Guidelines For Leaky Gut, High Lactate, Damaged Intestine, Celiac Disease

OP
Broken man

Broken man

@Zpol About niacinamide-
I think it is probably both but its anti-bacterial effects can be especially helpful for people with SIBO, which is most hypothyroid people. The anti-serotonin effect would be more for IBS and similar issues. But improving digestion is usually due to improving CO2 levels (which niacinamide does by lowering lactate) and thus gastric acid production, and by eliminating SIBO. I have tried very high doses for a few days and they also work wonders for "flu" or sinusitis.

OP
Broken man

Broken man

what max dose for niacinamide and does quality of supplement matter?
I think that its individual so you must experiment. I am using NOW brand but you can try others. Search for Haidut´s post and you will find what brand he was/is using.

Stryker

Thanks! This a great collection of helpful tips!

@Stryker
"..not a day goes by were I'm not trying to be the improved version of myself so that others might take my advice seriously and enjoy the quality of life that I do"
I follow this idea too. I strive to be an example of how to overcome disease and have an amazing life despite it in hopes that others will see how far I've come and do the same for themselves. Not an easy task were I live but people do catch on.

Ye @Stryker is cool guy and good example for living.

Thanks that means alot .. it's gotten to a point were I have a reputation as a go to person for advice in the real world for friend and family and work colleagues and it's one of the best feelings I've experienced , after nearly 12-13 years of researching and self experimentation with daily debating with others people actually cease talking and take a moment to hear what I have to say

No arrogance it's just good be heard finally especially when your views on health and lifestyle go so far against the grain of what is "normal"

goodandevil

@Broken man: I had leaky gut. I don't seem to anymore. Also had IBS-D, which is definitely gone. All gut symptoms much, much improved. What follows is a rundown of what helped me the most.

Try gelatin broth (like from oxtail and knuckle bones) as a staple of your diet for a while. The proteins in gelatin are essential for building healthy gut tissue. I consider this my #1 essential for maintaining a healthy gut.

I find too much powdered gelatin, even if it's boiled and well-cooked, to be problematic. Seems to cause an inflammatory response in a fairly short amount of time. This may be because it tends to be made from stuff like hooves and horns and not just knuckle or joint bones. There might be bacteria in gelatin that's resistant to cooking. Also, powdered gelatin is hard to work with and tastes the way barnyard **** smells, even when highly flavored.

Gelatin broth made from oxtail and knuckle bones, on the other had, is deeply savory and yummy.

IMO hydrolyzed collagen is next to useless. Don't bother with it. It's supposed to be good but I never noticed any difference when using it. Powdered gelatin has better therapeutic benefit to my skin and hair than hydrolyzed collagen, even though gelatin does give me an inflammatory response in my gut when HC does not.

Your diet is very "acidifying". All that sugar, fat, and protein does not replace minerals your body needs to keep systems running smoothly. Sugar is just empty calories with no nutritional value besides carbs, and chocolate and coffee are acidic and don't seem to replace minerals in sufficient quantity to keep up with with what metabolizing them uses. Protein doesn't have much mineral value except liver, and too much of that carries its own problems. At any rate, if you eat a lot of sugar it's really hard to keep up proper mineral stores over time. You might do okay for a while, especially if you're young, but over time it will get harder and harder.

Also, if your liver can't produce enough bile to emulsify the fat you eat properly, fat seems to just cause an acidic mess in the stomach (or at least, it has done this to me).

I can't elucidate why, exactly, but paying attention to alkalizing my diet (drinking mineral water, eating fruit and starch not sugar, no coffee, limiting chocolate, limiting fat, etc.) has been extremely helpful in helping me overcome my digestive issues, especially reflux.

I've also found that using digestive enzymes/bile acids has been essential. This may seem counterintuitive if you have acid reflux and especially in light of "alkalizing" recommendations, but many of us with gut problems have low enzymes, and what causes us heartburn is not over-production of bile and digestive enzymes but underproduction. Food sits undigested longer than it should, and can then push/percolate "up" into the esophagus. Properly digested food with a good transit time doesn't do this. Improperly digested food is also a player in systemic inflammation. WRT leaky gut, I think undigested food is supposed to escape through the enlarged junctions between cells in the gut tissues, carrying bacteria and endotoxin with it.

Taurine and glycine in combo are very helpful, as well. Those two are necessary for the production of bile in the liver, and many of us are lacking in them. I found TUDCA a very helpful supp, but read up on it before trying it. You shouldn't drink while you're taking it, and there may be other caveats. I found it very benign.

Antibiotics may be helpful, as well. I was forced to go on an undesirably extensive course of abx for couple of months, and it wound up being a blessing because in combo with all the other meausres my gut problems are pretty much cleared up now. They were getting better over time, and then the abx seemed to put me over the top. Caveat is that we don't want to use abx lightly, because they kill the good flora as well as the bad. Also, I did develop symptoms of ulcerative colitis for a couple days not long after I was completely done with the abx. After doing some research I found out that UC often develops after using the same abx I was given, for as long as I was on them. I used VSL 3 probiotic and a bacterial strain called clostridium butyricum (a butyrate producing strain) that completely resolved the UC symptoms in less 24 hours. Gone. TMI alert: it was so bad that I lost control of my bowels once, due to the extreme sudden urgency, and was living near the bathroom for a couple of days because of that nasty symptom of UC. So the quick resolution from probx was verifiable and not due to anything else.

Peat doesn't like probiotics and neither do most on this board, but I believe they can play a big role in recovery of gut issues, especially after abx use. Problem is that most of us don't use them properly...pouring them into a gut that's already got a poor gut flora ratio of good:bad isn't likely to yield good results because even the good guys die and can therefore exacerbate endotoxin problems (esp. if the gut is leaky). Also, using poor quality probx is next to useless.

But I found that in a gut that's been carpet bombed with strong abx and is essentially starting out "sterile", the "good guys" (bifido and lactobacilli strains like are found in VSL 3) can really, really help in keeping the bad guys that we're bound to ingest, or the bad guys we already have that are abx-resistant, in check. Bad bacteria is everywhere, is more ubiquitous than good, and we can't live or eat in sterile labs. So if we kill all our flora with abx, we have to implement some measures to allow the good guys to recover while still living our normal lives. Transient probiotic strains like bifidos and lactobacilli can overwhelm the bad guys while simultaneously allowing our native good guys to make a comeback. I credit VSL 3 and the clostidium butyricum ENTIRELY with resolving my short-lived UC symptoms. Well, that and not eating processed crap food, which is loaded with bad bacteria.

I now believe the role for probx is probably mostly maintenance...i.e., keeping the bad guys from running amok, rather than in actually resolving any extensive flora ratio problems on their own. Although for bacterial issues that aren't that far along yet, properly-used, high-quality probiotics are probably also useful, which is why they seem to work for some people but not for others. I used probx for my leaky gut and IBS issues for years with very limited success, but using them after this aggressive bout of abx, while keeping up with good, healthy lifestyle habits, has been a very enlightening and beneficial experience. I realize now a lot of my problems were bacterial, and that Peat is entirely right about the place of abx in health recovery. I had a prejudice against abx for a long time, but no longer. It was unwarranted, and came about because of an improper understanding of how they can and should be used. I think there's a similar misunderstanding by Peat and some others around here, about probiotics. Hopefully one day it can be similarly overcome. IMO a lot of people may be missing out on probx benefits, esp. after abx use.

Worth noting is that I don't take probx every day. I did for a couple of months, but now I'm down to once per week or every couple weeks as a prophylactic measure. No evidence of increased inflammation or any other symptoms of increased endotoxin load.

Anyway...that's all about that. Hope there's something in there of value to you. I wish you luck and success with your gut issues in the New Year!
This is extremely good. I was reading the clostridium butyrim metabolizes lactate as well as reduce endotoxin. Supposedly there are some pathogenic strains, but i havent read anything pathological regarding this strain and presume those are immunocompronised states. A very impressive antibiotic. I think ray is chiefy oppsed to lactic acid producing bacteria.

goodandevil

Yeah there's something about nicotine that seems to help. I don't know the exact science behind it but I'm pretty sure it has to due with the intestinal smooth muscle. Ironically I finally got diagnosed with celiac during a quit attempt in 2011. I went to the dr because my bowels had virtually shut down and I was eating a ton of fiber from wheat.
An older dietician told me that back in the day during her clinical training they used to put nicotine patches on all the GI patients in the hospital. I'm not sure if it's worth the addiction risk though. I suppose that's a personal decision. I learned in smoking cessation training that if a persons mom smoked while pregnant with them it can increase the chances they will become addicted.
That's interesting. Maybe so many people were quitting cigarettes back in the day that they noticed it helped gi problems.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@goodandevil
No doubt. That's all I needed to hear to justify running right out to buy a pack!:lol:

Zpol

@goodandevil
No doubt. That's all I needed to hear to justify running right out to buy a pack!:lol:

Me too! I did eventually quit entirely, my boyfriend has some signs of emphysema and CVD already at 40 years old so can't start that up again unfortunately or he will freak.

I can hardly believe I'm actually reading about nicotine helping GI symptoms. I definitely experienced that years ago when I still smoked but I thought it was all in my head!

Another interesting thing about nicotine is that it is very neuroprotective and people who smoke statistically have lower probability of developing Parkinson's. Same goes for red peppers and potatoes, they have high amounts of naturally occurring nicotine and people who eat them daily also statistically have lower probability of developing Parkinson's.

In some native Indian cultures the higher nicotine tobacco varieties are considered sacred. Smoking it is a peace gesture and it was used for its Medicinal benefits.

Obviously all the benefits would not be found in gas station brand ciggs without dangerous side effects. I would think you'd have get organic from a trusted source and roll your own. I can see how the nicotine patch mighta also work. Wonder if anyone has tried it?

OP
Broken man

Broken man

Me too! I did eventually quit entirely, my boyfriend has some signs of emphysema and CVD already at 40 years old so can't start that up again unfortunately or he will freak.

I can hardly believe I'm actually reading about nicotine helping GI symptoms. I definitely experienced that years ago when I still smoked but I thought it was all in my head!

Another interesting thing about nicotine is that it is very neuroprotective and people who smoke statistically have lower probability of developing Parkinson's. Same goes for red peppers and potatoes, they have high amounts of naturally occurring nicotine and people who eat them daily also statistically have lower probability of developing Parkinson's.

In some native Indian cultures the higher nicotine tobacco varieties are considered sacred. Smoking it is a peace gesture and it was used for its Medicinal benefits.

Obviously all the benefits would not be found in gas station brand ciggs without dangerous side effects. I would think you'd have get organic from a trusted source and roll your own. I can see how the nicotine patch mighta also work. Wonder if anyone has tried it?
I am experimenting with e cigarette but I dont know if its worth for the side effects but I can say for sure that when I am using about 1-3 mg of nicotine, my bowels are great and the overall good feeling. I think that when I am using nicotine I need more B1.

OP
Broken man

Broken man

How much K2 mk4 are you taking? @Zpol @Blossom I found that I have flare ups when I am taking it but my condition is better and better. I found that K2 is very important for me atleast based on my experience.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
How much K2 mk4 are you taking? @Zpol @Blossom I found that I have flare ups when I am taking it but my condition is better and better. I found that K2 is very important for me atleast based on my experience.
5 mg most days. Sometimes I'll increase it to 10 mg if I've taken a few aspirin.

Zpol

I only take about 3 mg per day. I think I could probably up it to 5.

James ardagna

check out this derivative of Taurine, Taurolidine, was originally used to treat catheter infections but is now being looked at as an anti cancer agent. it is non toxic and one of its mechanisms is to break down the components that make up bacterial endotoxin:

Taurolidine is an antimicrobial that is used to try to prevent infections in catheters.[1] Side effects and the induction of bacterial resistance is uncommon.[1] It is also being studied as a treatment for cancer.[2]

It is derived from the endogenous amino acid taurine. Taurolidine’s putative mechanism of action is based on a chemical reaction. During the metabolism of taurolidine to taurinamide and ultimately taurine and water, methylol groups are liberated that chemically react with the mureins in the bacterial cell wall and with the amino and hydroxyl groups of endotoxins and exotoxins. This results in denaturing of the complex polysaccharide and lipopolysaccharide components of the bacterial cell wall and of the endotoxin and in the inactivation of susceptible exotoxins.[3]

So Im guessing that this would be useful for neutralising bacterial endotoxin, which is also why it is anti cancer.

OP
Broken man

Broken man

Mast Cells Travel To The Brain

I do notice reduced water retention from 500mg+ per dose. Niacinamide is also anti-histamine, so we can add this to its positive count. Knowing how powerfully anti-inflammatory niacinamide is, it can't really be pro-histamine. Theanine and the drug ketotifen have very similar effects on mast cell histamine.
Nicotinamide: a potential addition to the anti-psoriatic weaponry. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Nicotinamide is a potent phosphodiesterase inhibitor and suppresses neutrophil chemotaxis and mast cell histamine release. It inhibits nitric oxide synthase mRNA induction and suppresses antigen-induced lymphocyte transformation. Nicotinamide increases the biosynthesis of ceramides, which upon degradation produce sphingosine. Sphingosine inhibits protein kinase C (PKC) and decreases basal cell proliferation dependent on PKC. Taken together, it can be reasoned that nicotinamide could be a useful addition to anti-psoriatic armamentarium. The combination of nicotinamide and thalidomide or methotrexate provided a powerful synergistic inhibition of murine collagen-induced arthritis. Nicotinamide decreased the methotrexate-induced hepatotoxicity. The above combinations may prove to have a powerful anti-psoriatic effect as well. As PARP inhibitors could exert anti-retroviral effect, nicotinamide could also be of special value in the treatment of HIV-infected psoriatics."

check out this derivative of Taurine, Taurolidine, was originally used to treat catheter infections but is now being looked at as an anti cancer agent. it is non toxic and one of its mechanisms is to break down the components that make up bacterial endotoxin:

Taurolidine is an antimicrobial that is used to try to prevent infections in catheters.[1] Side effects and the induction of bacterial resistance is uncommon.[1] It is also being studied as a treatment for cancer.[2]

It is derived from the endogenous amino acid taurine. Taurolidine’s putative mechanism of action is based on a chemical reaction. During the metabolism of taurolidine to taurinamide and ultimately taurine and water, methylol groups are liberated that chemically react with the mureins in the bacterial cell wall and with the amino and hydroxyl groups of endotoxins and exotoxins. This results in denaturing of the complex polysaccharide and lipopolysaccharide components of the bacterial cell wall and of the endotoxin and in the inactivation of susceptible exotoxins.[3]

So Im guessing that this would be useful for neutralising bacterial endotoxin, which is also why it is anti cancer.

This stuff sounds awesome. Where can it be purchased for research? It is prescription only?

T

TheBeard

As far as minimizing gut bacteria to limit endotoxins, would it be better to take penicillin and doxicycline on empty stomachs?

The leaflets mention to take them with food to increase absorption, but absorption is not our goal here, we want a localized gut action.

If there is no food in the way, they could potentially act more efficiently?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals