Gut Motility: Desired Transit Time And How To Achieve It?

OP
managing

managing

@managing

Ray suggests that the best way to keep Candida Albicans under control is to feed them sugar, else they burrow deeper into your tissues to scavenge glucose, which leads to great inflammation.

Something that I use is S. Boulardii. I recommend the Jarrow's brand, which you can find on Amazon. I think it helps my mood. (It's a yeast that fights the Candida yeast.)
I am familiar with S boulardii. Its saved me from Monteczuma's revenge a couple of times. Bacertial variant is Bacillus clausii. Basically does the same thing as S boulardii, but to bacteria: outcompetes the native bacteria and kills them off. Then (when you stop supplementing) slowly dies off and (hopefullY) beneficial bacteria grow back. Bacillus may acidify the small intestine which promotes leakiness, so that may be bad. S. boulardii ought not change the pH much. S boulardii also ought to compete with some bacteria as it impairs their ability to adhere to intestinal wall.

The thing that worries me with either of these is the Herxheimer reaction. Part of my desire to get things moving faster is to deal with this option better.

I am thinking S. boulardii in conjunction with antibiotic. But gotta raise the speed limit on the highway first . . .

DaveFoster

I am familiar with S boulardii. Its saved me from Monteczuma's revenge a couple of times. Bacertial variant is Bacillus clausii. Basically does the same thing as S boulardii, but to bacteria: outcompetes the native bacteria and kills them off. Then (when you stop supplementing) slowly dies off and (hopefullY) beneficial bacteria grow back. Bacillus may acidify the small intestine which promotes leakiness, so that may be bad. S. boulardii ought not change the pH much. S boulardii also ought to compete with some bacteria as it impairs their ability to adhere to intestinal wall.

The thing that worries me with either of these is the Herxheimer reaction. Part of my desire to get things moving faster is to deal with this option better.

I am thinking S. boulardii in conjunction with antibiotic. But gotta raise the speed limit on the highway first . . .
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of B. Clausii. For a herxheimer, some activated charcoal can be used effectively. I recommend Health Natura's; it's high quality. It should only be used intermittently (once every 2-3 days, such as at bedtime), as it blocks the absorption of nutrients indiscriminately.

OP
managing

managing

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of B. Clausii. For a herxheimer, some activated charcoal can be used effectively. I recommend Health Natura's; it's high quality. It should only be used intermittently (once every 2-3 days, such as at bedtime), as it blocks the absorption of nutrients indiscriminately.
AC is great. I do think its ok to use regularly for short periods. But it slows things down, so . . .

B. clausii is available in Mexico under the name "Sinuberase". I don't think its available in the US yet but it works even faster to stop diarrhea, but, as above, probably acidifies the GI in an undesirable way. Lactobacillus rhamnosus gg (gg signifies a specific strain) is supposed to do same (Culturelle) but I have no experience with it.

Both of these are sometimes advocated for use during antibiotic administration because both are antibiotic resistant, but not virulent. So they keep nasties from establishing in the vacuum left by antibiotics (supposedly). And then they die off slowly when you stop supplementing them. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

milk_lover

Charcoal is likely to absorb and reduce the effectiveness of most (all?) medicines (and supplements).
Thanks tara. I tried to get some penicillin yesterday but they told me you only can get it from hospital pharmacies and with prescription. I'll see if I can find a private clinic and try to convince him to give me penicillin.

OP
managing

managing

Thanks tara. I tried to get some penicillin yesterday but they told me you only can get it from hospital pharmacies and with prescription. I'll see if I can find a private clinic and try to convince him to give me penicillin.
Another prompt for RP's preferred antibiotic for endotoxin reduction? I know amoxicillin has been mentioned (which is a form of penicillin). Any thoughts?

Also, does he suggest running a "whole course" of the antibiotic or what?

WestCoaster

For me, anything that helps reduce stress (cortisol) helps with transit time. IBS has been tied to elevated cortisol which will affect the transit time in both directions (runs or constipation). Finding that sweet spot for food combo intake/amount is the key. 12-24hrs is what should be aimed for, but closer to 24 hours IMO.

milk_lover

Another prompt for RP's preferred antibiotic for endotoxin reduction? I know amoxicillin has been mentioned (which is a form of penicillin). Any thoughts?

Also, does he suggest running a "whole course" of the antibiotic or what?
I've checked the chemical formulas of both and I noticed that amoxicillin has one more oxygen double bond than penicillin (total of 3 oxygen double bonds). Many of Ray Peat's helpful tools have those oxygen double bonds like CO2, vitamin K2 MK-4, tetracycline, emodin, glycine, taurine, theanine, etc., I think haidut mentioned this fact in one of the threads. So I would assume amoxicillin has stronger effect than penicillin? I haven't tried any of them, maybe when I was a kid my mother gave me a course of penicillin but of course I don't remember its effect :)

I think he mentioned a couple of weeks to run the course of antibiotics along with supplementing vitamin K because there are some bacteria in our bodies that produce vitamin K for us. But I would ask people who have better experience than me in the antibiotics world.

dbh25

For me, anything that helps reduce stress (cortisol) helps with transit time. IBS has been tied to elevated cortisol which will affect the transit time in both directions (runs or constipation). Finding that sweet spot for food combo intake/amount is the key. 12-24hrs is what should be aimed for, but closer to 24 hours IMO.
Can coffee raise cortisol? Regular or decaf, tea or other caffeinated beverages do not affect me the same way. I find coffee makes me go immediately, but that's the only time I'll go all day. I have the same issue as the OP.

OP
managing

managing

Can coffee raise cortisol? Regular or decaf, tea or other caffeinated beverages do not affect me the same way. I find coffee makes me go immediately, but that's the only time I'll go all day. I have the same issue as the OP.
I think a safe strategy is to have coffee only with food (to avoid raising cortisol). A lot of people add sugar to their coffee and call it good. But I can't stand sweet coffee (unless its a mocha or something ridiculously strong like Cuban or Turkish). I often do half caff just because I get "addicted" to coffee easily and want to minimize headaches if I miss a "dose".

dbh25

I think a safe strategy is to have coffee only with food (to avoid raising cortisol). A lot of people add sugar to their coffee and call it good. But I can't stand sweet coffee (unless its a mocha or something ridiculously strong like Cuban or Turkish). I often do half caff just because I get "addicted" to coffee easily and want to minimize headaches if I miss a "dose".
Yes, I generally drink 1-2 cups coffee with lunch. (Never on an empty stomach) I add whole milk and a little sugar to it. Decaf coffee seems to give me all the bad effects with none of the "feel goodness" of regular coffee.

OP
managing

managing

Yes, I generally drink 1-2 cups coffee with lunch. (Never on an empty stomach) I add whole milk and a little sugar to it. Decaf coffee seems to give me all the bad effects with none of the "feel goodness" of regular coffee.
I believe the other "active ingredient" in coffee is magnesium. What bad effects do you see?

dbh25

I believe the other "active ingredient" in coffee is magnesium. What bad effects do you see?
Hi managing, I'd say coffee makes a good mood better or a bad mood worse, some kind of amplitude effect. I only seem to go once per day, immediately after the coffee, it's as if my bowels need that signal to move. I'm down to 1-2 cups per day, I haven't tried long periods of time with no coffee. I would guess I have the same 3-5 day transit time you mentioned in your post.

OP
managing

managing

Thought I would update. I think I have achieved mol the 24hr target in the last few days with a) coffee (often decaf) b) cascara powder and c) ox bile supplemented with larger meals.

This has drastically reduced, but not quite eliminated, the skin symptoms I attribute to endotoxin.

TMI WARNING: only thing coming through "recognizable" is greens (cooked Kale in this instance). So that may mean I need to cook it longer or its not digesting completely in that time. Avoiding AC because it tends to constipate me.

Last edited:

EIRE24

Thought I would update. I think I have achieved mol the 24hr target in the last few days with a) coffee (often decaf) b) cascara powder and c) ox bile supplemented with larger meals.

This has drastically reduced, but not quite eliminated, the skin symptoms I attribute to endotoxin.

TMI WARNING: only thing coming through "recognizable" is greens (cooked Kale in this instance). So that may mean I need to cook it longer or its not digesting completely in that time. Avoiding AC because it tends to constipate me.
What does the ox bile help with and also, What are the skin symptoms?

Ewelina

What kind of skin symptoms you attribute to endotoxins, if you don't mind to share.

OP
managing

managing

Skin symptoms vary. The worst is burning ears. I mean red hot burning. Less severe is bumps on the neck and head (lymph). And redness and rash on shoulders and chest. Would come up about an hour after eating and last for an hour or so. Still see a little of this last one, but its pretty mild.

Bile: generally binds endotoxins and transports them for, ahem, excretion. Ox bile is just supplemental bile. Around the same time the skin symptoms started manifesting (~May), I noticed very pale feces, which, according to the interwebz, is due to low bile. Not sure what happened to inhibit bile excretion.

I've also used Taurine, which stimulates bile. But seemed to maybe cause a round of very unpleasant diarrhea, so I've suspended that for now.

I have some colostrum and lactoferrin coming and am considering a round S. boulardii and/or antibiotic now that I have things moving and not permeating the intestines (it seems).

I know that @narouz attributes some problems to lactoferrin, but I suspect it was the IP6 he took concurrently.

XPlus

Weird that you posted this now. I've been thinking about doing a short course of an antibiotic for acne as I suspect it's gut problems that's causing it. Would an antibiotic be bad if something like leaky gut was there?
Not as far as I know

XPlus

My father thinks if he goes to the bathroom directly after a meal, that means the meal is not clean lol.

Do you think penicillin with some charcoal would be very effective for eliminating endotoxin? I am tempted to try antibiotics and see how they affect me.
Yes, I think that's a good reaction to a bad meal. So offending things can be cleared out pretty quickly.
But then I think diarrhea follows and there would be an urge to let go several times.
The healthy movements after a meal I suspect should be normal without much urge.

I haven't had experiences with penicillin since childhood but I'm coming to realise that the fight against intestinal bacteria is game of patience - more like chess. Its about using benign things like aspirin, coconut oil and saturated fats, carrots, cascara on the long term. Also, it's about picking the right foods, carefully, depending on how obvious bacterial over growth is. Less starch and junk at times when you feel bacteria is taking over your gut. In the end, it really comes down to how healthy your overall physiology is. Supporting respiration and building resilience is what keeps bacteria at bay. With very good health status, sometimes you might eat an offending food or simply get sick because of stress but you recover very quickly with help of an antibiotic. It's smooth sailing after one course and you'll not need to be dependent on it. If you still have a lot of work to be done on your health, you probably only benefit from antibiotics temporarily.
Characoal I think is best used occasionally, when you screw up real bad.
Although, Peat mentioned that he used penicillin in the past, now it seems to me that Tetracycline is his more preferable antibiotic with Doxycycline being ok.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals