Gut Vagal Afferents Differentially Modulate Innate Anxiety and Learned Fear

ursidae

Gut Vagal Afferents Differentially Modulate Innate Anxiety and Learned Fear

Abstract

Vagal afferents are an important neuronal component of the gut–brain axis allowing bottom-up information flow from the viscera to the CNS. In addition to its role in ingestive behavior, vagal afferent signaling has been implicated modulating mood and affect, including distinct forms of anxiety and fear. Here, we used a rat model of subdiaphragmatic vagal deafferentation (SDA), the most complete and selective vagal deafferentation method existing to date, to study the consequences of complete disconnection of abdominal vagal afferents on innate anxiety, conditioned fear, and neurochemical parameters in the limbic system.

We found that compared with Sham controls, SDA rats consistently displayed reduced innate anxiety-like behavior in three procedures commonly used in preclinical rodent models of anxiety, namely the elevated plus maze test, open field test, and food neophobia test. On the other hand, SDA rats exhibited increased expression of auditory-cued fear conditioning, which specifically emerged as attenuated extinction of conditioned fear during the tone re-exposure test.

The behavioral manifestations in SDA rats were associated with region-dependent changes in noradrenaline and GABA levels in key areas of the limbic system, but not with functional alterations in the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal grand stress. Our study demonstrates that innate anxiety and learned fear are both subjected to visceral modulation through abdominal vagal afferents, possibly via changing limbic neurotransmitter systems. These data add further weight to theories emphasizing an important role of afferent visceral signals in the regulation of emotional behavior.

ETH Zürich wrote a more approachable article about this here

MarcelZD

I can attest to this, vagal nerve stimulation attenuates anxiety almost instantly for me. I use Swedish bitters dissolved in alcohol and let it rest on my tongue for a few minutes. One of the most pleasant supplements I have tried.

xetawaves

I can attest to this, vagal nerve stimulation attenuates anxiety almost instantly for me. I use Swedish bitters dissolved in alcohol and let it rest on my tongue for a few minutes. One of the most pleasant supplements I have tried.
Can I ask what made you try swedish bitters for this? Interested in reading more into it. I've noticed my anxiety/panic attacks/depression are directly linked to my stomach. I will get a nauseous/hunger pang sensation in my stomach every single time my anxiety comes out of nowhere. For a long time, I thought it was my anxiety causing these gastric symptoms, but now I believe it to be the other way around. The gastric symptoms always precede the anxiety/depressive episodes. When the gastric symptoms stop, so do the psychological symptoms. I believe the vagus nerve is at play here somehow.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom