Haidut- BUN, Idiopathic Anemia

goodandevil

Hey, do u think ceylon cinnamon might lower BUN? 72 year old male with anemia (hemoglobin 10) and high bun but normal creatinine. I think his anemia is from low cholesterol. Total cholesterol 124. @haidut BUN is 36mg/dl, normal creatinine (1.1). I dont know if the low cholesterol is responsible for the anemia since wbc are high, ut maybe his body is making those preferentially over rbcs. Breathing problems is main complaint, BUN is not always high and breatbing problems seem to persist with normal BUN. Still i think the ceylon cinnamon might be a good addition. Thyroid was tried at a half grain but didnt resolve the anemia, probably because chokesterol is so low, im guessing. I want to get him breathing normally first. Tried tianeptine to reduce serotonin to no avail. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161219-161142.png
    Screenshot_20161219-161142.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20161219-161126.png
    Screenshot_20161219-161126.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20161219-161120.png
    Screenshot_20161219-161120.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20161219-161110.png
    Screenshot_20161219-161110.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20161219-161105.png
    Screenshot_20161219-161105.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20161219-161101.png
    Screenshot_20161219-161101.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20161219-161053.png
    Screenshot_20161219-161053.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20161219-161047.png
    Screenshot_20161219-161047.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20161219-161041.png
    Screenshot_20161219-161041.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20161219-161036.png
    Screenshot_20161219-161036.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

WestCoaster

Something to keep in mind, Anemia is also tied to low B12. When one considers B12 is abundant in meats, it theoretically is difficult to be low in B12 unless someone is a vegan, but it's very common for people to be on the low side for B12. Low stomach acid can have a lot to do with this because there is not enough acid to break the vitamins and minerals out of the meat. Stomach acid can decrease over time, but also can decrease with a variety of medications, and antacids. From looking at your numbers a cholesterol number of 124 does seem quite low, and that can be consistent with low B12 which in turn can create Anemia. Now if you're not consuming enough red meats or eggs, simply eat more. If it's a case of you do consume a decent amount of them, then stomach acid is probably the issue; that can be alleviated by having a Tbsp or so of apple cider vinegar about 15 min before eating. Also try not to eat when feeling stressed, that can cause stomach acid levels to plummet as well. Keep in mind, low stomach acid is behind the root of many problems as it basically means you aren't getting the nutrients out of the food you think you are.

You will probably find that once your red blood cell count goes up, so will your cholesterol (and your B12, if you had that checked and have a base number to reference), will also go up.

OP
goodandevil

goodandevil

Something to keep in mind, Anemia is also tied to low B12. When one considers B12 is abundant in meats, it theoretically is difficult to be low in B12 unless someone is a vegan, but it's very common for people to be on the low side for B12. Low stomach acid can have a lot to do with this because there is not enough acid to break the vitamins and minerals out of the meat. Stomach acid can decrease over time, but also can decrease with a variety of medications, and antacids. From looking at your numbers a cholesterol number of 124 does seem quite low, and that can be consistent with low B12 which in turn can create Anemia. Now if you're not consuming enough red meats or eggs, simply eat more. If it's a case of you do consume a decent amount of them, then stomach acid is probably the issue; that can be alleviated by having a Tbsp or so of apple cider vinegar about 15 min before eating. Also try not to eat when feeling stressed, that can cause stomach acid levels to plummet as well. Keep in mind, low stomach acid is behind the root of many problems as it basically means you aren't getting the nutrients out of the food you think you are.

You will probably find that once your red blood cell count goes up, so will your cholesterol (and your B12, if you had that checked and have a base number to reference), will also go up.
Thanks for the reply. I think ur right about the stomach acid- he was on proton pump inhibitors, but not for that long. Red blood cell corpuscular volume is low, im not sure if that's consistent with pernicious anemia but ill have him try the b12 just the same, couldnt hurt.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hey, do u think ceylon cinnamon might lower BUN? 72 year old male with anemia (hemoglobin 10) and high bun but normal creatinine. I think his anemia is from low cholesterol. Total cholesterol 124. @haidut BUN is 36mg/dl, normal creatinine (1.1). I dont know if the low cholesterol is responsible for the anemia since wbc are high, ut maybe his body is making those preferentially over rbcs. Breathing problems is main complaint, BUN is not always high and breatbing problems seem to persist with normal BUN. Still i think the ceylon cinnamon might be a good addition. Thyroid was tried at a half grain but didnt resolve the anemia, probably because chokesterol is so low, im guessing. I want to get him breathing normally first. Tried tianeptine to reduce serotonin to no avail. Thoughts?

High BUN and normal creatinine is often seen in catabolic states with high serum cortisol and estrogen. In theory, dehydration and high protein intake can also cause it but it usually can't get the urea all the way up to 30. I would do a blood test for AM and PM cortisol, as well as prolactin, and estrone/sulfate. High cortisol can cause iron deficiency anemia. User @messtafarian had the same issue - high cortisol, iron deficiency anemia, high BUN. I would also repeat the iron panel and test all of the following together: serum iron, ferritin, transferrin, iron saturation index, serum copper, ceruloplasmin.

OP
goodandevil

goodandevil

High BUN and normal creatinine is often seen in catabolic states with high serum cortisol and estrogen. In theory, dehydration and high protein intake can also cause it but it usually can't get the urea all the way up to 30. I would do a blood test for AM and PM cortisol, as well as prolactin, and estrone/sulfate. High cortisol can cause iron deficiency anemia. User @messtafarian had the same issue - high cortisol, iron deficiency anemia, high BUN. I would also repeat the iron panel and test all of the following together: serum iron, ferritin, transferrin, iron saturation index, serum copper, ceruloplasmin.
Thank you very much haidut. Do you think the low cholesterol is a factor?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thank you very much haidut. Do you think the low cholesterol is a factor?

Low cholesterol is often observed in chronic catabolic states. It is one of the reason why the organism cannot produce progesterone and pregnenolone to balance the cortisol and the catabolism runs unopposed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals