"hamsters exposed to red light at night had significantly...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
In the study involving Siberian hamsters (Phodopus sungorus), senior author Prof Randy Nelson from the Ohio State University, first author Dr Tracy Bedrosian of the Salk Institute, and their colleagues, found that blue light had the worst effects on mood-related measures, followed closely by white light. But hamsters exposed to red light at night had significantly less evidence of depressive-like symptoms and changes in the brain linked to depression, compared to those that experienced blue or white light.

Source

Mittir

Re: "hamsters exposed to red light at night had significantl

Lets form a " 500 Watt" club.
I think everyone needs to know how wonderful light therapy is.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

:rolling

It's truly incredible Mittir. I agree. The results from getting enough light are remarkable.

Then when you try and explain to someone how important light is, they look at your like you are crazy. I am actually starting to enjoy being labeled crazy. :lol:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

OH, and I nominate j without a dot as president. :mrgreen:

Mittir

@Charlie
I tried to convince some of family members to use incandescent light and i get this weird look.
We are trained to think that complicated problems have complicated solutions and use of
incandescent light sounds too simple.
I remember i found this forum while i was searching for the right kind of bulb, heat lamp
or regular incandescent. The thread on light therapy was very good.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Exactly. Things have been made way too complicated, to confuse us. That guy sitting under his lights must be crazy, he needs a doctor. :lol:

lovelife

I've read some of the light thread, but I would love a quick answer from some of you who are red light professionals. ;)

What is the cheapest bare minimum setup for someone who is seriously poor but really wants to do the light stuff? I only have regular lamps, but if cheap enough I could maybe get one brooder clamp lamp. Suggestions?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Brooder clamp lamp and a BR40 Heat bulb, clear. :)

jyb

Mittir said:
I remember i found this forum while i was searching for the right kind of bulb, heat lamp
or regular incandescent. The thread on light therapy was very good.

Same for me! That thread is awesome.

Mittir

@jyb
RP clarified lots of questions in that thread.It reminds me of my favorite RP quote

I decided that I should make knowledge useful. Around the age of 30 I decided that useful knowledge was really the purpose of the brain.---------- Puja Hormone Interview

jyb

Mittir said:
Lets form a " 500 Watt" club.
I think everyone needs to know how wonderful light therapy is.

500W only? What a joke.

That hamster study is interesting. I now wonder whether lack of sunlight of hamster pets (not always much light inside a flat) is why they seem to suffer poor health. Hamster pets are quite fragile, and a few cancers are quite common (my hamsters died from gut-related cancers).

Peata

My set-up was just over $15. It probably would have been cheaper at Walmart or a home improvement store, but I bought it all at a local hardware store. It's a GE 250watt heat lamp and a ceramic base that has a cord & clamp. I don't use a lamp shade (I think a lot of people use the metal ones). Mine is just the bare bulb sticking out of the ceramic base.

J

j.

Mittir said:
@Charlie
I tried to convince some of family members to use incandescent light and i get this weird look.
You might convince them to use led based on their arguments (energy concerns, durability), so they at least do less damage to themselves. But it'll be less harmful only if they use the warm white led, not the regular white led.

jyb

j. said:
Mittir said:
@Charlie
You might convince them to use led based on their arguments (energy concerns, durability), so they at least do less damage to themselves. But it'll be less harmful only if they use the warm white led, not the regular white led.

Wait, why are regular bulbs (low power incandescents or energy savers) harmful? I understand that they don't emit enough power, or that the energy savers would cause problem if broken due to mercury.

J

j.

jyb said:
Wait, why are regular bulbs (low power incandescents or energy savers) harmful? I understand that they don't emit enough power, or that the energy savers would cause problem if broken due to mercury.

The "energy saving" light is harmful for the same reason the regular white led is harmful: it emits a lot of light of the blue frequency.

The warm white led is less harmful for the same reason incandescent light is less harmful: it emits little light of the blue frequency.

The incadescent apparently is better than the white warm led because the former emits more red light.

jyb

j. said:
jyb said:

The "energy saving" light is harmful for the same reason the regular white led is harmful: it emits a lot of light of the blue frequency.

The warm white led is less harmful for the same reason incandescent light is less harmful: it emits little light of the blue frequency.

The incadescent apparently is better than the white warm led because the former emits more red light.

Ok, but I assumed that the energy savers were so little powdered that their spectrum was irrelevant. A computer screen is different, because you are constantly staring at it so I can imagine it being bad for the eyes even if with a low power blue spectrum.

J

j.

jyb said:
Ok, but I assumed that the energy savers were so little powdered that their spectrum was irrelevant.

If that were so, it would be like darkness. Ray Peat considers darkness stressful, so it would've still been harmful.

jyb

j. said:
If that were so, it would be like darkness. Ray Peat considers darkness stressful, so it would've still been harmful.

Not really, I mean its enough to see, but its really insignificant physiologically (compared to sunlight). I don't think an energy saver above your head would even mess up your circadian rhythm (blue light regulating melatonin). I think the issue is rather due to TV's and computer screens.

J

j.

jyb said:
j. said:

Not really, I mean its enough to see, but its really insignificant physiologically (compared to sunlight).
Then it's like darkness. If it's physiologically insignificant it's like darkness. If it's significant it's harmful because it's blue. Once you make up your mind whether it's significant or insignificant, the implication would still be that it's bad.

I don't think an energy saver above your head would even mess up your circadian rhythm (blue light regulating melatonin).
That's not the main issue about light. The advice about lights is based on the assumption that the suppression of generation of cellular energy is the more important factor.

Back
Top Bottom