Guilt Free Smoking Room

Waynish

Cigars are great. I can't even take one toke on a nicotine "vape" without reflexively coughing... I've met several people who have the same problem. Makes one wonder about their health effects.

anniejohnson

Does the metal heating element contact the vaporized liquid? I've read that this could be a source of contamination in the e-cigarettes.

Tobacco is radioactive. Smoking cigarettes is like getting many, many chest x-rays. Radioactivity of Tobacco Leaves and Radiation Dose Induced from Smoking

Yes, it is still an issue with organic tobacco. The plant concentrates certain radioactive isotopes from the nucleur industry.
According to that study, it depends on the soil and also on the fertilizers used. And they only analyzed the tobbaco from Greece. They mentioned in the study that there shouldn't be much radioactivity in the air currently, so the environment near the tobbaco plant seems to be the most important factor. Buying tobbaco from regions near the places where there were nuclear disasters is probably a bad idea, but maybe from places like Latin America, there is less problems.

anniejohnson

There are many other studies that discuss its radioactivity. The linked study is wrong. I looked into it before but don't have time now to go into the other studies.

Inspired

There are a lot of pesticides etc used during tobacco farming. And tobacco curing is the key to the amount of dangerous substances.

In Latin American or other countries, there is no regulation and the farmers typically over use pesticides etc.

The best tobacco the world is grown in America. That's then exported to other places, in Europe. The foreign tobacco is used for the American cigarettes.

There are a lot of pesticides etc used during tobacco farming. And tobacco curing is the key to the amount of dangerous substances.

In Latin American or other countries, there is no regulation and the farmers typically over use pesticides etc.

The best tobacco the world is grown in America. That's then exported to other places, in Europe. The foreign tobacco is used for the American cigarettes.
Growing your own tobbaco would solve the pesticide issue, but its preservation would still require attention then.

I heard that very good quality, brazilian coffee is sent to other countries, while the population is left with average coffee. So the situation is similar to tobbaco grown in America.

OP
Z

zewe

A pre-print on smoking and hospitalization for COVID-19 brings up this same issue of whether the ACE2 molecule gateway is harmful or beneficial. We all know how smoking is terrible for people and is related to many illnesses, right? Well, the puzzling thing is that smokers and ex-smokers seem to fare better than non-smokerswhen it comes to COVID-19 complications. The following paper "raises the hypothesis that nicotine may have beneficial effects on COVID-19":Smoking, vaping and hospitalization for COVID-19

Konstantinos Farsalinos1, Anastasia Barbouni1, Raymond Niaura2
  1. University of West Attica, Athens, Greece
  2. New York University, United States
Abstract

The study purpose was to examine the prevalence of current e-cigarette use and current smoking among hospitalized patients with COVID-19 in China, considering the high population smoking prevalence in the country (26.6%, 50.5% in males and 2.1% in females). A systematic research of the literature (PubMed) was performed on April 1. Out of 432 studies, we identified 13 studies examining the clinical characteristics of a total of 5960 hospitalized COVID-19 patients that presented data on the smoking status. No study reported e-cigarette use among COVID-19 patients. The prevalence of current smoking ranged from 1.4% to 12.6%. The random effect pooled prevalence of current smoking was 6.5% (95%CI: 4.9-8.2%). This preliminary analysis does not support the argument that current smoking is a risk factor for hospitalization for COVID-19. Instead, these consistent observations, which are further emphasized by the low prevalence of current smoking among COVID-19 patients in the US (1.3%), raises the hypothesis that nicotine may have beneficial effects on COVID-19. This could be attributed to its immunomodulatory effects and its interaction with the renin-angiotensin system. However, other confounding factors need to be considered and the accuracy of the recorded smoking status needs to be determined. However, the results were remarkably consistent across all studies and were recently verified in the first case series of COVID-19 cases in the US. In conclusion, the generalized advice to quit smoking as a measure to improve health risk remains valid, but no recommendation can currently be made concerning the effects of smoking on the risk of hospitalization for COVID-19. No studies recording e-cigarette use status among hospitalized COVID-19 patients were identified. Thus, no recommendation can be made for e-cigarette users. The above-mentioned observations, together with the potential mechanisms through which nicotine interacts with the inflammatory process and the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone axis involved in the development of COVID-19, warrant an urgent investigation of the clinical effects of pharmaceutical nicotine on COVID-19 susceptibility, progression and severity.To explain why smokers seemed to fare better, the authors speculate that nicotine might have beneficial immunomodulatory effects. However, they further state that interactions between nicotine and the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone axis remain unclear.

READ IT ALL:
COVID-19, ACE2, Nicotinic Receptors And The Cholinergic Anti-Inflammatory And Cognitive-Improving Pathway -- Sott.net

Peater

I do enjoy a Cuban cigar. I normally smoke roll-ups but not additive free. I normally quit for ages and then start again

AncestralJoy

Got myself a rosewood pipe and been smoking american organic Virginia gold. One or two a day.
My Oupa smoked and I know ppl say it stinks but I always liked the smell of it. Never thought I'd give it a try but here we are. Tried my first cigar in Europe on holiday and loved it but never really got in to give it a bit of a go until the last two weeks. Cool thread with interesting info!

Peater

How is everyone doing? I am just getting over COVID, I used it as an opportunity to cut out cigarettes again as I couldn't face them for a few days.

I still think cigars (Which aren't inhaled) are far superior.

AncestralJoy

How is everyone doing? I am just getting over COVID, I used it as an opportunity to cut out cigarettes again as I couldn't face them for a few days.

I still think cigars (Which aren't inhaled) are far superior.
Also just recovering from "something" (didn't the test) have enjoyed a water pipe or cigarettes (home rolled organic tobacco filter-less) which seem to have helped "dry out" the lingering phlegm and cough in the lungs. I havent felt like indulging much but have found tobacco fairly helpful at times

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom