H.Pylori Protective?

Kyle Bigman

Ok, so I know there is a lot of discussion about H. Pylori on here. I tend to get GERD and it has been flaring up recently, so doing some research, I found this interesting finding regarding the development of Barrett's esophagus from GERD.

" In people with frequent GERD symptoms, BE risk was almost 80% lower among Helicobacter pylori-positive patients (OR = 2.60, 95% CI 1.26–5.40) than those negative for H. pylori (OR = 8.24, 95% CI 5.00–13.6)."

Age at Onset of GERD Symptoms Predicts Risk of Barrett’s Esophagus

Why would this be the case? I think a lot of us with GERD blame the issue on H. Pylori and try to eradicate it – but what if this would increase our likelihood of developing Barrett's?

StephanF

Forum Supporter
My wife was treated for a stomach ulcer three years ago. At about the same time, she received a root canal treatment. A recent 3D x-ray scan (amazingly detailed!) revealed a shadow on one of the three roots of the treated molar. We are not sure if this is in remission or if this is still an active infection.

I was curious and did a search on H. Pylori and root canals and found a medical review article where they referred to infected roots of teeth as 'H. Pylori reservoirs' from which the patient would again and again become reinfected. I think it was this article that I first read:

Helicobacter pylori and its reservoirs: A correlation with the gastric infection

michael94

Ok, so I know there is a lot of discussion about H. Pylori on here. I tend to get GERD and it has been flaring up recently, so doing some research, I found this interesting finding regarding the development of Barrett's esophagus from GERD.

" In people with frequent GERD symptoms, BE risk was almost 80% lower among Helicobacter pylori-positive patients (OR = 2.60, 95% CI 1.26–5.40) than those negative for H. pylori (OR = 8.24, 95% CI 5.00–13.6)."

Age at Onset of GERD Symptoms Predicts Risk of Barrett’s Esophagus

Why would this be the case? I think a lot of us with GERD blame the issue on H. Pylori and try to eradicate it – but what if this would increase our likelihood of developing Barrett's?

H. Pylori In Anime