Haagen Dazs Vanilla vs. Vanilla Bean

Discussion in 'Ice Cream' started by charlie, Nov 19, 2012.

1. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

My local store just got the Haagen Dazs Vanilla Bean in and I tried it and it tastes really good. However, I wonder if its optimal for the Ray Peat Plan or should I stick with just regular vanilla?

2. Orchid

Orchid Member

Wouldn't think it really matters. I eat the vanilla bean one frequently. I have to confess that by far my favorite flavor is the green tea, followed distantly by coffee.

3. gretchen

gretchen Member

I like Vanilla Bean.

4. Birdie

Birdie Member

Charlie, the only thing might be that you'd rather have the extract than the bean itself. But I don't know that H-D uses the extract for the vanilla. They may just make a paste of the vanilla and bleach it. I mean who knows.

Using vanilla extract would be the same principle as cooking your greens to extract nutrients and then throwing them away.

5. OP
    charlie

Thats what I was thinking, Birdie. Extract would be better. But dang that vanilla bean taste good!

6. Birdie

Birdie Member

I haven't tried it lately but the regular vanilla is creamy. I don't like bits. Except mint in chocolate, but that one has the extra ingredients. Just as well, I'd eat too much.

Are the ingredients the same as the vanilla one? I thought there were just 3 safe flavors: coffee, vanilla and chocolate. ????

7. Birdie

Birdie Member

Good for you for bumping this.

8. OP
    charlie

No, it has one extra ingredient, vanilla bean. I will most likely finish this last one and switch back to regular vanilla.

9. Orchid

Orchid Member

Green tea also only has 5 ingredients, as does strawberry. Those two aren't very Peat friendly though, but damn the green tea one is so good.

10. Bones

Bones Member

I think the difference that stood out for me was Vanilla Bean had "natural flavors" while vanilla had specifically listed "vanilla extract"