Hair Stem Cells Activated Through The Eyes Processing Light?

Kenny

I thought this was kind of an interesting study. Saw a guy post it on HLT a week or two ago. Important note that it is a MOUSE study and just thinking about mice will make them grow hair.

Anyway I think its worth a glance.

Attachments

• pnas.201719548.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 34

mrchibbs

I thought this was kind of an interesting study. Saw a guy post it on HLT a week or two ago. Important note that it is a MOUSE study and just thinking about mice will make them grow hair.

Anyway I think its worth a glance.

It wouldn't be surprising that a chronic deficiency of light is involved.

OP
K

Kenny

It wouldn't be surprising that a chronic deficiency of light is involved.
That makes sense to me given how much less sunlight people have been getting over the years - though I’m a little confused by the color of light referred to in the study- they showed blue light being what produced growth. Personally I use programs to filter out blue light on my screens as it helps with my sleep - personally I feel like it lowers my cortisol to have my screen glow orange instead of blue.

mrchibbs

That makes sense to me given how much less sunlight people have been getting over the years - though I’m a little confused by the color of light referred to in the study- they showed blue light being what produced growth. Personally I use programs to filter out blue light on my screens as it helps with my sleep - personally I feel like it lowers my cortisol to have my screen glow orange instead of blue.

I think circadian rhythms and cycles of light exposure are more important. I've used f.lux too for years, the idea is that we're getting too much blue in our environments and not enough red, but I don't think blue is strictly bad. It's just that in the sun for example it's always balanced with the red-orange portion of the spectrum.

OP
K

Kenny

I think circadian rhythms and cycles of light exposure are more important. I've used f.lux too for years, the idea is that we're getting too much blue in our environments and not enough red, but I don't think blue is strictly bad. It's just that in the sun for example it's always balanced with the red-orange portion of the spectrum.

I guess its just another benefit of spending more time in the sun. It seems like most people are glued to blue light for most of the day - its quite surprising that it would be beneficial for hair growth - a problem that seems to be becoming more and more common.

mrchibbs

I guess its just another benefit of spending more time in the sun. It seems like most people are glued to blue light for most of the day - its quite surprising that it would be beneficial for hair growth - a problem that seems to be becoming more and more common.

I don't think blue light is so terribly bad in of itself. I think the relative deficiency of red light to balance the blue part is the problem. The entire light spectrum is probably necessary. I may be wrong though.

I’ve been experimenting with wearing blue blockers all day in conjunction with bright light till bedtime. I feel more relaxed than usual- “fight or flight” reactions are greatly diminished

OccamzRazer

I’ve been experimenting with wearing blue blockers all day in conjunction with bright light till bedtime. I feel more relaxed than usual- “fight or flight” reactions are greatly diminished
Fascinating! I've been doing this too. It takes some getting used to but is indeed super relaxing.

People like Jack Kruse / Matt Maruca say blue blockers should only be worn when looking at blue-lit screens and at night...

But considering that most of us probably have been exposed to way too much blue light already, might there be some red-light-derived epigenetic signals we've missed out on?

Just as recovering from chronic PUFA intake requires a proactive low-PUFA approach, might recovering from chronic blue light exposure require the pendulum to swing the other way, towards red light?

I wish someone would make a blue-blocking face shield, as I believe photoreceptor cells are also found in the rest of the face, not just the eyes...

Awesome!! Yes, I’m actually wearing perscription blue blockers from Matt Maruca’s company but am using them with peaty thinking :thumbright. It’s my hunch that blue light blocking all day will downregulate cortisol levels in a way that will be more beneficial than any potential cons it might have (blue light induced dopamine production). Also knowing that very bright red light can still suppress melatonin has helped my interest indoing this. My familysays it just looks like I’m making a fashion statement:lol:

I’ve also thought about a blue blocking face shield, more-so for skin health benefits. I’ve also looked into amber tinted window films. There are definitely skin receptors that can sense blue light and affect hormones.

OccamzRazer

Awesome!! Yes, I’m actually wearing perscription blue blockers from Matt Maruca’s company but am using them with peaty thinking :thumbright. It’s my hunch that blue light blocking all day will downregulate cortisol levels in a way that will be more beneficial than any potential cons it might have (blue light induced dopamine production). Also knowing that very bright red light can still suppress melatonin has helped my interest indoing this. My familysays it just looks like I’m making a fashion statement:lol:

I’ve also thought about a blue blocking face shield, more-so for skin health benefits. I’ve also looked into amber tinted window films. There are definitely skin receptors that can sense blue light and affect hormones.
Right on! Same...I have their "Popp Night" glasses.

I actually reached out to Ra Optics via email asking if they could make a full face shield/film/device...and got no response. Figured now might be an opportune time, with 'COVID' popularizing face shields and all, but apparently not. Either people can convince them to do it, or perhaps this is a worthwhile business opportunity!

Suspect you're right about the cortisol downregulation outweighing any potential negatives.

While the Kruse camp seems to view evolutionary implications as the end-all-be-all, Peat-people seem to use evolutionary developments as a baseline from which to further biohack and optimize things. This seems to be a more sophisticated approach given how toxic the modern environment is.

Wearing blue blockers during the day is definitely a fashion statement lol. I get asked about mine sometimes, so maybe it's also more than that - an opportunity to get people thinking?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals