Hair-loss Drugs (Finasteride) May Be Carcinogenic

haidut

Forum Supporter
Nothing surprising here, given how potently Finasteride lowers pregnenolone and allopregnanolone levels. The interesting part of the study is that it was the reduction of androgen (and especially DHT) levels caused by the 5-AR inhibitor Finasteride that act as "...cofactor in the genesis and development of malignant tumors of the upper aerodigestive tract."
Guess what else powerfully inhibits 5-AR? Well, it is PUFA of course:): And in the above study, administration of 25mg DHEA daily maintained remission of one of the patients. DHEA is both a precursor to DHT and an enhancer of 5-AR.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20213108

"...RESULTS: In the first case of a patient suffering from chronic hyperplastic laryngitis for 17 years, a close correlation was found between the treatment with the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor Finasteride, the drop in serum levels of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and the appearance of an invasive squamous cell carcinoma of the vocal cord. During the postoperative 7-year follow-up without recurrence the androgen serum levels were within normal range. The laryngeal mucosa did not display any further dysplastic changes. Retrospective studies of the biopsies demonstrated a significant degree of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) expression, the characteristic high degree of EGFR activity in all of the tumor tissue, and a significantly lower degree of activity in the subsequent excision biopsies. In the second patient, who had undergone previous surgery for mesopharyngeal cancer at another site before the present tumor operation, rapid recurrence was seen within 2 years. Despite radical revision surgery and subsequent irradiation the patient insisted on carrying on with his work. He complained about a general lack of stamina and libido. His androgen serum levels were at the low-end of the normal range and even below that. The daily administration of 25 mg dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) resulted in normal androgen serum levels and improved his wellbeing. He has been free of recurrence for 10 years."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Last edited by a moderator:

jyb

Do you know why some report a permanent side effect? I can understand how drugs can have a temporary effects on hormones (just like if we supplement DHEA for example), but what's happening when they report impotence still years after?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jyb said:
post 101693 Do you know why some report a permanent side effect? I can understand how drugs can have a temporary effects on hormones (just like if we supplement DHEA for example), but what's happening when they report impotence still years after?

I suppose it can cause long-lasting downregulation to both 5-AR and 3b-HSD, so both DHT and testosterone synthesis would be low. If I were a Finasteride survivor I would do 1-2 months of high dose pregnenolone (500mg+ daily), and then I would take low dose DHEA (15mg daily) for another 1-2 months. This should restore enzyme levels and steroids levels (to a degree). DHEA enhances both 3b-HSD and 5-AR.

i took finasteride when I was 19.. I'm 26 now and still feel the effects of impotence. However, stuff is getting better with peating, some of the pieces are coming together. I would say, stay far far away and use peating to get your hair loss back on track. That is straight poison. Good job on the research haidut. Pretty interesting. And scary.

Ashoka

haidut and jyb - after reading many forums, it seems to me thyroid and progesterone are the most effective tested treatments for finasteride side effects. I would be curious what would happen if someone tried haidut's potential suggestion. I remember reading on all things male that it can be hazardous mixing pregnenolone and DHEA, but maybe it depends on the dosages.

A while ago Peat told me that he believes finasteride can cause a malfunction of the liver and intestine. Any idea what he means by this?

schaef34

Has anyone tried haidut's advice? Suffering all the post-Finasteride side effects (3+ years) and considering the best way to proceed. Thanks.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ashoka said:
post 102988 haidut and jyb - after reading many forums, it seems to me thyroid and progesterone are the most effective tested treatments for finasteride side effects. I would be curious what would happen if someone tried haidut's potential suggestion. I remember reading on all things male that it can be hazardous mixing pregnenolone and DHEA, but maybe it depends on the dosages.

A while ago Peat told me that he believes finasteride can cause a malfunction of the liver and intestine. Any idea what he means by this?

Why would pregnenolone and DHEA in combination be dangerous? Can you provide the link to the forum that discussed it? I think a combination of pregnenolone and DHEA would be a prime supplement for recovering post-Finasteride.

TubZy

Has anyone tried haidut's advice? Suffering all the post-Finasteride side effects (3+ years) and considering the best way to proceed. Thanks.

During fin and coming off I had high liver enzymes the entire time and the doctors had no idea why....

I asked them if finasteride could cause it back then and they looked at me funny. I'm pretty my liver was struggling because 5AR happens in the liver and the fin was inhibiting it leading to estrogen increase and putting strain on the liver due to detoxing the excess estrogen...

High dose K2 and caffeine for liver!

Velve921

I suppose it can cause long-lasting downregulation to both 5-AR and 3b-HSD, so both DHT and testosterone synthesis would be low. If I were a Finasteride survivor I would do 1-2 months of high dose pregnenolone (500mg+ daily), and then I would take low dose DHEA (15mg daily) for another 1-2 months. This should restore enzyme levels and steroids levels (to a degree). DHEA enhances both 3b-HSD and 5-AR.

I used accutane as a kid and my mom was taking ssRI while I was in the womb; is there a protocol you find necessary for this type of history?

Dhair

How long did you all take finasteride for?
I only took it for a week or two before I started getting severe panic attacks. I don't think I have any long lasting negative sides. I guess a week or two isn't that long?

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I used accutane as a kid and my mom was taking ssRI while I was in the womb; is there a protocol you find necessary for this type of history?

I would test for DHT, cortisol and prolactin. SSRI drugs tend to affect the HPA system the most so prolactin/cortisol may be elevated and as such something like cyproheptadine or lisuride may be best. If DHT comes back low then DHEA/androsterone and some pregnenolne may help restore balance.

TubZy

No thyroid with it? I didn't even know you suggested that until now. High doses of preg is extremely helpful for me across all categories. Low doses didn't do much though. I take all 150mg in one dose in the morning. I think peat does one 300mg dose every ten days but obviously in my situation I was much more depleted...

@Dhair for 2 years I did. I had panic attacks, memory issues, anxiety after the first year of on it..

I think it's all down to low levels of GABA, allopreg etc. and high levels of cortisol that caused it. Other than that I had zero issues of anxiety or panic attacks in the past prior to taking fin

No thyroid with it? I didn't even know you suggested that until now. High doses of preg is extremely helpful for me across all categories. Low doses didn't do much though. I take all 150mg in one dose in the morning. I think peat does one 300mg dose every ten days but obviously in my situation I was much more depleted...

@Dhair for 2 years I did. I had panic attacks, memory issues, anxiety after the first year of on it..

I think it's all down to low levels of GABA, allopreg etc. and high levels of cortisol that caused it. Other than that I had zero issues of anxiety or panic attacks in the past prior to taking fin

i as well had very high liver enzymes at one test.... interesting. i started preg like a week or two ago, initially noticed amazing effects, however it has "worn off" and doesn't really do anything except make me feel warm, so i thought i hit the max... i'm only doing about about 30 to 40 mg though twice a day.. i think preg and prog are increasing my hair loss a lot... i'm not sure though, it's definetely not helping it though, but it does make me feel better, but not necessarily increase libiod, but just feel better

TubZy

i as well had very high liver enzymes at one test.... interesting. i started preg like a week or two ago, initially noticed amazing effects, however it has "worn off" and doesn't really do anything except make me feel warm, so i thought i hit the max... i'm only doing about about 30 to 40 mg though twice a day

That usually means your initial T4 has all be converted to T3 since preg activates the bile receptor for the conversion of t4 to t3. Did you try increasing thyroid dose with it? Or maybe increasing cholesterol and vitamin A?

That usually means your initial T4 has all be converted to T3 since preg activates the bile receptor for the conversion of t4 to t3. Did you try increasing thyroid dose with it? Or maybe increasing cholesterol and vitamin A?

i have been increasing sugar for sure... i am without a doubt getting enough now because i will down a lot of sugar with all meals and im doing at least 110+ grams of protein a day...

i didnt know that. no i havent been taking thyroid.

you know, i could have sworn when i took thyroid and progesterone, my hair loss went down A LOT... but with only progesterone, it went up. do you think that is the reason? it converted all T4 to T3? do you know where this info is posted at or did you have a source? this is the first time i'm seeing this info, man i really wish i had more of this type of information, sometimes i get lost with this really really in detail stuff like this.

TubZy

i have been increasing sugar for sure... i am without a doubt getting enough now because i will down a lot of sugar with all meals and im doing at least 110+ grams of protein a day...

i didnt know that. no i havent been taking thyroid.

you know, i could have sworn when i took thyroid and progesterone, my hair loss went down A LOT... but with only progesterone, it went up. do you think that is the reason? it converted all T4 to T3? do you know where this info is posted at or did you have a source? this is the first time i'm seeing this info, man i really wish i had more of this type of information, sometimes i get lost with this really really in detail stuff like this.

Yeah, right here.

How Pregnenolone And Progesterone Raise Metabolism