting @Gl;itch.e I had never heard of this condition until today when my friend told me he is learning a dry needling technique from a physical therapist and it is healing his own DC. Apparently it is different than acupuncture that needles along the meridians. This works with the physical tissue and apparently has good results. You might check in your area and have a consultation with a certified physical therapist.

artlange

If you use lower weights and loft very slowly, (30sec per lift) you may find that your will reach exhaustion way sooner and feel satisfied from a training point of view. I was able to lower my weight by a 1/3 and still reached muscle exhaustion with lower number of reps. I had mild DC but it went away and I forgot about it until I read your original message.

OP
Gl;itch.e

Gl;itch.e

If you use lower weights and loft very slowly, (30sec per lift) you may find that your will reach exhaustion way sooner and feel satisfied from a training point of view. I was able to lower my weight by a 1/3 and still reached muscle exhaustion with lower number of reps. I had mild DC but it went away and I forgot about it until I read your original message.
The nodules went away?

OP
Gl;itch.e

Gl;itch.e

Looks like my right hand is getting it now. Fun times.

I'm starting to wonder if excessive calcium is a part of this. I do get a lot of calcium.

Does anyone think magnesium or some supplemental enzymes might help?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals