Gummy Smileys!

4peatssake

Recipe from Sean and Lindsey Bissell over at Ray Peat Fans on Facebook
Ya gotta love the Gummy Smiley!

602962_10100652873064213_2088176898_n.jpg

Finally figured out a protein gummy recipe that actually tastes good Lindsey tweaked a few recipes to make her own. 2 1/2 cups of blended strawberries. 1/2 cup gelatin. 1/2 cup lemon juice. 8 tablespoons of sugar. Heat up the strawberries and lemon juice, then add in the sugar and gelatin. Make sure to stir constantly to prevent clumps, and then pour them into whatever you want (silicone molds work really well) then cool in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes, or until solid. Eat

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

readforjoy said:
Did you use freshly squeezed lemon juice or bottled? Thanks
I use freshly squeezed!

HDD

Jello has Monsters University molds on the shelf at Wally World. Glad this post came up so I can try it with some frozen fruit I have. Thanks for recipe 4ps!

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
Jello has Monsters University molds on the shelf at Wally World. Glad this post came up so I can try it with some frozen fruit I have. Thanks for recipe 4ps!
Monster Gummys!! :woo
Got to make me some gummys very soon.
I just discovered Greek yoghurt and have been loving it with rasberries and yes, some white sugar. (don't tell anybody!) :lol:

readforjoy

Just made these and they are very yummy. Thanks for the recipe. What a way to start my journey into the world of Ray Peating!

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

readforjoy said:
Just made these and they are very yummy. Thanks for the recipe. What a way to start my journey into the world of Ray Peating!
Cool beans! Thank you for letting us know.
And :welcome2 to the forum readforjoy!

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

gummybear said:
http://i.imgur.com/CPLXDuM.gif
:rolling gummybear. did this cat just eat some sour monster gummys?

montmorency

Dumb question, sorry (but I have never used gelatin in a recipe before...I've only ever dissolved it in water, then added juice, etc, and drunk it):

When the reciple calls for "gelatin", do they mean in its powder form, or is this assuming you've already dissolved it in some water?

i guess they must mean the powder form, but in that case, I'd guess it would be really hard to stop it from clumping.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
^Powder form.

montmorency

Charlie said:
^Powder form.

Thanks Charlie.

By the way, is the lemon juice an essential part of it?

Is this for taste (e.g. to make it tangy), or perhaps it needs to have an acid PH to help set or something?

Or is it optional?

Thanks.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I make mine with OJ and sugar.

montmorency

Charlie said:
I make mine with OJ and sugar.

Thanks again Charlie.

Well I made a batch today (no mo(u)lds, hence more like gummi squares after cutting) using pomegranate juice, plus gelatin and caster sugar in equal quantities. (Didn't have any OJ or lemons in the house).

I mixed the sugar and gelatin thoroughly, while dry, then added to the heated juice, stirring in gently. It seemed to mix ok without obvious clumping. Then poured into a glass vessel, left to cool somewhat, then cooled in the fridge.

It tasted quite good, but I think I used too much liquid, and it was also a bit too sweet. I wonder if lemon juice might be a good idea after all, to lessen the sweetness.

(I imagine pomegranate juice isn't Peat-friendly, but my wife likes it, and it does taste quite good).

I also made a batch of ice-cream today (first time ever). Currently freezing.

Does anyone put gelatin in their ice-cream? I didn't, but wondered about it for a future trial.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I really need to try to make my own ice cream. About to try and make my own butter.

montmorency

Have now made gummy mixture with OJ and some lemon juice, and I think it does add a nice tang.

I reduced the liquid a bit to try to make it more chewy, which worked, but it doesn't have the same sort of chewiness as commercial gelatin-based sweets, and obviously they put in a load of stuff that we here might not want to, so it's never going to be quite the same.

Still, this is a great way to get the gelatin down.

Curiously, there doesn't seem to be a tradition of gummy bears in the UK. The nearest we have I suppose is jelly babies. I'd have thought some German or American entrepreneur would have introduced them here before now, since people here have a very sweet tooth.

One of my favourite confectioneries from childhood was wine gums, and buying them now is an occasional guilty pleasure. The ones I buy aren't totally loaded with cr@p, but they are less than I ideal, I would think, so it would be nice to be able to make my own. What they are is a kind of lozenge, in all different colours, and with the names of various wines moulded into them. Great fun really. Of course there is no wine in them, and they taste like no wine I've ever tasted, but they do taste great, and have a nice chewiness that I prefer to jelly babies.

The ice-cream came out ok. The texture was less than ideal, but the taste was great. I actually used a recipe based on this one, as it was so simple:

vanilla ice cream

except that I used some milk as well, and used vanilla essence, not pods.

As I don't have an ice-cream-maker, I took it out every hour for the first 2-3 hours and beat it, to disperse the ice-crystals, as mentioned in some recipes. Not sure if it helps that much.

I might try the idea of beating the egg whites back into the mixture, as mentioned in a recipe above. I hate the idea of food going to waste, and I can't think of anything to do with whites except make meringues, and I'd be hopeless at that I'm sure.

In the past I've only been lukewarm about ice-cream (pardon the pun), but as we've actually had a summer in England this year (in contrast to the last few years), there is more incentive!

It might sound silly, but another incentive to make home-made ice-cream (or home-made any kind of confection really) is that in the UK, you pay 20% VAT on confectionery, but not on the raw ingredients. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount of tax, but 20% is obscene I think. You also have to pay this on fruit juices, but not on fruit, so another reason to squeeze your own OJ (or just eat oranges).