Haagen-Dazs Cheaper Alternative

OP
TheHound

TheHound

Sensations brand vanilla ingredients: Cream, Milk, Sugar, Skim Milk Powder, Frozen Egg Yolk, Vanilla

thanks for this recommendation! looks like I'll be heading to sobeys to check it out

Kray

I have to admit-- our family are H-D snobs! We usually eat the basics-- van, choc, coffee, and occasionally strawberry, since they're the very basic "ice cream" ingredients (no corn syrups in these flavors). One mention about the corn, soy, etc is that Peat's take on the dairy is that because of the cow's ruminant digestive design, probably the milk products aren't as much a worry as eating the same cow's meat. I suppose any ice cream with eggs can be problematic more so than the dairy if you consider what chickens eat and that their stomachs aren't designed the same protective way as cows. We've tried a lot of the alternate brands and quite honestly, nothing beats the creaminess, texture, or flavor as H-D, so I willingly sacrifice my Peat ideals at the altar of self-indulgence! Does that make anyone feel better? :happy:

Kray

SuchSat: Nice find! That would be just enough capacity to feed our family in one sitting. Do you own one of these? It certainly seems to get the good reviews. Would be interesting to see the cost comparison of making 2 qts vs. buying 2 qts H-D. If I made my own, I would choose pasture-raised, free-range eggs, organic raw milk, cream, organic fruits. Quite possibly would cost more than H-D, but might be a peace-of-mind issue in the long run. We eat about 6 qts of ice cream a week!!!

With $2.50 per liter grass-fed milk and $4.50 per lb grass-fed cream and organic sugar I could make it for about half the cost of Häagen-Dazs. No eggs go in ice-cream unless you're trying to tweak the texture or you're storing it.

Kray

@classicallady BJ's carries the HD half gallon size of vanilla for around $10, which saves a little.
Thanks for the tip. Not sure if we have that store in my parts. We're paying $13+/half gallon HD vanilla, so good for you! The ice cream maker sounds appealing $$$-wise, but to keep us in business I might not get anything more done in a week than making ice cream!

HDD

@classicallady I don't buy it anymore because I found I consumed more. I do better when I get the single serving size. Not economical, but less waist.

Kray

@classicallady I don't buy it anymore because I found I consumed more. I do better when I get the single serving size. Not economical, but less waist.

Understandable! Did you mean "waste"? Never mind, both are true, less waist and less waste! :) What is your weapon of choice these days?

I really do think that creaminess is too hard to resist. Maybe if we did try the machine and made it without eggs we could learn to like it and save $$$.

Lynne

Heads-up for Australian ice cream lovers: Woolworth hasn't stocked vanilla Haagen Dazs for more than a year but in the catalogue that came out today HD is 1/2 price and vanilla is the flavour pictured. I doubt this is a mistake as they haven't shown vanilla in their specials pics since they stopped stocking it. At $5.75, it's a lot more doable than the usual $12 from the few places still stocking vanilla, and maybe if enough people buy it they might start stocking it again . . . :)

Herbie

Heads-up for Australian ice cream lovers: Woolworth hasn't stocked vanilla Haagen Dazs for more than a year but in the catalogue that came out today HD is 1/2 price and vanilla is the flavour pictured. I doubt this is a mistake as they haven't shown vanilla in their specials pics since they stopped stocking it. At $5.75, it's a lot more doable than the usual $12 from the few places still stocking vanilla, and maybe if enough people buy it they might start stocking it again . . . :)

Nice.

It makes no sense for the average Australian to buy that tiny tub for $12 when you look at the other stuff.

I searched everywhere except aldi and everything has a gum in it.

Such BS we have to put up with most food being inedible

Last edited:

CrystalClear

I've been able to get it at IGA stores in country NSW. Only as a treat though due to price.

Lynne

Haagen Dazs is on special at Woolworths (Aust) until Tuesday for $7 :D Great that vanilla seems to regular stock again after about 2 years absence. Stock up!