Hair Growth Promoting Effects Of Emodin

Light

[PDF] Hair growth promoting effects of emodin in telogenic C57BL/6 mice - Semantic Scholar
Emodin is an anthraquinone derivative from the roots of Rheum officinale Baill that possesses a variety of biological activities, including inhibition of 5α-reductase and prostaglandin D2. In this study, we investigated whether emodin promotes hair growth. After emodin was topically applied to the shaved dorsal skin of telogenic C57BL/6 N mice, the hair growth rate and morphological analysis were evaluated in dorsal skin for 15 days. After 13 days of treatment, minoxidil or emodin (0.01% or 0.1%)-treated groups showed remarkable regrowth of hairs relative to the vehicle control group. Scoring of the hair growth and rate of hair growth area for 15 days revealed that groups treated with minoxidil and 0.1% emodin were significantly higher than the vehicle control group. Histological examination revealed the emodin and minoxidil groups markedly recovered the number and morphology of hair follicles, including the subcutis depth, relative to the vehicle group. These results suggest that emodin has an excellent promoting effect in hair growth similar to that of minoxidil and might be useful for treatment of baldness or alopecia.

ddjd

thanks for post this @Light. very interesting.

im not sure if you've seen my previous posts theorising that hair loss and male pattern baldness are actually a result of dysfunctional cytochrome c oxidase due to high nitric oxide levels.

there are only three things that dissociate nitric oxide from Cytochrome c oxidase (according to haidut): red light- specifically 630/670/830nm, methylene blue, and......Emodin

copper also very important:
Copper Restores Damaged Cytochrome C Oxidase Activity

OP
Light

Light

thanks for post this @Light. very interesting.

im not sure if you've seen my previous posts theorising that hair loss and male pattern baldness are actually a result of dysfunctional cytochrome c oxidase due to high nitric oxide levels.

there are only three things that dissociate nitric oxide from Cytochrome c oxidase (according to haidut): red light- specifically 630/670/830nm, methylene blue, and......Emodin

copper also very important:
Copper Restores Damaged Cytochrome C Oxidase Activity
Interesting, I knew about copper for hair color but not for hair growth.
Have you had first hand experience with any of the substances you mentioned for hair health?

Inaut

Any thoughts on rhubarb root extract for emodin (and other anthraquinone content)? I heard it functions as a better "laxative" when compared to cascara due to much higher tannin content.

GorillaHead

I think emodin is good for hair growth for the same reason ketocanazole is good for hear growth.

apparently its an antifungal

then again i heard fungi make emodin

Sefton10

Any thoughts on rhubarb root extract for emodin (and other anthraquinone content)? I heard it functions as a better "laxative" when compared to cascara due to much higher tannin content.
Did you ever try this? I’m considering trying this rhubarb root extract as a cheaper alternative to aged cascara in the UK.

1609924958949.jpeg

The 50% ethanol extract of Polygonum multiflorum Thunb (Polygoni Multiflori Radix; Polygonaceae) showed potent 5alpha-reductase inhibitory activity. ...
Although emodin showed considerably less potent inhibitory activity than riboflavin, the inhibitory activity of the compound was more potent than that of alizarin (1,2-dihydroxyanthraquinone), an anthraquinone-type positive control.

Why does it always boil down to 5-AR, hm? ?

Although not being a very strong 5-AR inhibitor (they compare it to riboflavin which I didn't even know had any inhibitory activity - but I guess in a big enough concentration anything can disrupt enzymes).

Xemnoraq

The 50% ethanol extract of Polygonum multiflorum Thunb (Polygoni Multiflori Radix; Polygonaceae) showed potent 5alpha-reductase inhibitory activity. ...
Although emodin showed considerably less potent inhibitory activity than riboflavin, the inhibitory activity of the compound was more potent than that of alizarin (1,2-dihydroxyanthraquinone), an anthraquinone-type positive control.

Why does it always boil down to 5-AR, hm? ?

Although not being a very strong 5-AR inhibitor (they compare it to riboflavin which I didn't even know had any inhibitory activity - but I guess in a big enough concentration anything can disrupt enzymes).
What if the 5-ar reducing substances are helping not because theyre lowering androgens but because theyre increasing the concentration of progesterone? Progesterone is known as the main antifibrotic hormone, maybe theres supposed to be a good balance of progesterone to androgens for males and when estrogen becomes too high it upregulates adrenal androgens and increases the ratio of androgens to progesterone, just a thought but it really does always seem to be the 5-ar reducing things that work