Gut Inflammation As The Driver Of Visceral Fat And Fatty Liver

tankasnowgod

Earlier this year, I started to think that the primary driver of Visceral Fat was probably from either an inflamed gut, a fatty liver, or both. So, I was pretty excited to come across this article from the Journal of Obesity that seems to posit the same thing. This article went a bit further, in suggesting that an inflamed gut likely causes fatty liver!

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1038/oby.2011.68

"Given the role of the gut in mesenteric fat inflammation and deposition and energy homeostasis, it is tempting to postulate that the gut is an important driving force for the pathophysiology of visceral obesity and its related metabolic disorders, in particular fatty liver diseases—thanks to the portal system. Similar gut‐liver interactions have been implicated as an important underlying mechanism by which alcoholic liver disease occurs (94). As summarized in Figure 1, it may all start with gut inflammation. As a consequence of alterations of gut microbiota composition and/or other external factors, gut barrier function is impaired and results in a “leaky gut.” The infiltration of microbial products into the mesenteric fat triggers an innate immune response and subsequently induces the production of proinflammatory cytokines from ATMs. The fat depot also expands as a protective mechanism to prevent the microbial antigens from further infiltrating the peritoneal cavity. Together these results in an increase flux of free‐fatty acids and proinflammatory factors, originating from both gut microbiota and the visceral fat depot, to the liver via the portal circulation.

When the availability of free‐fatty acids exceeds the capacity of both fat oxidation and triglyceride export as very‐low‐density lipoprotein, an excess of lipid accumulates in the liver. Subsequently, the increase in lipid derivatives (e.g., ceramide and diacylglycerol), together with proinflammatory factors from the portal circulation (95), activate inflammatory pathways in the liver. These events lead to common obesity‐associated liver diseases including nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and hepatic insulin resistance. The diseased liver, of course, leads to further metabolic abnormalities. Hepatic insulin resistance impairs the suppression of glucose production in the liver. Together with increased lipogenesis, the liver contributes to the elevated circulating levels of glucose and fatty acids that induce insulin secretion, elicit peripheral insulin resistance and eventually lead to a vicious cycle of metabolic dysfunction (96).

By the way, in case you are wondering what the Mesentary is-
The Mesentery - An Organ Of Interest

Personally, I think the two biggest drivers in this gut inflammation are the iron shavings added to wheat and rice, (thanks to so called "iron fortification" programs) and PUFAs, largely from vegetable oils. Adding in alcohol, especially beer, compounds this issue. Once the gut is compromised, other things that might be mostly benign or a small burden become a huge issue (all other starches, added gums, and high tryptophan foods like milk).

This leads me to believe my new focus on improving the gut barrier, reducing inflammation, and helping the liver is likely the way to go. It also makes me think that after certain offending items have been removed and enough time has been given to heal, that weight could come off very very quickly, even without a caloric deficit.

After all..... what if "visceral fat" isn't really "fat" at all? What if it's just water and inflammation?

oby_2113_f1.gif

theLaw

This leads me to believe my new focus on improving the gut barrier, reducing inflammation, and helping the liver is likely the way to go. It also makes me think that after certain offending items have been removed and enough time has been given to heal, that weight could come off very very quickly, even without a caloric deficit.

After all..... what if "visceral fat" isn't really "fat" at all? What if it's just water and inflammation?

This is an excellent post, and Nathan (F*ck Portion Control) makes a similar point about added iron.

I think that gelatin in the forum of homemade-jello using fruit juice would be the most effective way to heal the gut. Adding a BCAA supplement like Impower would be even better.

Cooked potato juice isn't very appetizing imo.

Also important to note that this issue is remedied (partially) from people fasting between meals, although it creates other issues with raising stress hormones.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

This is an excellent post, and Nathan (F*ck Portion Control) makes a similar point about added iron.

I think that gelatin in the forum of homemade-jello using fruit juice would be the most effective way to heal the gut. Adding a BCAA supplement like Impower would be even better.

Cooked potato juice isn't very appetizing imo.

Also important to note that this issue is remedied (partially) from people fasting between meals, although it creates other issues with raising stress hormones.

Really good points. If you look at a starch free Peat inspired diet and the GAPS diet, there is a lot of overlap with the foods, almost on the order of 98%. The biggest thing the GAPS diet stresses is to drink a glass of bone broth with every meal. Homemade jello or the Impower supplement seems like it would help accomplish the same thing. If you look at Linus Pauling's work on heart disease, and the Rath/Pauling protocol, a lot of focus is on repairing collagen, so vitamin C, proline, and additional lysine might be warranted too.

The point on fasting if good too, as this hypothesis would explain the success of various diet approaches, to the degree they take burden off the liver and gut (paleo/low carb/vegan/raw meat carnivore/keto/fruitrian/gluten free and so on), while longer term complications could be the failure to deliver enough of the right materials to repair the gut, support the liver, and keep metabolism high. Some of those approached even seem like direct opposites, but could have some of the same effects, at least in the short term.

Spondive

This is why Peat recommended the raw carrot salad for my fatty liver which I never really implemented because I don’t like it really, however again vitamin E succinate 800 iu a day reduced my liver enzymes to normal in one month and a great reduction in fat in the liver by ultrasound

Broken man

Celiac disease contribute to liver disease like other diseases where gut barrier is impaired. But I dont think that its the pufas that are the main factor for broken gut barrier.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Celiac disease contribute to liver disease like other diseases where gut barrier is impaired. But I dont think that its the pufas that are the main factor for broken gut barrier.

I agree. I think PUFAs really help drive the inflammation, but I think that it's the added iron, in the form of raw metal iron shavings, that is the main factor compromising the gut barrier. It's basically eating thousands of tiny razor blades every time you eat a iron fortified product.

Broken man

I agree. I think PUFAs really help drive the inflammation, but I think that it's the added iron, in the form of raw metal iron shavings, that is the main factor compromising the gut barrier. It's basically eating thousands of tiny razor blades every time you eat a iron fortified product.
If I understand it right, PUFAs are problem because it changes type of inflammation and made regenerative process inefficient leading to fibrosis... but there must be something that will start this cycle of inflammation and if Peat was right about PUFAs with all what he said, my friends should be dead but arent. But I know tha thyroid play a big role.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

This is why Peat recommended the raw carrot salad for my fatty liver which I never really implemented because I don’t like it really, however again vitamin E succinate 800 iu a day reduced my liver enzymes to normal in one month and a great reduction in fat in the liver by ultrasound

I've seen this, and I have been using Vitamin E Succinate and a Succinic Acid supplement this month. E Succinate might be the best Vitamin E bang for the buck. It's amazing to look at the shear number of studies proclaiming E Succinate's anti-cancer effect.

Runenight201

If you look at most men in the modern world, the majority have swollen, inflamed guts.

I’ve been on and off starch countless times, but slowest decreasing it’s consumption over the past couple weeks, finding that the energy states from fruit and meat are much better.

Today has probably been my lowest starch day while still maintaining good moods. (For the most part) I think many starches just aren’t good foods to take up a large part of the diet. In the Middle Ages causes of poor health were rampant such as tooth decay and short stature, so I want to believe that the issue is with the plant itself rather than any added iron (although I’m certain that doesn’t help anything).

The more I pay attention to my gut, the more I find that keeping it happy is the key to good health. Many starches are simply too difficult to digest, and quickly cause bloat and subpar energy levels, even if prepared properly. I’ve even run into this problem with tubers, and I obtain better energy states from wheat than tubers. Perhaps in cases of very good digestion they can be handled, but I think in those who can properly handle them, they’ll have better energy states with fruit compared to starches. I think there may be a place for limited amounts of starch in the diet, but it’s much smaller than many people currently consume.

This leaves meat, eggs, dairy, and fruit as viable options. I’ve noticed all types of milk rarely sit in the stomach well and give me negative energy states, but I leave room for a little bit in my coffee, etc... today I had a terrible anxious reaction to bananas and milk, and it not coincidentally coincided with an awful bloated feeling in my stomach.

Meat digests very well, but there’s a threshold to how much meat is tolerable before negative symptoms occur, such as naseau from too much fat, or indigestion and bloat from too much protein.

Fruit is a grand solution, and I believe a large amount of weight and inflammation can be reduced through increasing its consumption relative to starch, but one has to tread carefully here. I’ve noticed that many fruits simply have too high of a water/sugar content relative to nutrition, especially the juices, and quickly lead me to spacey, overexcited energy states, with frequent urination and cold hands being commonly incurred.

I had success with fruit tonight though through a queer combination of a berry smoothie they sold at Walmart from botanical farms. I can’t explain it any better than the best ratio of fiber to water to sugar to nutrient fruit combo that I’ve come across so far. It sat in my stomach so happily after I had consumed about a pound of meat, and my energy state quickly went from complacent to energized and happy. I had no cold hands or overurination, although I did have the slightest of spacey feelings, so it may not be the perfect ratio. In any case it has been the best fruit I’ve consumed in my life. My goal is now to try and create my own berry smoothie, and after looking at the ingredients, it looked like a blend of bananas, berries, pears, and apple juice.

Bananas are good, but they’re a little too dense on the digestion, but mixed with the apple juice, I think it becomes a more appropriate ratio for optimal consumption. Berries are good, but a little too fibry, but mixed with the apple juice, I think it evens out. Apple juice on its own is far too high in sugar and devoid of nutrition, but mixed with the berries and bananas it evens out. So I think with fruit, the best approach is to make a smoothie of different ingredients that combine together to negate the negative effects of high water/sugar content of certain fruits with the starchy/fibry content of other fruits. Straining some fiber out of the resultant mixture may be necessary as well, to achieve perfect digestion, and platting with different ratios of fruits to fruit juice as well.

Ideally I can create the perfect smoothie from scratch, cuz I’d like to avoid paying 2 bucks for a 150 kcal concoction of pure dopamine =P

So that’s where I’ll be headed from here, high meat, little bit of eggs, high fruit smoothies, and probably a small amount of starch/veggies when I can’t quite match my physiological state with the other options!

Last edited:

Otterbutt

I wonder this a lot. When I began recovering from Paleo, I started with Peat but a lot too much too fast without trying to troubleshoot. I began gaining weight and the skin was tender and taught around my middle. Perhaps this was recovery edema. But as I continued to gain weight with a "f*it" mentality (RRARF) I was not soft, squishy, curvy with rolls of fat. Everything was hard, swollen, and painful, like a marshmallow or inflated balloon. People couldn't poke me without it feeling like a bruise. I thought the tenderness was fibromyalgia or something, it literally felt like my skin would burst, up to FOUR years later, so no, that wasn't some immediate dieting recovery. Something was generally wrong and the weight did not redistribute to appropriate deposits.
Some part of going keto reduced the inflammation (essentially went whole foods, so there went a bunch of crap grains and really bad PUFA) and I lost weight so SO fast, it couldn't have been fat. I wanted to blame the carbs, I really did. I still do, because I want an answer. But I feel so much better emotionally and physically on Peat. I'm trying to find that right balance. I put on 20 lbs slowly and not immediately. It feels normal and squishy, not tight. I don't mind the gain if it means my sanity has returned and it stops. I'm just nervous something will get inflamed again and it will turn into that hard "fat" and I won't know what it is.

rei

This is not surprising seeing how fasting is like a smart missile targeting the visceral fat. Nothing improves your gut health like giving it a break from the CONSTANT hard work modern people punish it with. Endotoxin minimization methods are probably the next best thing.

Since fasting also seems very effective in curing metabolic syndrome/T2D i suspect a thorough endotoxin minimization diet could also do it. At least the study abstract seems to agree with this view.

Last edited:
This is not surprising seeing how fasting is like a smart missile targeting the visceral fat. Nothing improves your gut health like giving it a break from the CONSTANT hard work modern people punish it with. Endotoxin minimization methods are probably the next best thing.

Since fasting also seems very effective in curing metabolic syndrome/T2D i suspect a thorough endotoxin minimization diet could also do it. At least the study abstract seems to agree with this view.

It is? It does?

rei

Together these results in an increase flux of free‐fatty acids and proinflammatory factors, originating from both gut microbiota and the visceral fat depot, to the liver via the portal circulation.

If you have healthy gut with little endotoxin then the effect is smaller. If this is the root behind diabetes it seems like also endotoxin minimization diet could reverse it. Fasting is very powerful in treating gut issues because it allows the good strains of bacteria that thrive on gut secretions to take over.

Fasting is very bad if you are diabetic because it releases free fatty acid’s and if you have a lot of pufas stored in your body that is what kills the beta cells as well as the leydig cells and causes havoc in the entire body.

rei

This is the old theory that we all have heard some time. But it does not seem to describe reality, there are actually fasting clinics that cure even severe diabetics with like 95% success rate. And scientific publications exist demonstrating improved markers or remission.

Everyone seems to agree hyperinsulinemia and elevated glucose are diagnostic criteria of diabetes, and that fasting lowers insulin and glucose, so this should not be even controversial.

This is the old theory that we all have heard some time. But it does not seem to describe reality, there are actually fasting clinics that cure even severe diabetics with like 95% success rate. And scientific publications exist demonstrating improved markers or remission.

Everyone seems to agree hyperinsulinemia and elevated glucose are diagnostic criteria of diabetes, and that fasting lowers insulin and glucose, so this should not be even controversial.

Where are such studies. I think this is dead wrong.

Fractality

A short fast or medically supervised longer one is okay; though I do not think a true fast is required for healing gut inflammation.

The best way to get rid of diabetes is high sugar low fat diet. This minimizes endotoxins and free fatty acids. There are many people who have cured their diabetes type 2 with this.

Prolonged Fasting Induces Peripheral Insulin Resistance, Which Is Not Ameliorated by High-Dose Salicylate
Fasting increases insulin resistance. It is not reversible with aspirin even.

There are tons of such studies. Free fatty acids probably cause type 2 in the first place due to pufas in the blood. High sugar low fat diets are the best thing.