Had Extreme Reaction To Milk And Vitamin D. Maybe Milk Alkali Syndrome?

OP
jpgio

jpgio

If it doesn't feel "uncomfortable" to you then it's probably just a result of higher metabolism, which is usually good. FWIW, it's probably much safer to raise the metabolism with thyroid than with T. But you gotta do whatever works, so just keep an eye on your aromatization. Estrogen can be toxic to the heart.

It could cause hypercal in the right scenarios, but OP hasn't given us enough to go on atm. He states he consumed milk for the first time "in years." This assumption leads me to believe he didn't drink that much, maybe a glass or two at the most. You need significantly more dietary calcium then that to acheive hypercal, and you need it at a more consistent rate. Just one sitting of average milk consumption won't do it. This is why I think the mag deficiency or hypercortisolemia is more likely just based off what we've been told thus far. It's possible they need more K2 as well.

How much vitamin D did you take? Did you take the same dose daily over a long period (3+ months)? Was it balanced with vitamin A&K? It's very common for fortified foods to use D2, which could be more toxic and interact with enzymes differently from D3.

I drank about 10oz. and it was in 2 cups of coffee that I normally drink with just honey but these had honey and milk. This reaction was extreme and I still cannot under stand how it could have happened. It felt like my body was so stimulated that it couldn’t handle it. Very very intense. It was frightening. I couldn’t sleep until the following night it kept me up around the clock.

Jessie

It was D3 in the bread. A can of sardines or a drop of 400IU a day for a few days are enough to trigger symptoms. Taking K2 with it doesn't change the reaction. Vitamin A doesn't sit well with me either. My calcium metabolism seems to be messed up. I'm thinking low magnesium, low potassium or low K might be why.
Try taking a bigger dose only once or twice a week. For example, maybe 2500iu once a week instead of lower daily dosages. 4oz of beef liver twice weekly would provide enough vitamin A to balance that. The magnesium and K2 is important as well.

I don't think it's absurd to suggest it may be low phosphate as well. This could be a potential blindspot that many "peatarians" aren't considering, and it may affect our community more than others when you take into account most people avoid both sugar and calcium. If you consider the fact that most people here eat high sugar diets, sugar will speed up the excretion of phosphate.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this of course, but if it's not factored in when consuming large amounts of calcium in tandem it could result in a scenario where you're losing P faster than you can bring it in. We do need some P, it's important for bones and teeth. Something to think about at least. If you're consuming large amounts of sucrose or fructose, you may not need that much calcium to keep phosphate in balance.

Jessie

I drank about 10oz. and it was in 2 cups of coffee that I normally drink with just honey but these had honey and milk. This reaction was extreme and I still cannot under stand how it could have happened. It felt like my body was so stimulated that it couldn’t handle it. Very very intense. It was frightening. I couldn’t sleep until the following night it kept me up around the clock.
At only 10oz the probability of it being hypercal is very slim, that's not even a lot of calcium really. Milk has roughly a 1:1 ratio of Ca to P. There's a greater chance that you experience an allergic response to something.

tankasnowgod

Two days ago I Drank milk for the first time in about a year and I also took about 2500iu of vitamin d like I normally do. I felt amazing for a few hours then all of a sudden my body had some sort of crazy reaction that I’m attributing to Hypercalcemia or milk alkali syndrome.

HA! No way on both counts.

Are you sure the vitamin D and milk didn't cause Cancer? Or Alzheimers? Or Hemochromatosis? Maybe Osteoporosis. Or Cushings. Or MS.

Both Hypercalcemia and Milk Alkali Syndrome take months (or longer) to develop. Hypercalcemia usually takes extremely high doses of vitamin D, usually over 100,000 iu taken for months at a time, or 600,000iu injected, or possibly a single dose in the millions of iu. Your Vitamin D dose is short a couple million for that.

Milk Alkali Syndrome usually develops after taking high doses of calcium supplements and/or milk along with high amounts of baking soda, for several weeks or months on end.

Bottom line, you didn't develop a long term chronic disease from drinking milk and taking a little Vitamin D, something that literally hundreds of millions of people do everyday without incident.

Sounds like some sort of acute stress response. If anything, it might be a milk allergy, or lactose intolerance, or maybe food poisoning.

InChristAlone

HA! No way on both counts.

Are you sure the vitamin D and milk didn't cause Cancer? Or Alzheimers? Or Hemochromatosis? Maybe Osteoporosis. Or Cushings. Or MS.

Both Hypercalcemia and Milk Alkali Syndrome take months (or longer) to develop. Hypercalcemia usually takes extremely high doses of vitamin D, usually over 100,000 iu taken for months at a time, or 600,000iu injected, or possibly a single dose in the millions of iu. Your Vitamin D dose is short a couple million for that.

Milk Alkali Syndrome usually develops after taking high doses of calcium supplements and/or milk along with high amounts of baking soda, for several weeks or months on end.

Bottom line, you didn't develop a long term chronic disease from drinking milk and taking a little Vitamin D, something that literally hundreds of millions of people do everyday without incident.

Sounds like some sort of acute stress response. If anything, it might be a milk allergy, or lactose intolerance, or maybe food poisoning.
Exactly, every symptom points to acute stress response.

Sefton10

Try taking a bigger dose only once or twice a week. For example, maybe 2500iu once a week instead of lower daily dosages. 4oz of beef liver twice weekly would provide enough vitamin A to balance that. The magnesium and K2 is important as well.

I don't think it's absurd to suggest it may be low phosphate as well. This could be a potential blindspot that many "peatarians" aren't considering, and it may affect our community more than others when you take into account most people avoid both sugar and calcium. If you consider the fact that most people here eat high sugar diets, sugar will speed up the excretion of phosphate.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this of course, but if it's not factored in when consuming large amounts of calcium in tandem it could result in a scenario where you're losing P faster than you can bring it in. We do need some P, it's important for bones and teeth. Something to think about at least. If you're consuming large amounts of sucrose or fructose, you may not need that much calcium to keep phosphate in balance.
This is an astute observation. Even Peat has said 2:1 phosphorus:calcium is okay. Given the amount of sugar most are consuming, this ratio is could easily be reversed in most.

Jessie

This is an astute observation. Even Peat has said 2:1 phosphorus:calcium is okay. Given the amount of sugar most are consuming, this ratio is could easily be reversed in most.
Yeah, I don't think it's really wise to go lower than 1:1 Ca to P. When Ca begins to rise higher than P, it's only logical to assume that you may run into very similar problems to having too much P. Of course this is generally something most people should never worry about, most people are getting far to much phosphate. But the Peat community is a minority demographic that should probably keep an eye on this balance. Remembering that the balance itself is what's important, not so much the loading of calcium.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals