Habitual coffee drinkers display a distinct pattern of brain functional connectivity

ReSTART

Habitual coffee drinkers display a distinct pattern of brain functional connectivity

In conclusion, higher consumption of coffee and caffeinated products has an impact in brain functional connectivity at rest with implications in emotionality, alertness, and readiness to action.

The other network impacted by coffee intake was the limbic network, which is involved in processing the sensory input from the external and internal environment which, by modulating memory and motivation, determine emotional, autonomic, motor, and cognitive responses. A previous resting-state PET study showed reduced metabolic activity in components of this network after caffeine ingestion and a study using a hedonic fMRI task showed decreased activation in neuronal areas associated with memory and reward in caffeine consumers compared to non-consumers; the present FC data are consistent with those reports.

Our results are open to two interpretations: higher coffee/caffeine consumption leads to increased stress and anxiety; or, alternatively, higher stress and anxiety induce higher coffee/caffeine consumption. Moreover, given that resting-state studies using stress and anxiety samples have shown both decreases and increases in FC, the possibility that coffee/caffeine consumption elicits decreases in FC or compensates for FC beyond a certain threshold, must also be considered.

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

This means nothing. We don't understand how the brain functions, and can make no real conclusions from studies like this. We do know that coffee drinkers are healthier, and caffeine us positive effects in animal studies.

Nik665

This is a good study! Thank you! I think coffee can be good or bad depending on what you mean yes It! Makes us feel good and more alert but for some even more than enough milk and sugar still the caffeine induces a cortisol response. I also think this shows that substances like coffee can have different uses example or is good for feeling good awake alert but in turn memory is decreased which has also been shown in other studies. Personally o can have one cup more than that and o can’t sleep at night even if I drink them before 10 am. We are all different

valyd45

I think that mold on coffee beans can be why many have bad reactions. There are brands of certified mold-free coffee. Mico toxins reek havoc with the body.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals