Halogen Better Then Incadence For Red Light?

schultz

I believe halogen has a higher orange and a lower infrared, which makes it more efficient than the incandescent. They may be close in the amount of red. That chart you posted is a bit confusing and it's easier to tell on a spectral curve.

It appears the halogen peaks around the well studied nm wavelengths; around 600

spectral.png

Diokine

My experience is that high power halogens are the closest thing to sunlight. I like incandescent, but I'll choose halogen any time.

paymanz

and halogen also has more blue.it is obvious just looking at it.

i think this one is more accurate:
black3.gif

Peater Piper

And we don't want blue. So why is halogen good?
I don't think a little blue light is a bad thing. It seems important to maintaining circadian rhythm, and we're naturally exposed to it with sunlight. Artificial lighting with excessive amounts of blue light and little red is an issue, though. The UV from halogen would worry me more if not properly filtered, assuming we're talking about hours of exposure.

I don't think a little blue light is a bad thing. It seems important to maintaining circadian rhythm, and we're naturally exposed to it with sunlight. Artificial lighting with excessive amounts of blue light and little red is an issue, though. The UV from halogen would worry me more if not properly filtered, assuming we're talking about hours of exposure.

I don't think it's a good thing at all. We get enough blue light. Supplementing with red light is the key, not blue light. I think it could nullify the positive effects of red light. UV would be even worse.

I did supplement with blue/red light and felt not good at all. An experiment.

Peater Piper

I don't think it's a good thing at all. We get enough blue light. Supplementing with red light is the key, not blue light. I think it could nullify the positive effects of red light. UV would be even worse.

I did supplement with blue/red light and felt not good at all. An experiment.
For someone spending a substantial amount of time under artificial blue light, it's probably a good idea to balance it with red light (assuming the blue light can't be avoided). I'd also use only red light for spot treatments. However, for someone trying to replicate sunlight to a degree during the cold winter, I don't think halogens would be a bad choice. I don't avoid going outside because I'll get too much blue light, in fact the more time I spend in natural sunlight the better I feel. Even red light, especially infrared light, can be damaging in excess.

Logan-

I believe halogen has a higher orange and a lower infrared, which makes it more efficient than the incandescent. They may be close in the amount of red. That chart you posted is a bit confusing and it's easier to tell on a spectral curve.

It appears the halogen peaks around the well studied nm wavelengths; around 600

View attachment 3804

yes this pic says it all.
led-lighting-2.jpg

Which one of these graphs is true?

x-ray peat

Which one of these graphs is true?
both are. You linked to the same graph. If you mean the other graph that shows the higher wavelengths then I would say they are close enough. Probably used a different halogen type since that looks like the main difference

Last edited:

TripleOG

Depends on the kelvin rating.

Most high watt bulbs (incandescent or halogen) sit between 2700-3000k. 130v bulb on a 120v line drops it lower.

A 500W halogen at 4100k would be great, but they don't exist.

OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

I don't understand why 4100k would be great less red. you want long kevlin aka "k" as possible to a point that all other colors are pushed out but orange to deep red. the red leds usually have 600-700 prefect spectrum sunligth still better usually higher lumen rate.

TripleOG

I don't understand why 4100k would be great less red. you want long kevlin aka "k" as possible to a point that all other colors are pushed out but orange to deep red. the red leds usually have 600-700 prefect spectrum sunligth still better usually higher lumen rate.

A 4100k bulb would have 35% of its light output in the 600-900nm range (where it also peaks), compared to 25% for 3200k and 12% for 2400k, making it the most efficient for red light purposes. Lower kelvin shifts the peaks to longer wavelengths, making red light (and visible light) less efficient the lower it gets. Eventually heat becomes too much. That is why I said a high watt 4100k bulb would be great. Coat it red and we'd have a beastly therapeutic bulb. :cool

OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

thanks tripleog I just don't get it as the warm the more red you should get and infared. as you push out violent blue. It may be true that less visible light comes out but that could be the non ideal colors blue then later on green depending on how dim the bulb is. If heat issue bulb further away would help. Also if we talk about leds then no infared so warmer the better as long as there orange to deep red. but if you are right and I am open to 4100 or 4300k then i am very interested in xenon bulbs for light thearpy.

TripleOG

thanks tripleog I just don't get it as the warm the more red you should get and infared. as you push out violent blue. It may be true that less visible light comes out but that could be the non ideal colors blue then later on green depending on how dim the bulb is. If heat issue bulb further away would help. Also if we talk about leds then no infared so warmer the better as long as there orange to deep red. but if you are right and I am open to 4100 or 4300k then i am very interested in xenon bulbs for light thearpy.

The idea is to target the greatest efficiency between the 600-900 range (or more if you value those ranges). Can always filter out the shorter wavelengths if you wish. This is all going off the black body radiation curves, as seen in post #5. LEDs are great for high irradiance needs between 600-900nm. You'll need to look elsewhere if you find value in longer wavelengths, though. Personally, I find the heating wavelengths a great, even necessary, addition to red light therapy.

I'm not too familair with Xenon bulbs. They're spectral distribution didn't seem better than halogen/incandescents, with regard to >600nm.

OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

yes but with cri of 100 maybe and way more lumens they will get you to those very high lumens like sunlight.

Logan-

both are. You linked to the same graph. If you mean the other graph that shows the higher wavelengths then I would say they are close enough. Probably used a different halogen type since that looks like the main difference

Yes I meant the different wavelengths shown for of halogen lamp in these charts.