Had Extreme Reaction To Milk And Vitamin D. Maybe Milk Alkali Syndrome?

jpgio

Two days ago I Drank milk for the first time in about a year and I also took about 2500iu of vitamin d like I normally do. I felt amazing for a few hours then all of a sudden my body had some sort of crazy reaction that I’m attributing to Hypercalcemia or milk alkali syndrome. My mouth got extremely dry and I had intense anxiety out of nowhere and I couldn’t fall asleep all night and stayed up into the next day And my heart was beating very fast. The next day I felt out of it which I’m sure partially had to do with not sleeping and I was having some pretty bad heart palpitation/skipped beats. I am feeling a lot better today still a little anxious and peeing a lot but have also drank a lot of water. Any inputs? And Do you guys think this is something I should go to the hospital for even though I’m feeling better? Btw I just had blood work done about a week ago before this episode and everything came back normal. Thank you

InChristAlone

Two days ago I Drank milk for the first time in about a year and I also took about 2500iu of vitamin d like I normally do. I felt amazing for a few hours then all of a sudden my body had some sort of crazy reaction that I’m attributing to Hypercalcemia or milk alkali syndrome. My mouth got extremely dry and I had intense anxiety out of nowhere and I couldn’t fall asleep all night and stayed up into the next day And my heart was beating very fast. The next day I felt out of it which I’m sure partially had to do with not sleeping and I was having some pretty bad heart palpitation/skipped beats. I am feeling a lot better today still a little anxious and peeing a lot but have also drank a lot of water. Any inputs? And Do you guys think this is something I should go to the hospital for even though I’m feeling better? Btw I just had blood work done about a week ago before this episode and everything came back normal. Thank you
Sounds like high adrenaline to me, did you try eating something with carbs?

OP
jpgio

jpgio

Yes I ate some mashed potatoes shortly after the reaction started happening it didn’t have much effect. I was pretty bloated from the milk as well because I apparently am pretty lactose intolerant from not drinking milk for so long.

J

james2388

Too many people on here are saying high adrenaline this and that which is absolutely BS. You are not doing sprints.
This sounds like a choline agonist, or antagonist from the vitamin D or there was solanine in your potatoes if they were not cooked enough or old, and if you ate the skins. More of a direct relationship between choline and cortisol.

Jessie

Heart palpitations are typically a result of excess cortisol, and/or magnesium deficiency. Try upping your magnesium and taking a 11b-hsd1 inhibitor (emodin, cascara, vitamin A, palmitate, etc.), this will probably resolve the issue. Always have sugar with meals. The number 1 cause of elevated cortisol is a chronic low-carb diet.

gaze

This was pretty obiously a reaction to the milk from not drinking it for a long time. Start off very slowly, maybe a sip a day, or drink lactose free milk. It is impossible for 2500 iu of Vitamin D and a glass of milk to cause instant hypercalcemia. it could also be a bad reaction to that brand of milk, maybe try to find unfortified or try a new brand

stackz07

Sounds exactly like what he describes here

lvysaur

Did it give you little pockets of gas? If not, it has nothing to do with lactose. Could be calcium still.

T

TheBeard

Heart palpitations are typically a result of excess cortisol, and/or magnesium deficiency. Try upping your magnesium and taking a 11b-hsd1 inhibitor (emodin, cascara, vitamin A, palmitate, etc.), this will probably resolve the issue. Always have sugar with meals. The number 1 cause of elevated cortisol is a chronic low-carb diet.

Everytime I'm on testosterone my resting heart beat is a lot faster.
Is that because I'm not consuming enough sugar to go along the increased metabolism from testosterone?

Jessie

Everytime I'm on testosterone my resting heart beat is a lot faster.
Is that because I'm not consuming enough sugar to go along the increased metabolism from testosterone?
It's probably increasing your nutrient demand for magnesium.

Is the heart actually palpitating, or is the BPM just higher due to increased metabolism?

Jessie

There's close to 0% chance that calcium is the culprit. You don't get hypercalcemia from 2500iu vit D and a glass of milk, lol. "Dr." Berg is a bro

InChristAlone

Tachycardia is the result of stress hormones so no I'm not wrong in suggesting that.

T

TheBeard

It's probably increasing your nutrient demand for magnesium.

Is the heart actually palpitating, or is the BPM just higher due to increased metabolism?

No palpitation just higher resting BPM.

T

TheBeard

Tachycardia is the result of stress hormones so no I'm not wrong in suggesting that.

My testosterone dose is so high that my cortisol is probably slashed to close to nothing.
Still my BPM is 30% higher when in testosterone vs not on anything.

So I'm not sure it all resides in the stress hormones.

somuch4food

There's close to 0% chance that calcium is the culprit. You don't get hypercalcemia from 2500iu vit D and a glass of milk, lol. "Dr." Berg is a bro

If it's not hypercalcemia, then what is it? I'm guessing magnesium deficiency and/or vitamin K2 deficiency atm.

I always feel tired and can have heart palpitations after having vitamin D. I have had it from supplements (ingested or topically), fortified milk and oily fish. I've also had an episode in the past when I bought a bread that I didn't know to be fortified with D and it resulted in joint pain for a month or so.

InChristAlone

My testosterone dose is so high that my cortisol is probably slashed to close to nothing.
Still my BPM is 30% higher when in testosterone vs not on anything.

So I'm not sure it all resides in the stress hormones.
But we aren't talking about a higher BPM, he said racing heart, that typically means greater than 110 BPM, which is called sinus tachycardia in the medical world. The main causes of sinus tachycardia are adrenaline or too much thyroid.

Jessie

No palpitation just higher resting BPM.
If it doesn't feel "uncomfortable" to you then it's probably just a result of higher metabolism, which is usually good. FWIW, it's probably much safer to raise the metabolism with thyroid than with T. But you gotta do whatever works, so just keep an eye on your aromatization. Estrogen can be toxic to the heart.

If it's not hypercalcemia, then what is it? I'm guessing magnesium deficiency and/or vitamin K2 deficiency atm.
It could cause hypercal in the right scenarios, but OP hasn't given us enough to go on atm. He states he consumed milk for the first time "in years." This assumption leads me to believe he didn't drink that much, maybe a glass or two at the most. You need significantly more dietary calcium then that to acheive hypercal, and you need it at a more consistent rate. Just one sitting of average milk consumption won't do it. This is why I think the mag deficiency or hypercortisolemia is more likely just based off what we've been told thus far. It's possible they need more K2 as well.

I always feel tired and can have heart palpitations after having vitamin D. I have had it from supplements (ingested or topically), fortified milk and oily fish. I've also had an episode in the past when I bought a bread that I didn't know to be fortified with D and it resulted in joint pain for a month or so.
How much vitamin D did you take? Did you take the same dose daily over a long period (3+ months)? Was it balanced with vitamin A&K? It's very common for fortified foods to use D2, which could be more toxic and interact with enzymes differently from D3.

somuch4food

How much vitamin D did you take? Did you take the same dose daily over a long period (3+ months)? Was it balanced with vitamin A&K? It's very common for fortified foods to use D2, which could be more toxic and interact with enzymes differently from D3.

It was D3 in the bread. A can of sardines or a drop of 400IU a day for a few days are enough to trigger symptoms. Taking K2 with it doesn't change the reaction. Vitamin A doesn't sit well with me either. My calcium metabolism seems to be messed up. I'm thinking low magnesium, low potassium or low K might be why.