Had to share pics of these quality eggs I found at a local Chicago supermarket...

RyanHeeney

Happy Egg Co is the brand

Attachments

• B8CE6FE0-7FB7-4A3D-B2DE-5339406025EF.jpeg
    B8CE6FE0-7FB7-4A3D-B2DE-5339406025EF.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 9991DF7E-9872-401B-BA15-39A43CBEC792.jpeg
    9991DF7E-9872-401B-BA15-39A43CBEC792.jpeg
    549.2 KB · Views: 56

Peatful

shine

The more orange the egg yolk is, the more the chicken have been fed plants with carotenoids.
In Germany we call it Eigelb (eggyellow). If you let chicken run around your house/farm and they only eat their natural diet of worms, insects and some seeds their eggs will have a yellow yolk.

Interestingly, most customers today prefer the orange yolk over the yellow one.

Amazoniac

The more orange the egg yolk is, the more the chicken have been fed plants with carotenoids.
In Germany we call it Eigelb (eggyellow). If you let chicken run around your house/farm and they only eat their natural diet of worms, insects and some seeds their eggs will have a yellow yolk.

Interestingly, most customers today prefer the orange yolk over the yellow one.
Sometimes the animals are given purified „Pigmente“ to shortcut their eggs' way to social media.
- DSM egg yolk pigmentation guidelines

Ben.

Yeah the egg yolk's colour is not necessarily indicative for quality.

What annoys me, where i live they feed basicly all hens with soja. It is "local" soja but still ...

Even the best eggs, organic, pasture raised etc. get fed alot of soja/corn additionally.

Mito

“Not all egg yolks are created equal. Nothing could make this clearer to the data-driven person than the fact that databases report egg yolks in The Netherlands as having more than twice as much K2 as egg yolks in the United States (32 vs 15 mcg/100 g yolk). One potential explanation for this is that chickens may be more likely to be raised on pasture and thus more likely to eat lots of high-quality grass in The Netherlands.

Thankfully, a pretty good indicator of the K2 content of egg yolk is the color of the yolk. Chickens obtain vitamin K1 from the grass they eat (remember grass is a leafy green!) and convert a portion of it to vitamin K2, which they put into the yolk. The reason K1 is in the grass in the first place is because it plays an essential role in photosynthesis. So does beta-carotene, which imparts a yellow or orange color to the yolk. The more rapidly growing grass that a hen eats, the more beta-carotene will accumulate in the yolk to make it a deeper yellow or even an orange color, and the more K1 will be converted into K2 and deposited in the yolk.

So, look for the egg yolks with the deepest yellow you can find. If you can find orange yolks, all the better!”

Ben.

So, look for the egg yolks with the deepest yellow you can find. If you can find orange yolks, all the better!

As shine and amazoniac said, they are often fed with carotene/carotenoids to make the yolk more orange.

How can one figure out if the egg realy came from pasture raised, naturally, species approiate fed chicken or if its just another marketing trap? Even organic farmers told me that theres soja/corn and carotene added to keep up with the markets demand from a visual level.
This one farmer told me: "Real natural chickens yolk would be a intense yellow".

I tried different eggs , deep yellow, orange, pale w/e, different brands and stuff ... i basicly choose one that just simply tasted the best. It is a pasture raised organic one with supplemental soja/corn but both in price and taste it was the best one i could find.

equipoise

As shine and amazoniac said, they are often fed with carotene/carotenoids to make the yolk more orange.

How can one figure out if the egg realy came from pasture raised, naturally, species approiate fed chicken or if its just another marketing trap? Even organic farmers told me that theres soja/corn and carotene added to keep up with the markets demand from a visual level.
This one farmer told me: "Real natural chickens yolk would be a intense yellow".

I tried different eggs , deep yellow, orange, pale w/e, different brands and stuff ... i basicly choose one that just simply tasted the best. It is a pasture raised organic one with supplemental soja/corn but both in price and taste it was the best one i could find.
Yes that's well known.

Organic eggs are a scam, trust me. Stick to cheapest supermarket eggs, like with milk. Organic has sense with carrots, fruit and stuff, but with eggs and milk, no way

Ben.

Yes that's well known.

Organic eggs are a scam, trust me. Stick to cheapest supermarket eggs, like with milk. Organic has sense with carrots, fruit and stuff, but with eggs and milk, no way

In milk and eggs organic just means the soy/corn they are fed is organic and theres more regulation/rules to follow. It is still is not the best way to feed/raise these animals.

Buying the cheapest eggs/milk is still the worst thing i could think of doing.
Also im sensetive to eggs taste, bad/cheap ones make me almost puke/spit it out.

Mito

How can one figure out if the egg realy came from pasture raised, naturally, species approiate fed chicken or if its just another marketing trap?
Maybe strength of shell? I’ve noticed that the more expensive pasture raised eggs have a strong shell while the inexpensive supermarket egg shells crack easily.

OP
RyanHeeney

RyanHeeney

Maybe strength of shell? I’ve noticed that the more expensive pasture raised eggs have a strong shell while the inexpensive supermarket egg shells crack easily.
Yep this... plus the viscosity of the white IMO.

Dr. B

Yes that's well known.

why is this, why/how are organic eggs and milk a scam? supermarket milk has lots of issues, like added fillers and vitamins

YamnayaMommy

Happy Egg Co is the brand
Those look beautiful. I haven’t seen that brand in our Lincoln square stores. We have an aldi within walking distance and I usually shop there for our family of five. Their best egg offerings are an organic “free range” dozen for around four dollars a dozen. They’re okay but not great.

equipoise

why is this, why/how are organic eggs and milk a scam? supermarket milk has lots of issues, like added fillers and vitamins
maybe in the US, in Europe it has no added fillers, standard milk comes without fat soluble fortification and its pretty good. I've tried all brands, and my experience is eerily similar to that of Ray. Raw milk is overrated, bacterial infections are not even rare and you dont want em, standard shelf milk is perfectly fine and much cheaper.

As for eggs, it's a well known fact that they add carotenoids to dye the yolk.

My friend did a masters thesis on store bought non-organic vs organic eggs and the conclusion was non-organic even had a better nutritional profile than organic.

Meat is another story, I'll deffo buy organic when I can, supermarket is most of the time of bad quality.

Dr. B

maybe in the US, in Europe it has no added fillers, standard milk comes without fat soluble fortification and its pretty good. I've tried all brands, and my experience is eerily similar to that of Ray. Raw milk is overrated, bacterial infections are not even rare and you dont want em, standard shelf milk is perfectly fine and much cheaper.

As for eggs, it's a well known fact that they add carotenoids to dye the yolk.

My friend did a masters thesis on store bought non-organic vs organic eggs and the conclusion was non-organic even had a better nutritional profile than organic.

Meat is another story, I'll deffo buy organic when I can, supermarket is most of the time of bad quality.

how/why would non organic eggs be better than organic? with organic in the US you are getting a guarantee theres no antbiotics, hormones, pesticides. i think organic even requires cows are fed at least 30% pasture, and some sort of requirement for chickens too. i can understand organic not having much benefit over non organic, but to say that non organic is somehow better than organic is almost an impossibility. the non organic milk/egg suppliers may make a claim like that, but there is just no way its true given with organic you are actually getting a guarantee at some level. certainly, organic doesnt guarantee a product is safe, or that its healthy for you, but if you have an organic and a non organic option, the organic option is almost guaranteed to be at the same level, if not better.
im not sure nutrient profile means anything, non organic animals may be given more vitamin and mineral supplements in their feeds.
for instance, non organic milk has significantly more iodine than organic milk. which is for the better since you dont want too much iodine. and the reason for it is that non organic cows may be supplemented with iodine/minerals, but also because they apparently use iodine based cleaners in non organic milk products.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals