Hair colour changes

dreamcatcher

Hi guys, does anyone know what causes black hair on one's arms turn blond/ginger?
A friend of mine started to eat a healthier diet, excluding PUFAs and following Ray Peat's ideas a year ago and now turning blond lol. Thank you.

OP
D

dreamcatcher

Yes. The person affected, had long hours of sun exposure daily for many years (working in nature most of the day) but the sudden hair pigment change only started a few months ago.

redsun

Hi guys, does anyone know what causes black hair on one's arms turn blond/ginger?
A friend of mine started to eat a healthier diet, excluding PUFAs and following Ray Peat's ideas a year ago and now turning blond lol. Thank you.
Perhaps more cysteine synthesis in the cells which could favor pheomelanin production over eumelanin production.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Perhaps more cysteine synthesis in the cells which could favor pheomelanin production over eumelanin production.
You are truly a wealth of knowledge!

redsun

This is interesting, have you got more info on the process?
Well its partly about the ability of the body to make cysteine. Which is done in the methylation cycle. Various enzyme mutations can then favor homocysteine to funnel through the transsulfuration pathway which then eventually leads to cysteine. And of course the opposite is also the case. I will link a website where a biochemist actually provides some answers on this. Of course as he says himself in his answer, the pathways and enzymes and such are highly regulated and dependent on genes. I forgot that also glutathione itself can be used, not just cysteine.

Drareg

Well its partly about the ability of the body to make cysteine. Which is done in the methylation cycle. Various enzyme mutations can then favor homocysteine to funnel through the transsulfuration pathway which then eventually leads to cysteine. And of course the opposite is also the case. I will link a website where a biochemist actually provides some answers on this. Of course as he says himself in his answer, the pathways and enzymes and such are highly regulated and dependent on genes. I forgot that also glutathione itself can be used, not just cysteine.

Thanks.
Peat recommends lowering methionine in the diet, methionine free diets in mousse/rat models extend life span by over 40%, interesting to think about.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals