Haagen Dazs Vanilla vs. Vanilla Bean

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
My local store just got the Haagen Dazs Vanilla Bean in and I tried it and it tastes really good. However, I wonder if its optimal for the Ray Peat Plan or should I stick with just regular vanilla?

Orchid

Wouldn't think it really matters. I eat the vanilla bean one frequently. I have to confess that by far my favorite flavor is the green tea, followed distantly by coffee.

Birdie

Charlie, the only thing might be that you'd rather have the extract than the bean itself. But I don't know that H-D uses the extract for the vanilla. They may just make a paste of the vanilla and bleach it. I mean who knows.

Using vanilla extract would be the same principle as cooking your greens to extract nutrients and then throwing them away.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thats what I was thinking, Birdie. Extract would be better. But dang that vanilla bean taste good!

Birdie

I haven't tried it lately but the regular vanilla is creamy. I don't like bits. Except mint in chocolate, but that one has the extra ingredients. Just as well, I'd eat too much.

Are the ingredients the same as the vanilla one? I thought there were just 3 safe flavors: coffee, vanilla and chocolate. ????

Birdie

noblessoblige said:
I like Vanilla Bean.
Good for you for bumping this.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No, it has one extra ingredient, vanilla bean. I will most likely finish this last one and switch back to regular vanilla.

Orchid

Birdie said:
I haven't tried it lately but the regular vanilla is creamy. I don't like bits. Except mint in chocolate, but that one has the extra ingredients. Just as well, I'd eat too much.

Are the ingredients the same as the vanilla one? I thought there were just 3 safe flavors: coffee, vanilla and chocolate. ????
Green tea also only has 5 ingredients, as does strawberry. Those two aren't very Peat friendly though, but damn the green tea one is so good.

Bones

I think the difference that stood out for me was Vanilla Bean had "natural flavors" while vanilla had specifically listed "vanilla extract"