Gut Issues From Calcium Carbonate

kiran

I just realized that i've been drinking way too little milk and decided to add in a some calcium carbonate, 4-5 grams or so. I think its doing good things for me, but my gut can't seem to tolerate it very well. Anyone have any good ideas on how to ingest a lot of calcium?

Dairy... i know, but it's hard drinking that much liquid.

kettlebell

Which Calcium carbonate product are you using?

More Cheese I suppose.

Another option is steeping nettle or kale etc in hot water (gently Simmering), removing the leaves and using the remaining water for soups, broths, adding to shakes or just drinking it (Not sure what that would taste like haha).

The Pufa remains in the leaf for the most part but the large amounts of Calcium seep from the leaves into the water. If you use kale you get loads of K as an added bonus.

OP
kiran

kiran

I tried to use eggshell calcium, but I don't eat nearly enough of em to get 5g/day.
So I switched to NOW Ca carbonate. I try to eat it with meals, but apparently that isn't enough.

Actually, kale broth tastes very grassy. It's fine. However, I don't think I can use enough to get 5g of Ca per day.
(10oz of kale has about 400mg of Ca, nowhere near enough)

kettlebell

Maybe pop into a home brew shop and buy some calcium carbonate from there. I imagine it is quite pure in form as it is added to wine to make it less acidic and any contaminant could easily damage the taste of the wine and ruin it.

It is precipitated chalk. I have heard of others using it so it might be worth a try.

How is your gut? Do you use a lot of gelatin to help heal any potential inflammation? Im just throuwing out things that occur to me.

OP
kiran

kiran

I'm pretty sure that the stuff im using is pure, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

nwo2012

We use a lot of eggs so easy for us to get enough egg shells but you can buy egg shell calcium cheaply enough.
Dissolving this into lemon juice makes it very digestible as long as you prepare in advance. This way most of the calcium dissolves and bye bye bowel issue (I was getting loose bowels when I didnt dissolve it first).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Aha! Lemon juice! I cannot for the life of me get my eggshells ground up fine enough. Going to try some lemon juice now. Thanks nwo!

kettlebell

nwo2012 said:
We use a lot of eggs so easy for us to get enough egg shells but you can buy egg shell calcium cheaply enough.
Dissolving this into lemon juice makes it very digestible as long as you prepare in advance. This way most of the calcium dissolves and bye bye bowel issue (I was getting loose bowels when I didnt dissolve it first).

Thanks nwo2012,

Like Charlie, when I ground up some eggshell large bits still remain and I couldn't eat it so I will try this too.

OP
kiran

kiran

I'm trying to dissolve it in OJ instead. I think my gut is a little better...

Ray-Z

kiran said:
I'm trying to dissolve it in OJ instead. I think my gut is a little better...

That's what I do, Kiran. Calcium carbonate powder in OJ is tasty and easy.

OP
kiran

kiran

Apparently calcium citrate (orange/lemon juice has citric acid) is not a lot friendlier than calcium carbonate. Mag citrate is a laxative, so I bet Cal Citrate would be one too. I'm going to have to try Calcium chloride next.

Either that or just take carbonate away from meals.

jaketthomas

Calcium Carbonate needs an acid medium for it to be able to digested properly. Our stomach acid isn't even enough to break it down. Mix it in with OJ. The citric acid in OJ will do the trick in helping it be absorbed properly.

Dr. Joel Wallach also includes Beef Gelatin in with the Calcium Carbonate and Orange Juice. He calls it his "Pig Arthritis Pak". Says that trio will regenerate bone and cartilage better than anything else he's ever found.

OP
kiran

kiran

Jake, that doesn't work for everyone.

Calcium carbonate + OJ will make calcium citrate which is a laxative. I'm much happier taking eggshell calcium with food.
Note that eggshell calcium is coarser than plain calcium carbonate which causes it's own issues.

Amazoniac

I had better results using a high quality industralized calcium carbonate derived from limestone, not only because the industry can get to a powder fineness that I doubt that's possible with usual kitchen appliances; but also because, contrary to egg shell or oyster shell, it lacks that though protein matrix that can complicate digestion.

johnwester130

Calcium Carbonate needs an acid medium for it to be able to digested properly. Our stomach acid isn't even enough to break it down. Mix it in with OJ. The citric acid in OJ will do the trick in helping it be absorbed properly.

Dr. Joel Wallach also includes Beef Gelatin in with the Calcium Carbonate and Orange Juice. He calls it his "Pig Arthritis Pak". Says that trio will regenerate bone and cartilage better than anything else he's ever found.

orange juice
gelatin
calcium carbonate

i need to try this

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I have tried lemon juice and eggshell powder but the aftertaste was not great. So I am using Now brand calcium carbonate. I am not sure of the ratio of juice to powder. Will all fizzing stop eventually? It does seem to absorb better because my urine is not always cloudy now.