Gut Motility: Desired Transit Time And How To Achieve It?

managing

The title is pretty self-explanatory. Soliciting thoughts on what the desired transit time is for good health and how to achieve it.

Thyroid and cascara are the obvious. What else?

milk_lover

Idealy between an hour and two after the big meals. That's my case. I feel better if that happens.

Low raw vegetables, low starch, low PUFA, low fermented food like yogurt, low beans, magnesium/OJ/Coffee, raw carrots, boiled bambo shoot, boiled mushroom and increasing thyroid should all help keep you regular.

OP
managing

managing

Coffee (not caffeine)
I should have included coffee, but I presumed it was the caffeine that increased gut motility. I remember when I was young, a cup of coffee and cigarette was a sure fire way to get things moving . . .

But if it isn't caffeine, what is it in coffee that increases motility? And, presumably, would be same with decaf?

OP
managing

managing

Idealy between an hour and two after the big meals. That's my case. I feel better if that happens.

Low raw vegetables, low starch, low PUFA, low fermented food like yogurt, low beans, magnesium/OJ/Coffee, raw carrots, boiled bambo shoot, boiled mushroom and increasing thyroid should all help keep you regular.
Thanks, a helpful response.

To clarify one thing: I am not asking so much about how often, but rather transit time. TMI WARNING: By that I mean, if there is something identifiable in the bowl, how long ago should it have been eaten? I am experiencing 3-5 days. That seems slow to me, but I don't have a good reference point . . .

lvysaur

I should have included coffee, but I presumed it was the caffeine that increased gut motility. I remember when I was young, a cup of coffee and cigarette was a sure fire way to get things moving . . .

But if it isn't caffeine, what is it in coffee that increases motility? And, presumably, would be same with decaf?

Not sure, but it isn't caffeine. The effect is absent from tea and caffeine supplements, and exists with decaf, as you said.

Gelatin has the amino acid glycine which is essential for gut health for starters.

Adequate potassium is important for gut motility but don't over do it or it will cause problems. here's a quote from livestrong but I got it from Taeian "the digestive system is made of smooth muscles that contract rhythmically to propel food down the gastrointestinal tract -- this propulsion is described as peristalsis. Low blood levels of potassium can disrupt peristalsis". You'll need a good balance of the other minerals to maintain potassium levels.

If your "backed up" I would try some special measures to get clear first.
> take a large dose of Magnesium Citrate before bed (like a gram). The next morning get up and do some exercise, ...near a toilet.
> Sometimes if stool becomes weak, have a large salted popcorn and some psyllium husk. should give a full solid evacuation next time you go.
> Hoist your legs up on a foot stool when you go.

OP
managing

managing

Gelatin has the amino acid glycine which is essential for gut health for starters.

Adequate potassium is important for gut motility but don't over do it or it will cause problems. here's a quote from livestrong but I got it from Taeian "the digestive system is made of smooth muscles that contract rhythmically to propel food down the gastrointestinal tract -- this propulsion is described as peristalsis. Low blood levels of potassium can disrupt peristalsis". You'll need a good balance of the other minerals to maintain potassium levels.

If your "backed up" I would try some special measures to get clear first.
> take a large dose of Magnesium Citrate before bed (like a gram). The next morning get up and do some exercise, ...near a toilet.
> Sometimes if stool becomes weak, have a large salted popcorn and some psyllium husk. should give a full solid evacuation next time you go.
> Hoist your legs up on a foot stool when you go.
LOL, those are some good ones!

Again, clarification, not experiencing constipation. Most of the time things seem fine, within a range. But 3-5 days seems slow. I think I read 18-24 hrs somewhere, but just not sure.

My thyroid appears to be just fine. TSH is usually under 1 (and yes, I realize that isn't the best indicator). I do find that I have some endotoxin skin symptoms, which is what is driving the transit time question.

OP
managing

managing

Adequate potassium is important for gut motility
Any ideas on what the involvement of gelatin in gut health is? I havent been having it lately, except in long-cooked meat dishes.

As for potassium, any thoughts on safe sources? I know supplements are controversial.

3-5 days is very slow.

I once saw a documentary about nutrition (I think it was the BBC one to find the worlds healthiest diet but I'm not sure though), and in one part they visit some African village and challenge one of the villagers to a digestion "race" wherein the presenter and villager both eat a load of sweetcorn to see how long it takes to pass. The villager passed everything within hours but the presenter lost by a day or 2.

I know "they" say everybody's different, but if you'll humor me for a moment while I assume the role of arrogant internet bro-scientist, I feel compelled to say with certainty that 3-5 days is way too ******' slow!

I first read about glycine and potassium being good for gut health from an internet health coach with alternative views. His name is Taeian. Here is some stuff I just nabbed off his facebook:
"How does gelatin help digestion? Well it's proven to heal the stomach and intestinal lining for one. It is also a proven hydrocolloid, as it attracts liquids. What does this do for us? Well it attracts your gastric acid secretions in its mass to help fully digest your food. Allowing more protein to be utilized by the body, which is great for health and muscle building. It is also good for reducing food intolerance's and greatly improving the amount of time it takes to digest food, so it will not feel like a heavy lump of food is still sitting in your stomach"

Well cooked potatoes are a source of potassium.

I know that Peat advocates gelatin, but I would have to do some reading to find out if he ever said it was specifically beneficial for gut health.

milk_lover

To clarify one thing: I am not asking so much about how often, but rather transit time. TMI WARNING: By that I mean, if there is something identifiable in the bowl, how long ago should it have been eaten? I am experiencing 3-5 days. That seems slow to me, but I don't have a good reference point . . .
I cannot identify the food types from my stool. Usually I go three to four times a day. As Benjamin stated 3-4 days is a long time I think.

OP
managing

managing

I cannot identify the food types from my stool. Usually I go three to four times a day. As Benjamin stated 3-4 days is a long time I think.
If you've ever taken activated charcoal, you'll be able to. Otherwise, maybe corn, but I've never liked it, and RP would advise against (if not nixtamilized).

I thought it was slow too. Keep the ideas coming. I'd like to speed it up because, among other things, endotoxin.

milk_lover

If you've ever taken activated charcoal, you'll be able to. Otherwise, maybe corn, but I've never liked it, and RP would advise against (if not nixtamilized).

I thought it was slow too. Keep the ideas coming. I'd like to speed it up because, among other things, endotoxin.
lol I take charcoal. I don't look at my stool usually :) but charcoal is amazing at shrinking my stomach and wiping those damn endotoxin. I actually get very warmed up after a charcoal session. It increases my metabolism for sure.

EIRE24

Eating enough calories will also allow for good BM's and quick elimination. With insufficient calories the body will hold onto food longer to extract whatever nutrition it can from the scarce food supply

I forgot glutamine. Proven effective for leaky gut.

I once got a few sessions of colonic irrigation. I did feel thoroughly emptied and light as a feather. However It's not a real solution and it's uncomfortable, embarrassing and expensive. but if your clogged maybe you could give yourself one. or a coffee enema, double espresso like you've never had before.

OP
managing

managing

lol I take charcoal. I don't look at my stool usually :) but charcoal is amazing at shrinking my stomach and wiping those damn endotoxin. I actually get very warmed up after a charcoal session. It increases my metabolism for sure.
This is very interesting to me. I actually get hot when I have the endo reaction and the AC cools me down! But it also noticeably slows motility for me.

milk_lover

This is very interesting to me. I actually get hot when I have the endo reaction and the AC cools me down! But it also noticeably slows motility for me.
So when you get endotoxin symptoms, you get hot? For me, when there is trouble in my stomach, I usually become colder.

Peater Piper

Far too long. 12-24 hours is probably a good starting point. You can test your transit time with beets, but generally you shouldn't be able to identify food in your stool. Your transit time could be slow because you're not digesting your food well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals