Gut Motility Rules Them All

I posted this on another thread but want to draw attention to it.

I think if your small and large intestine are fast, transit time is speeded up, endotoxins lower and in theory everything should be peachy keen.

There is evidence that a type of microbe called archaea can create methane and slow down bowel transit time. Killing this isn't easy.

Metabolic effects of eradicating breath methane using antibiotics in prediabetic subjects with obesity. - PubMed - NCBI

Elevated methane levels in small intestinal bacterial overgrowth suggests delayed small bowel and colonic transit

OP
ecstatichamster
Came across a study showing that gut transit time is not necessarily measured by number of bowel movements per day.

Using the Bristol scale, increasing transit time softens the stool and changes its shape/nature.

But more bowel movements a day would be better I think because how else is the waste going to be eliminated, so as not to continue creating endotoxins.

yerrag

Came across a study showing that gut transit time is not necessarily measured by number of bowel movements per day.
How is this possible?

Is it like making making a lump sum payment of 4 quarterly dues in the middle of the year instead of paying your quarterly dues every quarter? So one bowel movement in the middle of the day instead of 4 bowel movements spread throughout the day?

OP
ecstatichamster
How is this possible?

Is it like making making a lump sum payment of 4 quarterly dues in the middle of the year instead of paying your quarterly dues every quarter? So one bowel movement in the middle of the day instead of 4 bowel movements spread throughout the day?

Of course it does to some degree.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/00365529709011203

Background: Stool form scales are a simple method of assessing intestinal transit rate but are not widely used in clinical practice or research, possibly because of the lack of evidence that they are responsive to changes in transit time.

We set out to assess the responsiveness of the Bristol stool form scale to change in transit time.

Methods:
Sixty-six volunteers had their whole-gut transit time (WGTT) measured with radiopaque marker pellets and their stools weighed, and they kept a diary of their stool form on a 7-point scale and of their defecatory frequency. WGTT was then altered with senna and loperamide, and the measurements were repeated.

Results:
The base-line WGTT measurements correlated with defecatory frequency (r = 0.35, P = 0.005) and with stool output (r= -0.41, P = 0.001) but best with stool form O=-0.54, P< 0.001).

When the volunteers took senna (n = 44), the WGTT decreased, whereas defecatory frequency, stool form score, and stool output increased (all, P< 0.001).

With loperamide (n = 43) all measurements changed in the opposite direction. Change in WGTT from base line correlated with change in defecatory frequency (r= 0.41, P < 0.001) and with change in stool output (r= -0.54, P < 0.001) but best with change in stool form (r= -0.65, P < 0.001).

Conclusions: This study has shown that a stool form scale can be used to monitor change in intestinal function. Such scales have utility in both clinical practice and research.

yerrag

Of course it does to some degree.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/00365529709011203

Background: Stool form scales are a simple method of assessing intestinal transit rate but are not widely used in clinical practice or research, possibly because of the lack of evidence that they are responsive to changes in transit time.

We set out to assess the responsiveness of the Bristol stool form scale to change in transit time.

Methods:
Sixty-six volunteers had their whole-gut transit time (WGTT) measured with radiopaque marker pellets and their stools weighed, and they kept a diary of their stool form on a 7-point scale and of their defecatory frequency. WGTT was then altered with senna and loperamide, and the measurements were repeated.

Results:
The base-line WGTT measurements correlated with defecatory frequency (r = 0.35, P = 0.005) and with stool output (r= -0.41, P = 0.001) but best with stool form O=-0.54, P< 0.001).

When the volunteers took senna (n = 44), the WGTT decreased, whereas defecatory frequency, stool form score, and stool output increased (all, P< 0.001).

With loperamide (n = 43) all measurements changed in the opposite direction. Change in WGTT from base line correlated with change in defecatory frequency (r= 0.41, P < 0.001) and with change in stool output (r= -0.54, P < 0.001) but best with change in stool form (r= -0.65, P < 0.001).

Conclusions: This study has shown that a stool form scale can be used to monitor change in intestinal function. Such scales have utility in both clinical practice and research.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm glad that high frequency of bowel movement is not necessary. It's very inconvenient using a public restroom, and really repugnant lol

OP
ecstatichamster
Thanks for the explanation. I'm glad that high frequency of bowel movement is not necessary. It's very inconvenient using a public restroom, and really repugnant lol

Agreed and stool Bristol type is a proxy for transit time. Good to be able to Know transit time.

Amazoniac

Dear rodent/full-time sexual beast,

- Risk of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in patients receiving proton pump inhibitors versus proton pump inhibitors plus prokinetics

--
Slowing down isn't surprising since various toxins should deenergize tissues and do the same. This is what I find curious:
- Infectious diarrhea: Cellular and molecular mechanisms

The expected response to eminem infections is to speed up the movement to correct it in time, but I amn't sure if chronic low-grade harm is enough signal, there's a trade-off involved and the person won't be able to keep up for too long.

Cirion

A quick personal anecdote...

Being well rested is one of the #1 ways to improve BM's. For example, last night I slept 12 hrs (I need lots of sleep because I'm fat currently), and 3 large BM's in a row the following morning (and subsequently dropped a couple lb of bloat). If I don't get enough sleep, I often only get just 1 BM in the morning and retain bloat. Bloating is a huge concern for me being fat, so anything I can do to bring it down is key, and for me, one of those keys is lots of sleep.

OP
ecstatichamster
“Ozonated” magnesium seems to work to speed gut motility. I doubt you have to take it very long. I wonder what Dr. Peat would think about it?

It works by releasing oxygen in the gut and kills archaea especially. Probably kills lots of things. I didn’t have any die off reaction. Just faster motility.

Remember you can look at your bowel movement and judge motility by the Bristol scale.

I have been defecating twice a day also.

I am also trying Cordyceps extract which contains lovostatin and also kills archaea. Not taking it every day.

I notice this increases oxytocin which is very interesting to me. The Ozonated magnesium may be doing that too.

The archaea produce methane and methane slows motility.

OP
ecstatichamster
Just a follow up. I haven’t been taking anything to kill archaea for a few weeks due to travel. And I’ve been eating poorly. Motility is still not bad, better than before I started the archaea-killing experiment. I believe many gut issues could be solved with a course of “Ozonated magnesium” and/or cordyceps extract.

I use the Bristol scale now every time I poop and my motility has increased and it has stayed a bit higher than before even with poor stress-laden travel and poorer diet.

LuMonty

Just a follow up. I haven’t been taking anything to kill archaea for a few weeks due to travel. And I’ve been eating poorly. Motility is still not bad, better than before I started the archaea-killing experiment. I believe many gut issues could be solved with a course of “Ozonated magnesium” and/or cordyceps extract.

I use the Bristol scale now every time I poop and my motility has increased and it has stayed a bit higher than before even with poor stress-laden travel and poorer diet.
How much extract are you using and what kind? I last tried it around this time last year, but wasn't sure if I could connect any effects to it, or what potency would be required for effect.

OP
ecstatichamster
How much extract are you using and what kind? I last tried it around this time last year, but wasn't sure if I could connect any effects to it, or what potency would be required for effect.

Extract - cordyceps water extract, I think it’s 10:1.

It increases oxytocin, which I can detect noticeably.

MarcelZD

I've had constipation for as long as I can remember for no apparent reason. I suspect it was at the root of many of my problems: 1 BM per week all throughout my childhood and teens.

I wonder whether sluggish bowels can by inherited via the human microbiome.

OP
ecstatichamster
I've had constipation for as long as I can remember for no apparent reason. I suspect it was at the root of many of my problems: 1 BM per week all throughout my childhood and teens.

I wonder whether sluggish bowels can by inherited via the human microbiome.

Try one or both solutions. It can be a revelation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals