Hair Loss: Hormones Or Genetics?

REOSIRENS

Elevated blood levels of dht/cholesterol/glucose/testosterone/beta Alanine can cause hairloss... So elevated blood levels of dht do cause hairloss that's why t3 is important to regulate high blood levels of dht/cholesterol... Dht is elevated in the blood when individuals run out of t3 and Progesterone production and are under chronic stress....so dht is out there to compensate but when it runs high and without t3 or Progesterone it hurts scalp hair... When dht is too high it can cause increase of parathyroid hormones if body has low levels of Progesterone and t3... So should you take dht lowering drugs like propecia and statins(beta sitosterol) to avoid baldness? My answer is clear no! You have t3 to naturally regulate high dht/cholesterol and save your hair

DavePalumbo

I take the second option and choose to lose my scalp hair for the lovely dht ;)... dht is one of the best male hormones (if you like being a man) and a little bit of hairloss or hairiness won't harm you.

I suspect that it really is not so easy to elevate dht by simply lowering T3 and progesterone. Trenbolone is progestogenic (binds to progesterone receptors and causes typical progesterone related side-effects) and causes rapid hairloss. This is because trenbolone is a strong activator of the androgen receptors in more tissue types than dht is.

REOSIRENS

I take the second option and choose to lose my scalp hair for the lovely dht ;)... dht is one of the best male hormones (if you like being a man) and a little bit of hairloss or hairiness won't harm you.

I suspect that it really is not so easy to elevate dht by simply lowering T3 and progesterone. Trenbolone is progestogenic (binds to progesterone receptors and causes typical progesterone related side-effects) and causes rapid hairloss. This is because trenbolone is a strong activator of the androgen receptors in more tissue types than dht is.
A healthy masculine man doesn't have to have very high blood levels of dht all time...dht elevates when you are under massive stress that's why men have more physical resilience than women...problem arise when you are running on chronic high blood levels of dht ...as I said before when it is chronically high it will cause high parathyroid hormones that's why you see bald men with calcified skulls...you can throw plenty dht agonists but if you don't have prolactin/parathyroid hormone lowering agents like t3 and Progesterone you will not have buffed body and the best of libidos and increased physical response...

GAF

Some form of Temporal arteritis reduces blood flow to scalp. This erodes the epidermal soil on the mpb scalp until growing hair is like trying to grow grass on a rockpile.

The sides and back naturally may have thicker soil anyway and maybe that area receives more blood flow due to arterial design.

Restore the soil, restore the crop.

Some males may start out with a thicker pile of soil than others so their erosion takes more severe and longer blood restriction than others.

Androgen receptors in the scalp may kick in when the erosion becomes a problem producing sebum that provides some protection to the area.

The arterial inflammation results from the usual suspects.

Women may naturally have thicker soil than men and maintain the soil better due to the swelling properties of estrogen or whatever.

The medical treatment for temporal arteritis is aspirin and 2 years of steroids.

Why aren't you young guys, who still have some soil up there, hanging upside down for 30 minutes a day?

Finally, I would like to hear from cranial artery experts who know all the ins and outs of how the blood flow works and why the temporal arteries lose proper functioning.

My guess is that if one can restore adequate blood flow, the soil would regrow and then the crop would too.

tfcjesse

The medical treatment for temporal arteritis is aspirin and 2 years of steroids.

Why aren't you young guys, who still have some soil up there, hanging upside down for 30 minutes a day?.

Is this beneficial? On an inversion table I assume?

GAF

I have no idea, but if blood flow is the problem, it seems like a no brainer to do it every day.

Luckytype

I think its pretty clear genetics determines the threshold for metabolism, scalp bloodflow and hormonal influence to cause hair loss.

My reasonable brain says its not dht either because i was a freakin hornball since puberty, tried to bang every girl i met in additon to fapping.

Now both male sides have hair loss in my family. Im not a drinker(i had my episodes on college but im not big on it), no smoking no drugs.

***A data point - i had a slowly maturing hairline at 28-29, basically just the windows peak leveling out maybe creeping back a TINY bit. 175lbs lean, vascular, chronic gym dude etc..i cared so little about nutrition only calories. Stressful(physically) job, emotional stressfrom life etc.

I turn 30, ive reduced my stress, changed careers, dumped the toxicity from my life, still on probably a bit too much caffiene daily, food no better(maybe a tiny bit). I am however having a lot of sex and still gyming 3 hours per day(tons of volume, like 30 sets per body part for like 2-3 years) I do one more short cut for the beach in summer BOOM, massive shed, up to 100 hairs a day. Thinning rapidly, im literally about to pull the trigger on fin - decide no effing way, f that horrible stuff.

Long story short, i discover DT, begin massage my hair line RECOVERS(to better than it was in my 20s) but im still shedding - the catch here is that im shedding thick hair, nothing miniaturized. So basically im regrowing hair(specifically replacing what was likely just shed), it turns terminal, then falls out at lengths of 1 to 2 inches. All of the hair has a taper, which tells me my scalp just cant keep it IN anagen phase for any extended lenth, likely hormones saying "nope"

Well i started getting cold, feeling like ***t, lots of allergy type symptoms, i quit the gym cold turkey for 6 months, ate real actual food, and while it took 6 months my hair shed cut in half, maybe 65 percent.

8 weeks ago i reintroded the gym(twice a week for an hour each)...now im shedding heavier again.

Im here for input, but certainly can say that there is no way its just one thing.

Im 14 months in this battle and i swear it feels like im "almost there" but i just cant figure it out yet. Been hybrid peating since januaryish

Last edited:

ivy

I would like to contribute by saying I'm female and have had noticeable pattern baldness since I was 16 (I'm 36). Puberty most definetely changed me and with a hypothyroid mother one might think someone would address that... But there were no other suggested pathways apart from spironolactone and minoxidil. The first dermatologist I saw prescribed spiro without a word of warning about sides: it made my period come every 15 days. I stopped after two months and never went back to his office. Years later, I tried again, at half the dose, and it made me exhausted and emaciated, according to my relatives. At that point, I also realized it was to be taken forever, which means I would be somehow kidney dependant... It made me shriek.

Keeping some hair in my head without drugs has proven very hard. I was later diagnosed with IBS, but I can't say I can connect those two (my IBS has obvious links to my stress and anxiety levels, though.) What I do know is that from very early on there were signs of inflammation (scalp heat) and extreme sebum production (I've had a total 7 cysts removed) which minoxidil made worse, possibly because of the alcohol content. And in my thirties something else became noticeable: a long and extreme shedding season between late July and November, and a growing season, between December and May. I've had a FUE transplant of approximately 2100 follicles which helped from a purely aesthetic point of view, but this seasonal variation is so disturbing I'm thinking of shaving my head for good. I seem to have enough evidence to say it's both hormonal and environmental (genetic response to the environment), but I've no satisfying, safe means to adress any of these issues. At my hair clinic, they perform treatments I can't afford on a regular basis. They involve vapour, electric stimulation and suction, so the mechanical component is not to be neglected. They also sold me a post-op scalp serum which had sheep placenta as it's main ingredient...

Currently, I'm experimenting with handstands, vigorous brushing and no poo. I wash my hair with a mix of sodium bicarbonate, cider vinegar and water and rinse with black tea, followed by table water rinse (ph of around 5-5.5) Lemon rinse also feels great, but it will bleach your hair if you get a lot of sun. I'm trying to keep my stress manageable, I exercise everyday (slow cycling, walking with occasional sprints) and I'm very food cautious (low fat and low PUFA, virtually gluten free, starch only from rice and rice cakes, best tried fruits are orange, pinneaple and grapes, sheep dairy, some meat and fish, some greens, raw carrot, abundant salt, limited amount of coffee).

I've learned the hard way to avoid the trendy alkaline waters (they stop my digestion), to avoid garlic and onion (specific sugars=pain) and to not indulge in watermelon. This Peaty staple is terrible for me, I get cramps and weird gut fluids.

REOSIRENS

I would like to contribute by saying I'm female and have had noticeable pattern baldness since I was 16 (I'm 36). Puberty most definetely changed me and with a hypothyroid mother one might think someone would address that... But there were no other suggested pathways apart from spironolactone and minoxidil. The first dermatologist I saw prescribed spiro without a word of warning about sides: it made my period come every 15 days. I stopped after two months and never went back to his office. Years later, I tried again, at half the dose, and it made me exhausted and emaciated, according to my relatives. At that point, I also realized it was to be taken forever, which means I would be somehow kidney dependant... It made me shriek.

Keeping some hair in my head without drugs has proven very hard. I was later diagnosed with IBS, but I can't say I can connect those two (my IBS has obvious links to my stress and anxiety levels, though.) What I do know is that from very early on there were signs of inflammation (scalp heat) and extreme sebum production (I've had a total 7 cysts removed) which minoxidil made worse, possibly because of the alcohol content. And in my thirties something else became noticeable: a long and extreme shedding season between late July and November, and a growing season, between December and May. I've had a FUE transplant of approximately 2100 follicles which helped from a purely aesthetic point of view, but this seasonal variation is so disturbing I'm thinking of shaving my head for good. I seem to have enough evidence to say it's both hormonal and environmental (genetic response to the environment), but I've no satisfying, safe means to adress any of these issues. At my hair clinic, they perform treatments I can't afford on a regular basis. They involve vapour, electric stimulation and suction, so the mechanical component is not to be neglected. They also sold me a post-op scalp serum which had sheep placenta as it's main ingredient...

Currently, I'm experimenting with handstands, vigorous brushing and no poo. I wash my hair with a mix of sodium bicarbonate, cider vinegar and water and rinse with black tea, followed by table water rinse (ph of around 5-5.5) Lemon rinse also feels great, but it will bleach your hair if you get a lot of sun. I'm trying to keep my stress manageable, I exercise everyday (slow cycling, walking with occasional sprints) and I'm very food cautious (low fat and low PUFA, virtually gluten free, starch only from rice and rice cakes, best tried fruits are orange, pinneaple and grapes, sheep dairy, some meat and fish, some greens, raw carrot, abundant salt, limited amount of coffee).

I've learned the hard way to avoid the trendy alkaline waters (they stop my digestion), to avoid garlic and onion (specific sugars=pain) and to not indulge in watermelon. This Peaty staple is terrible for me, I get cramps and weird gut fluids.
Hi

Have you tried t3(low doses) caffeine shampoo and collagen type 1 and 3... They are very effective on hair disorders...but sometimes people don't believe...

Riboflavin (r5p) is very effective stopping hair loss

ivy

Hi

Have you tried t3(low doses) caffeine shampoo and collagen type 1 and 3... They are very effective on hair disorders...but sometimes people don't believe...

Riboflavin (r5p) is very effective stopping hair loss

@REOSIRENS, I tried collagen and I suspect it brought my psoriasis back, with no hair improvement. I don't want to take thyroid and I'm going no poo...

I can't find any mentions of Riboflavin stopping hairloss, is this derived from your experience?

sladerunner69

Synthetic androgens easily convert to estrogen, did you realize that?

Even synthetic androgens cause baldness. It clearly is androgenic. It is caused by excessive activation of androgen receptors locally at the scalp. The question is why we even have receptors there.
It's obvious that there are non-androgenic cases (castrated males with hair loss) but those are obviously rare.

sladerunner69

German scientists have pinpointed in some journals that male pattern balness is closely tied to thyroid disorders... And they have shown that Triiodothyronine is the ultimate hair protective hormone and levothyroxine works with Triiodothyronine to help hair elongation...estrogen promotes thyroid disorders and Progesterone protects and compensates in case of low thyroid...

Why t3 is so good for hair?
It's lowers prolactin... parathyroid...protects heart...and helps blood reach body extremities like head brain hair follicle

Yes indeed, I like your style. Do you have a source on the kraut scientists?

DavePalumbo

Synthetic androgens easily convert to estrogen, did you realize that?
This is not true. There are Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators SARMs and they do not convert to estrogen, and in some cases they cause hairloss. Also several designer steroids which are not selective in their binding to androgen receptors.
Remind me again, how does estrogen cause hairloss? By sensitizing androgen receptors. So in other words it all boils down to androgen receptors in the end. Same with gyno. Prolactin, progesterone and estrogen can all cause gyno.. but if you antagonize estrogen receptors then you deal with all mechanisms of gyno and solve the issue.

sladerunner69

This is not true. There are Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators SARMs and they do not convert to estrogen, and in some cases they cause hairloss. Also several designer steroids which are not selective in their binding to androgen receptors.
Remind me again, how does estrogen cause hairloss? By sensitizing androgen receptors. So in other words it all boils down to androgen receptors in the end. Same with gyno. Prolactin, progesterone and estrogen can all cause gyno.. but if you antagonize estrogen receptors then you deal with all mechanisms of gyno and solve the issue.

SARM's will increase estrogen and the stress hormone cascade because of their downstream effects.

Estrogen causes hairloss by inhibiting energy production at the cellular level, hair follicle cells have much higher energy demands compared to more standard cells. Have you read "hair like a fox"? It really frames male pattern baldness in a way that is much more cohesive than "estrogen sensitizing androgens" whatever that could mean...

DavePalumbo

RedStar is correct. You can crash your estrogen to dangerously low levels and still lose your hair. Some steroids cause estrogen deficiency (masteron, etc.) like dht does. Still hairloss occcurs, sometimes more rapidly.

Also what about severely overweight mean? They have more aromatase and evidently more estrogen, yet they tend to have more hair than skinny men. Fat men also have more of the enzyme that breaks down dht to "inactive metabolites".

Stramonium

I think it is important to take into account how people who suffer from Anorexia loose their hair, the same way a poor diet with empty calories (lots of starch and low in minerals and vitamins) may mimic the same effect. So you could say woman are genetically predisposed to keep their hairline with their higher progesterone production but if they are under extreme circumstances such as starvation they will inevitably loose their hair. You could say is hormonal or genetic but there are many other environmental factors that come into play like light exposure, diet, etc...

DavePalumbo

One explanation for why extremely low body fat percentages can lead to hairloss is a deficiency in the enzyme that breaks down dht, as it sits in fatty tissue like aromatase. Not sure if it is relevant to women but it is a possibility. Obviously there are non-hormonal reasons for hair loss..

RedStaR

One explanation for why extremely low body fat percentages can lead to hairloss is a deficiency in the enzyme that breaks down dht, as it sits in fatty tissue like aromatase. Not sure if it is relevant to women but it is a possibility. Obviously there are non-hormonal reasons for hair loss..

BMI is correlated with premature AGA.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals