Hair Loss Speed Up After Started "Peating"

Bushido1

Hello,

So about 6 months ago I started Peating to stop my hair loss after going through Danny Roddy's videos.

Since then, and especially in the last 3 months my hair loss has speed up dramatically. My hair line has receded considerably and this is freaking me out. I also started feeling pain in the top of my scalp (where I am losing the hair), it feels like it has gotten massively inflamed suddenly.

I also feel like my mood and stress levels are worse in general.

Before started Peating I was eating a Paleo + potatoes/veggies diet.

Here I attach the diet that I have been following the last 6 months.
The supplements I am taking are: vitamin D, K, E, aspirin and liver/oysters (weekly).

Any ideas of what foods could had speed up my hair loss so dramatically?

Anyone had a similar experience? How did you go about fixing it?

Attachments

• Cronometer May Stats.png
    Cronometer May Stats.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Cronometer May.png
    Cronometer May.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 203
  • Cronometer Potatoes Stats.png
    Cronometer Potatoes Stats.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Cronometer Potatoes.png
    Cronometer Potatoes.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 180

lampofred

I think whole milk is better for hair than 1%, 1% is estrogenic (I don't really know why, just personal experience). 2 eggs a day can be bad for hair if you're not getting PUFA-free eggs, if chickens eat regular feed the eggs will be high in PUFA, and too much cheese can be really estrogenic and cause hair issues (again, don't know why, just personal experience). I would recommend avoiding cheese and switching to whole milk, and avoiding eggs unless you know what the chickens eat and it is free of PUFA.

Luk3

This is in contrast to my experience. My hairloss has dramatically slowed/stopped since finding Peat and going low PUFA. Scalp itch has completely disappeared, too.

Some thoughts based on my experience with hair loss:

- 2500 calories isn’t much for a male, especially if you’re having stimulants, like coffee, on top of that. You’re probably running on stress hormones.
- the extra carbs that you aren’t used to may be creating bacterial/fungal issues. You could try an anti-fungal shampoo.
- scalp massages and red light are two useful things that you can start straight away to mitigate the loss
- bovine dairy increases my shedding dramatically; possibly from the extra sebum production. Switching to goat dairy or cutting it all together may help.
- my shedding is always more stable when supplementing vitamin c. Histamine reduction, maybe?

There is tonnes of valuable info on this forum about hair loss. I’d, especially, recommend reading Travis’ posts on the roles of the prostaglandins and cortisol on hair.
Finally: get some bloods done (thyroid, T, prolactin etc, etc)

rawmeat

Experiment by chilling out on the milk for a week and see if things improve.
High milk/high fat made my sebum production increase and hair shedding worse.

OP
B

Bushido1

This is in contrast to my experience. My hairloss has dramatically slowed/stopped since finding Peat and going low PUFA. Scalp itch has completely disappeared, too.

Some thoughts based on my experience with hair loss:

- 2500 calories isn’t much for a male, especially if you’re having stimulants, like coffee, on top of that. You’re probably running on stress hormones.
- the extra carbs that you aren’t used to may be creating bacterial/fungal issues. You could try an anti-fungal shampoo.
- scalp massages and red light are two useful things that you can start straight away to mitigate the loss
- bovine dairy increases my shedding dramatically; possibly from the extra sebum production. Switching to goat dairy or cutting it all together may help.
- my shedding is always more stable when supplementing vitamin c. Histamine reduction, maybe?

There is tonnes of valuable info on this forum about hair loss. I’d, especially, recommend reading Travis’ posts on the roles of the prostaglandins and cortisol on hair.
Finally: get some bloods done (thyroid, T, prolactin etc, etc)

I am glad to hear a positive testimonial. It gives me hope still.

Personally I never had itching before started Peating, even if I still was losing hair.

I was already contemplating stopping dairy consumption and see how I would react. I already heard haidut mention that some people don't react well to milk no matter what and I also read from others in the forum saying that milk increased their hair loss. So I will be cutting all dairy for a month and see how things go, will add eggshell calcium instead for calcium.

Could you please send me a link to Travi's post?

Kartoffel

Hello,

So about 6 months ago I started Peating to stop my hair loss after going through Danny Roddy's videos.

Since then, and especially in the last 3 months my hair loss has speed up dramatically. My hair line has receded considerably and this is freaking me out. I also started feeling pain in the top of my scalp (where I am losing the hair), it feels like it has gotten massively inflamed suddenly.

I also feel like my mood and stress levels are worse in general.

Before started Peating I was eating a Paleo + potatoes/veggies diet.

Here I attach the diet that I have been following the last 6 months.
The supplements I am taking are: vitamin D, K, E, aspirin and liver/oysters (weekly).

Any ideas of what foods could had speed up my hair loss so dramatically?

Anyone had a similar experience? How did you go about fixing it?

Eat when you are hungry and eat what gives you energy. Don't listen to people telling you it's nutrient X Y Z.

I don't really know much about Cronometer and just took a brief look at your attachments. And this may not sound very peaty, but: Isn't that a bit much calcium? Especially in relation to magnesium? (I don't think Dr. Peat is basically wrong about calcium. Nevertheless, I wouldn't rule out that it may cause problems if accompanying parameters (e.g. vitamin K, magnesium, etc.) aren't adjusted to high intake.)

postman

By retinol you mean vitamin A?

Do you think cutting out carrot salad could be beneficial then? I get 80% of vitamin A from there.
I don't know, all I know is that eating a very low-VA diet made my hairloss stop and I had a few new hairs coming out. There is a huge thread about Grant and his theory on Vitamin A. You say you eat or take liver supplements.

OP
B

Bushido1

I don't know, all I know is that eating a very low-VA diet made my hairloss stop and I had a few new hairs coming out. There is a huge thread about Grant and his theory on Vitamin A. You say you eat or take liver supplements.

Could you please quote the link to it?

I know haidut and Ray are big proponents of vitamin A, but perhaps in my situation (I have low cholesterol 145) vitamin A could be stuck without being used. So I believe that some people could benefit from lowering vitamin A for sure.

schultz

I don't know much about hair loss, but your carbs seem low IMO. Are you trying to limit them for some reason?

camagunn

my hair loss is less when taking vitamin A

OP
B

Bushido1

@Bushido1 Any starches in the diet?

I was eating white potatoes with butter. Which I later substitute for more milk but didn't help much on my temperatures or labs.

Anyways, the reason I created this post is to try to figure out which ones of the foods/supplements that I have added could be speeding up my hair loss.

I was eating a high muscle meat + veggies diet with zero fruit/sugars or dairy. So the main things I have added to the diet from before are sugars, dairy and supplements and this had made my itchiness and hair loss get worse than before.

At the moment I am going to try by cutting dairy completely for a month and seeing how my hair loss, itchiness and temperatures progress.

jzeno

@Bushido1 It could be what you're not getting in your diet as opposed to what you're currently eating.

I would consider adding more well cooked vegetables and vegetable juices. I'm not sure that that is going to solve your problem but the value of micronutrients in vegetables is well documented. It may be you're not getting something.

Other ideas would be nutritious meats like liver or oysters.

Kelj

Symptom Questions — The Eating Disorder Institute

What's with all the hair loss/brittleness/dryness/thinness?

"So here's how the hair loss thing works. There is a natural cycle of cell death and new cell production throughout our bodies and that includes the hair follicles.

The condition of telogen effluvium is when a large amount of hair loss is noticeable and it can be traced to a severe stressful condition about 3 months prior. In those conditions the patient's hair cycle is essentially fast-forwarded to early follicle death, rather than experiencing the usual prolonged growth phase and resting phase.

This is one way in which patients may experience hair loss while they are in fact in recovery -- it is a delayed response to starvation because the normal follicle growth and renewal process is running about 3 months after the stressful starvation period occurred.

However, patients may also experience an elongated catagen phase (the regressive phase of the follicle) during their starvation period. In this situation, the hair is not aging and falling out as it should normally (about 100 odd hairs a day). And in these cases the apoptosis (natural cell death) that the catagen phase is supposed to induce is halted. The body simply doesn't have enough energy to have the cells go through their natural process.

As soon as you begin refeeding, then the process of having the follicle die and the hair fall out can now proceed and there is a back log. In these cases you may have noticed your hair was becoming increasingly brittle and opaque during the restriction phase of your condition, but did not really note much increased hair loss (if any).

While of course it is distressing, it is not a permanent state and new healthy hair will replace the old in fairly short order.

The condition of hair is directly attributable to nutritional status and that is likely why "healthy-looking" hair is important in most societies as it reflects the evolutionary value of the individual as a mate.

If you want healthy-looking hair, then pursue your health with adequate re-feeding and rest."

lampofred

Symptom Questions — The Eating Disorder Institute

What's with all the hair loss/brittleness/dryness/thinness?

"So here's how the hair loss thing works. There is a natural cycle of cell death and new cell production throughout our bodies and that includes the hair follicles.

The condition of telogen effluvium is when a large amount of hair loss is noticeable and it can be traced to a severe stressful condition about 3 months prior. In those conditions the patient's hair cycle is essentially fast-forwarded to early follicle death, rather than experiencing the usual prolonged growth phase and resting phase.

This is one way in which patients may experience hair loss while they are in fact in recovery -- it is a delayed response to starvation because the normal follicle growth and renewal process is running about 3 months after the stressful starvation period occurred.

However, patients may also experience an elongated catagen phase (the regressive phase of the follicle) during their starvation period. In this situation, the hair is not aging and falling out as it should normally (about 100 odd hairs a day). And in these cases the apoptosis (natural cell death) that the catagen phase is supposed to induce is halted. The body simply doesn't have enough energy to have the cells go through their natural process.

As soon as you begin refeeding, then the process of having the follicle die and the hair fall out can now proceed and there is a back log. In these cases you may have noticed your hair was becoming increasingly brittle and opaque during the restriction phase of your condition, but did not really note much increased hair loss (if any).

While of course it is distressing, it is not a permanent state and new healthy hair will replace the old in fairly short order.

The condition of hair is directly attributable to nutritional status and that is likely why "healthy-looking" hair is important in most societies as it reflects the evolutionary value of the individual as a mate.

If you want healthy-looking hair, then pursue your health with adequate re-feeding and rest."

This makes sense in theory but it doesn't explain why starving homeless people in general seem to be more likely to have a full head of hair than well-fed people. I think hair might be more about avoiding metabolic toxins (such as PUFA) and maintaining a fast metabolism (via fructose, sunlight, avoiding excess fat, meat, and starch) than about eating enough calories and sleeping enough, except in severe anorexia and extreme cases of female hair loss. I don't think ordinary male hair loss is a sign of undereating or undersleeping, and believing that things will get worse might get better might just make him lose even more hair.