Hack my Labs?

fermundacheez

Hey Peatarians! Usually I tend to experiment and research on my own, but these labs have me pretty stumped... so feel free to take a whack at what's going on here! I'm a young male, and have been carefully avoiding Poofuh foods for close to a year, but in that time I've noticed a worsening of severe insomnia and tooth decay, among other things.

Received 3/6/13
Test Name / Value / Reference Range

TSH [5.77] 0.4-4.5 mIU/L
T4, Free [1.0] 0.8-1.8 ng/dL
T3, Total [113] 76-181 ng/dL

Vitamin D, 25-OH D3 [32] 30-100 ng/mL
Sodium [142] 135-146 mmol/L
Potassium [4.4] 3.5-5.3 mmol/L
Chloride [106] 98-110 mmol/L
Calcium [9.7] 8.6-10.3 mg/dL - while drinking 1+ gallon of milk per day
CO2 [28] 19-30 mmol/L
Protein, Total [7.2] 6.1-8.1 g/dL
Alkaline Phosphatase [46] 40-115 U/L
AST [23] 10-40 U/L
ALT [26] 9-60 U/L
HbA1c [4.5] <5.7%

ACTH [38] 6-50 pg/mL
Cortisol [17] 3.0-17 mcg/dL
Estradiol [25] <= 39 pg/mL
Lactic Acid [6] 4-16 mg/dL
FSH [3.6] 1.6-8.0 mIU/mL
LH [5.2] 1.5-9.3 mIU/mL
Serotonin, Blood [pending, will edit]

Testosterone, Total [918] 250-1100 ng/dL - was ~870 in November, so consistent; probably being aromatized
Testosterone, Free [170.3] 35-155 pg/mL

Cholesterol [180s] (November and January) - this despite low thyroid and several hundred grams of sugar per day
If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

[Basic things such as thyroid, pregnenolone, vitamins, minerals, aspirin haven't done much for me (though the pregnenolone is probably behind those high testosterone readings). Acetazolamide was a powerful sedative at first, but it wore off over a few weeks, and I don't know about its long-term safety.]

jyb

I'm a 26 male sharing some of your symptoms.

When I Peated for a few months, my TSH didn't change much and stayed as high as yours. I then decided to take thyroid supplements as recommended (a few mcg of T3 or T4/T3 every hour or so) and after 1-2 months, my TSH was measured and it was <0.01 which is good according to Peat (but not according to most doctors).

Jenn

Tooth decay is a pH issue and lack of minerals. Calcium is the bricks but magnesium/potassium is the mortar. Don't eat more than you can digest. Drink a little bit of OJ with salt right before bed and keep some by the bed if you wake up at night. Epsom salts for magnesium at night, internally or in a bath, a foot bath works too.

cliff

what do you eat in a typical day?

Mittir

Your thyroid numbers are similar to numbers i had few years back., now i have 1.87 TSH . RP suggests that TSH should be below 2. You missed two major tests suggested by RP, Prolactin and para thyroid hormone PTH. Even though your calcium number is normal,it is a good idea get it tested. Vitamin D also plays a big role in PTH number. Your D is borderline low. I think your goal should be to lower your TSH. Selenium is also required for T4 to T3 conversion. Your high cortisol and Estradiol can block thyroid hormone. Are you eating daily raw carrot salad? It lowers your estrogen and endotoxin and improves your hormone balance. RP suggests extra salt and low liquid intake for hypothyroid people ( check RP's article on Water). It takes about 2-3 years for body to replace PUFA in tissues( it is different for people with different weight and metabolism) . If you post your typical food intake it would be easier to know if you are following the whole RP diet.

jnhermann

Your vitamin D is very low. For OPTIMUM health, Vitamin D should be AT LEAST 65, preferrably 80. Dont be fooled by 30 being in the "normal range". You may have Hashimotos (Autoimmune Thyroiditis) - about 90% of hypothyroid people do. You can test both thyroid antibodies. If you are eating grains or legumes, eliminate them. Try to avoid all alcohol and everything else pro-inflammatory. People with Hashimotos have tend to have an inability to assimilate regular vitamin D supplements. Biotics Research makes an emulsified Vitamin D (Bio D Forte) in a dropper bottle that is good for people who have this problem, as it is assimilated much better. Your body needs 4,000 IU a day to function and maintain existing vitamin d levels. To raise it, you need to take much more. I would take 20,000 IU per day of the Biotics Research Vitamin D supplement for 60 days, then test Vitamin D again. Get the bottle with 2,000 IU per drop. The bottle lasts a long time. There are probably close to 1000 drops in the bottle.

Which thyroid have you been taking?? If you have been taking a natural form, that could be a big issue. If you have thyroid antibodies, they will go after the natural thyroid once the liver breaks it down. This will inhibit the natural thyroid's ability to work. Antibodies will not have that same effect on synthetic thyroid. I would take Cynoplus. Your TSH is high, so you definitely need more thyroid to bring it down. Peat says it should be under 2, but he goes further than that and says around 1 is good.

Get your vitamin D up, up, up. It is a powerful immune system modulator and it is critical for so many functions.

OP
F

fermundacheez

cliff said:
what do you eat in a typical day?

Skim milk, orange juice, bamboo shoots, varying amounts of dates, honey, Red Bull, chocolate, coffee, parmesan cheese, gelatin. Occasionally an egg or some seafood. Lately a lot of extra salt and sugar.

I'll probably try minimizing the milk for awhile. For several weeks before the test I had been drinking over a gallon per day , but clearly it hasn't helped. In Southern California I haven't found any affordable low-fat that lacks vitamins and is well-fed.

cliff

What about organic pastures raw skjim milk? kinda pricey but not too bad. Or Traders joes cream top and skim it yourself. The flash pasteurized oj from trader joes is good too. What about liver/vitamin a? Are you eating frequently or large meals?

OP
F

fermundacheez

cliff said:
What about organic pastures raw skjim milk? kinda pricey but not too bad. Or Traders joes cream top and skim it yourself. The flash pasteurized oj from trader joes is good too. What about liver/vitamin a? Are you eating frequently or large meals?

I eat small meals. I used the Trader Joe's cream top for awhile, but often the fat wouldn't be totally solid, and even when it wasn't it wouldn't skim completely. I may try it again in smaller amounts. I like their raw OJ, since it strains completely. Where can you get that raw milk (I'm in the South Bay)?

For most of 2012 (before I read Peat and for months afterward), I used to eat grassfed liver (while in Virginia and parts of Europe) multiple times per week, because I craved it and it was more affordable than other proteins. That probably caused me some issues - I still have orange calluses on my hands - and I haven't eaten it for a few months. I think those large amounts may have contributed to my cholesterol and vitamin D being somewhat low.

OP
F

fermundacheez

Mittir said:
You missed two major tests suggested by RP, Prolactin and para thyroid hormone PTH. Even though your calcium number is normal,it is a good idea get it tested. Vitamin D also plays a big role in PTH number. Your D is borderline low.

I don't think those tests would have revealed anything - I'm assuming the PTH is bad, since the calcium is high. I think I'll use some vitamin D, but last spring and summer I had these issues while getting a lot of sun.

Mittir said:
Selenium is also required for T4 to T3 conversion.

Cocoa has some selenium. It's hard for me to afford good milk and eggs, but I will probably start eating squid regularly - it's cheaper, leaner, lower in iron, and far better-tasting than Pacific oysters.

Mittir said:
Your high cortisol and Estradiol can block thyroid hormone. Are you eating daily raw carrot salad? It lowers your estrogen and endotoxin and improves your hormone balance.

I eat a ***t-ton of sugar, sometimes 600+ grams - though that will go down as I drink less milk. I have used bamboo shoots, and some charcoal, for months.

Mittir said:
RP suggests extra salt and low liquid intake for hypothyroid people.

For a few weeks I have consumed OJ mostly through gummy candy, which I make with 1/2 cup of salt along with sugar and gelatin. I sometimes do the same with coffee, as a mocha syrup.

cliff

Sprouts market or the torrance farmers market.

The raw one is good but I find the flash pasteurized taste better a lot of the time and is a little cheaper.

OP
F

fermundacheez

cliff said:
Sprouts market or the torrance farmers market.
Yeah, I found it at Sprouts. Never been there before. They have all sorts of weird meats.

The raw one is good but I find the flash pasteurized taste better a lot of the time and is a little cheaper.
I don't think I've ever tried it. Cheaper never hurts.

OP
F

fermundacheez

jnhermann said:
I would take 20,000 IU per day of the Biotics Research Vitamin D supplement for 60 days, then test Vitamin D again.

20,000?! I'm thinking more like 5-8,000 IU on the skin. I ordered Thorne D/K2.

Which thyroid have you been taking??

I have both of the Mexican types. My reactions were difficult to interpret. After 1/4 Cynoplus I had a super-fast heartbeat (maybe 120+), and with smaller amounts I sometimes had slight neuromuscular twitches (which I have experienced intermittently over the years). With only Cynomel, I would have a pounding heartbeat upon waking (and other such high-pituitary symptoms), but felt more comfortable than usual sleeping in high-heat. Neither helped me fall asleep quickly.

OP
F

fermundacheez

jyb said:
I'm a 26 male sharing some of your symptoms.

When I Peated for a few months, my TSH didn't change much and stayed as high as yours. I then decided to take thyroid supplements as recommended (a few mcg of T3 or T4/T3 every hour or so) and after 1-2 months, my TSH was measured and it was <0.01 which is good according to Peat (but not according to most doctors).

I have tried T3-every-hour-or-so, and it seems to keep the pulse up, but the signs weren't entirely conclusive for me. I only ever tried Cynoplus at night. What has worked best for you? I may try 1/8 Cynoplus 2x/day, with T3 sprinkled in whenever.

OP
F

fermundacheez

Jenn said:
Tooth decay is a pH issue and lack of minerals.

I don't see how I could be lacking in mineral intake, just mineral metabolism - probably the low vitamin D is at play.
I just bought a glass straw.

kiran

fermundacheez said:
Jenn said:
Tooth decay is a pH issue and lack of minerals.

I don't see how I could be lacking in mineral intake, just mineral metabolism - probably the low vitamin D is at play.
I just bought a glass straw.

Are you getting enough calcium? Tooth decay can be a sign of high PTH.

OP
F

fermundacheez

kiran said:
Are you getting enough calcium? Tooth decay can be a sign of high PTH.

When I took those tests I was GOMADing, plus eggshell. The PTH may well still be high, with the lowish vitamin D.