Guidelines For Leaky Gut, High Lactate, Damaged Intestine, Celiac Disease

OP
Broken man

Broken man

I think @theLaw mentioned most of my "tricks". The cypro probably played the biggest role and since it also lowers cortisol it allows one to go into a more anabolic and less sensitive state, where food does not cause that many gut issues even if it is suboptimal.
Thank you for your response, I am using cypro about 4 months, with dosage about 4-8 mg its not doing much for my gut but its good to have it when I am smoking. Cypro should mitigate dangers of nicotine, Am I right?

OP
Broken man

Broken man

@Broken man
Sure; but I can't say this will be the best diet for you. I'm at the point where I get celiac flare ups from dairy (except ghee), rice, corn, and a few other things too, plus I have gastroparisis and GERD.
Upon waking - One or two Jennies brand Coconut Macaroon + black coffee, 1 cup (not optimal, but it's all I can tolerate 1st thing in morning at this time)
1st meal - 2 or 3 free range eggs, lightly cooked to retain the choline, plus roasted veg, usually bok choy and tri-colored sweet peppers, and a fruit usually applesauce, OJ, cantaloupe (anything easy to digest that is ripe and I'm not allergic to)
Snack - One or two Jennies brand Coconut Macaroon + black coffee, (again, not a balanced snack but it's all i can tolerate)
2nd meal - lean meat (chicken breast, steak, haddock, cod, zero fat tuna), a bit of coconut oil or ghee, or if it's tuna a bit of olive oil mayo, raw carrot sticks (which I cut lengthwise to not damage the fibers), ginger-ale (not a good choice but feels so good in my belly, I typically add a nettle leaf which is an anti-histamine, tincture to it {fyi, it's better as an infusion than a tea or tincture}), a piece of GF, dairy free, soy free chocolate. I do try to cook with bone broth or add collegen hydrolysate to muscle meat (like an arrowroot gravy or added to a sauce).
Snack - Jackson's brand potato chips, some leftover meat, red wine (sulfate free, organic)... not good I know but the coconut oil, salt, wine combo makes me sleep like a baby.

Mind you, this is not my ultimate diet plan. I am currently trying to keep my boyfriend alive who has much more severe and urgent health issues than me and I am basically his sole care-taker, plus I want to spend every spare second with him. Also, I am like you as far as work schedule, I spend about 11 to 12 hrs a day at work and commuting, don't get home till late.
I hear you when you say you would prefer to spend your valuable spare time with your girlfriend than doing food prep or other 'healthy' lifestyle things that are very isolating. I'm mean what's the point in attaining health if you have no spare time to enjoy the benefits?!?

Please do not be discouraged by RP's response. No one, including RP, can tell you what is best via 1 or 2 emails or phone consults for that matter. On that note; I do believe he was refering to sunlight Vt. D than supplement. The sun gives our cells energy. I'm hoping my incandescent light will do the same; I use it when I'm at most high stress time of day.

I personally don't bother with Cypro. It can be harsh on the liver, it can make one extremely lethargic, and it can cause constipation (those last two I have severely already).
I do Estoban, Energin, MitoLipin, Defibron, Oxidal, Kuinone, Lapodin, Aged Cascara Sagrada bark, an additional Emodin supplement, metylated b12 and folate, protease enzymes, Zyrtec, Liothyronine, Levothyronine, and Magnesium Bicarbonate water (which I make myself).
I am about to start with some Moringa powder and Artemisinin dried leaf extract.
You are like hero for me, the sad part is that its all about money like everything, I cant imagine how much money you spend for food and supplements. I dont have a job now and I have enough of this sh*t called life. I dont know if I had high dopamine or low serotonin, I was always the positive, sunny person in our family but I am not now. I hope that you are doing well. When I was calculating how much time I lost because was finding info how to improve my health. Its more sad.

OP
Broken man

Broken man

One big aggravation for me was glycine. I was fortunate to discover that last year when I ordered a glycine powder to help my husband's inflammation. Perhaps it is the glycine in gelatin powder that also causes me a flareup.

I avoid all the usual soy, gums, nuts, fake sugars... I use 1% milk with coffee and sugar. Oj and apple j. Eggs. Presently I need to use made up foods like chicken salad due to time restraints, but this is unusual. I usually cook broths and spend a lot of time cooking. In winter we always have soup on the stove, even now we do.

I follow all of Ray's advice that I can. Even after a few years, still important I find to keep reading his newsletters and advice. Way back, I have a biochemistry background. That helps me to evaluate and appreciate Ray Peat. The main element in my diet is to keep it very simple and try not to be hysterical and.... keep reading Ray Peat material.
Thank you. My routine is almost like you. Ray is very clever but sometimes I doubt about his teaching.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thank you for your response, I am using cypro about 4 months, with dosage about 4-8 mg its not doing much for my gut but its good to have it when I am smoking. Cypro should mitigate dangers of nicotine, Am I right?

Anything that opposes acetylcholine should protect from nicotine. So, caffeine is another one and user @tyw also mentioned niacinamide in another post.

Zpol

You are like hero for me, the sad part is that its all about money like everything, I cant imagine how much money you spend for food and supplements. I dont have a job now and I have enough of this sh*t called life. I dont know if I had high dopamine or low serotonin, I was always the positive, sunny person in our family but I am not now. I hope that you are doing well. When I was calculating how much time I lost because was finding info how to improve my health. Its more sad.

We sound a lot alike. I spend almost all my free time researching, and the rest of it being laid-up sick and in pain, and this for the last 20 yrs. But I've been making progress, now that I understand nutrition and a little basic biochemistry.

So you are currently unemployed, not much money, and you're sick... I been there. If you can't eat 100% for best nutrition at this time, don't worry about it, just do the best you can (avoid gluten obviously though), if you can't afford all the supplements you need, just get the absolute necessary ones for now, basically, just do what you have to do to get by for now. I don't know if you know this, but it can take several months, even years for the inflammation in your guts to fully heal after eliminating gluten, so there is a waiting period before you start to feel like your pre-Celiac self again, but it will happen.

Also, I've been there were I have no desire to continue with all the awfulness of life. Yes, there may be some chemical imbalance contributing to that type of sadness, but when I was broke I didn't have access to diagnostics to find out what the imbalance was nor the money to buy supplements or medications to fix it. So I researched other things like meditation, self-hypnosis, sun-bathing, and mental techniques that helped alleviate pain, you know, things that were free :D.

Fortunately, you are already on the right path, I know this because you are here on this forum and you are taking your health into your own hands.

OP
Broken man

Broken man

We sound a lot alike. I spend almost all my free time researching, and the rest of it being laid-up sick and in pain, and this for the last 20 yrs. But I've been making progress, now that I understand nutrition and a little basic biochemistry.

So you are currently unemployed, not much money, and you're sick... I been there. If you can't eat 100% for best nutrition at this time, don't worry about it, just do the best you can (avoid gluten obviously though), if you can't afford all the supplements you need, just get the absolute necessary ones for now, basically, just do what you have to do to get by for now. I don't know if you know this, but it can take several months, even years for the inflammation in your guts to fully heal after eliminating gluten, so there is a waiting period before you start to feel like your pre-Celiac self again, but it will happen.

Also, I've been there were I have no desire to continue with all the awfulness of life. Yes, there may be some chemical imbalance contributing to that type of sadness, but when I was broke I didn't have access to diagnostics to find out what the imbalance was nor the money to buy supplements or medications to fix it. So I researched other things like meditation, self-hypnosis, sun-bathing, and mental techniques that helped alleviate pain, you know, things that were free :D.

Fortunately, you are already on the right path, I know this because you are here on this forum and you are taking your health into your own hands.
Thank you for the nice words. Even I am without job now I can say that I had success with my diet and supplements after 1 year of trying. I want to say that the progress what I did now is much more than I did the months before. I did alot of reading, tried alot of things, ate prety well. Like you said, I am doing NOFAP, reading books which is for free :D . I want to say that books by Viktor Emanuel Frankl are miracles and will help everybody who has hard times with healing his body. Without his work, nothing made sense until it all had sense like Ray said. Did you read the threads about NAD and autoimunne conditions? Niacinamide should help us!!

Zpol

I want to say that books by Viktor Emanuel Frankl are miracles and will help everybody who has hard times with healing his body. Without his work, nothing made sense until it all had sense like Ray said. Did you read the threads about NAD and autoimunne conditions? Niacinamide should help us!!

I just looked up this Viktor Emanuel Frankl, looks exactly like the kind of thing I would enjoy to read and find helpful. Thanks! Along the lines of Michael Gazzaniga and Vilayanur S. Ramachandran, two of my other favorite authors. It's important to know how we think and perceive, and how our minds work to truly understand our nature (including our biochemistry).

I have read about NAD and Niacinamide. I take a small amount of Niacinamide in my Energin supplement but I am concerned about it raising my blood plasma homocysteine levels which are already high. I have elevated homocysteine due to a gene variation called MTHFR so I have to be careful. I might try some plain Niacin instead, I am currently researching it.

OP
Broken man

Broken man

I just looked up this Viktor Emanuel Frankl, looks exactly like the kind of thing I would enjoy to read and find helpful. Thanks! Along the lines of Michael Gazzaniga and Vilayanur S. Ramachandran, two of my other favorite authors. It's important to know how we think and perceive, and how our minds work to truly understand our nature (including our biochemistry).

I have read about NAD and Niacinamide. I take a small amount of Niacinamide in my Energin supplement but I am concerned about it raising my blood plasma homocysteine levels which are already high. I have elevated homocysteine due to a gene variation called MTHFR so I have to be careful. I might try some plain Niacin instead, I am currently researching it.

Zpol

Thanks. Don't know how I missed this post by @haidut .

I purposely got my blood work done before starting Energin, so I'll give it some time and get retested. Don't know what I'd do without Energin, it's literally the only form of B6 that doesn't give me severe headaches.

I do have deficiencies with folate and B12 so I'm going have to continue to supplement with those too, for now at least.

EIRE24

I purposely got my blood work done before starting Energin, so I'll give it some time and get retested. Don't know what I'd do without Energin, it's literally the only form of B6 that doesn't give me severe headaches.

I do have deficiencies with folate and B12 so I'm going have to continue to supplement with those too, for now at least.
Eat some beef liver. B12 and folate

OP
Broken man

Broken man

I am not sure but I think that Ray or somebody else wrote that B12 deficiency is from low stomach acid.

OP
Broken man

Broken man

Yes, I've read the same. I've been working on that too.
I had problems with it too so I will show what I found here.
the main things involved in gastric acid production are peptide hormones (enough protein), sodium chloride, potassium chloride, and CO2...so have enough protein, potassium and salt (sodium chloride, not baking soda) mainly...and don't be dehydrated. You also just need enough raw energy to produce CO2 that can be split and used in HCL production. If you are already low, it can be hard because you obviously need to digest energy to then produce energy. I think milk could actually be a good tool if you are fine with lactose. If not, decoct (boil in water and strain) cacao powder or nibs or something with a lot of potassium, coffee could be helpful but sometimes it is too strong...gauge it by taste (fruit might be hard if the digestion is already low, and fiberous food), add a bit of cane sugar and pinch salt to help. Carrot juice, though not recommended long term or in large amounts, is actually a really good tool to rebuild digestion...tons of potassium, some sodium and chloride, easy to digest...some protein but youd probably want something else in addition.

You gotta keep in mind though, you cant just fix digestion and expect it to stay fully firing, you kind of have to get into a flow of consistenly keeping it up...basically through diet is the main way. Stress can temporarily lower it, but if it was already strong to begin with it will spring back as or almost as strong after the stress subsides...where as if it was low to begin with, even lowering stress wouldn't bring it up to par

Both caffeine and taurine increase stomach acid and a safe way to get both is to drink RedBull. I'd say 2-3 of these a day is enough. Lemon juice has citric acid, which will actually decrease stomach acid output. Vinegar is fine in small quantities.

I forgot to mention that caffeine stimulates acid production. I can't find the study right now but the effect was very strong and used relatively low dosage around 200mg. Also, coffee stimulates acid production and I think the effect was due to chlorogenic acid in the coffee.

I think digestion of certain foods gets better with time, especially the one that
got to do with gut flora. There are several studies showing digestion of milk
improved even in lactose intolerant people with repeated exposure.
If someone has bad bacteria then ingesting soluble fiber will most likely
worsen digestion. You just have to pay attention how you feel when you
add new foods.
Studies showing caffeine increasing estrogen are flawed.
There is a RP reply on this in Email Advice section.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1543&start=10
RP usually does not recommend isolated amino acids, but he has written
about glycine in magnesium glycinate supplement. I remember studies
where they saw improvement in diabetic patient using 5 grams of
glycine daily. Here is a RP quote on magnesium glycinate.
He also mentioned that Taurine is structurally similar to glycine and
has some similar benefits. RP mentioned that both Glycine and Taurine
have anti-estrogenic function. Glycine has tons of health benefits besides this.

I know you have reservations about this, but thiamine has shown to work just as well as betaine in raising gastric acid output. Its mechanism of action was found to be not so much the presence of Cl- ions (if thiamine is used ad hydrochloride salt) but more due to the raising of CO2. Co2 also regulates gastric acid output. Glycine does as well, and there is no need to contain Cl- ions as glycine activates the chloride channels. So, using pure glycine and/or thiamine seems to work just as well.
Proper production of gastric acid has been shown to be crucial for the prevention of SIBO and IBS. Now, I don't know if it has effects on viruses in the colon but I don't see why not.
My suspicion is that gastric acid, being a strong Lewis acid is simply a respiration stimulator, and points things back to metabolism :): Sorry, did not mean to start another heated discussion on this.

I know that protein , zinc and b6 are needed for HCL production and maybe taurine can help too .

Coffee beans that are minimally roasted increase stomach acid production while dark roast have a neutral effect I think .

T3 plays a part aswell as keeping adrenaline low ... I think keeping adrenaline low would be the main thing to try and do for all digestive heath issues .

But you probably know all these things already , I can't say I'm much help on the issue because personally have not experienced the effects of low stomach acid and fixed it to speak in absolutel confidence .

Thanks for the motivating compliments .. not a day goes by were I'm not trying to be the improved version of myself so that others might take my advice seriously and enjoy the quality of life that I do

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hello, I am happy that I found somebody with this disease. I know that member @Blossom is celiac too. Its sad that I cant find much about this disease from Ray peat or Haidut but I know that Haidut had gut problems too and I gained alot of from his old posts. I can say that my erection problems are away thanks to him. I did small research and its too much money. I am curious, did you improve with vit. K2 or vit. E? I can say that K2 is really helpful and vit. E too even I have flare ups. I am taking them about 5 months and I see that my skin is much better, my tolerance to caffeine improved too. Thank you for your advice.
I'm really sorry that I just saw this post. I was working a three night stretch and wasn't online during that time. Anyway it looks like you've gotten lots of great suggestions.
My personal experience has been that it took a few years for my gut (and whole body really) to heal the damage from celiac. Different foods bothered me at different times and sometimes there seemed to be no logical explanation for why a certain food started causing issues or stopped causing issues for that matter. I'm talking about even naturally gluten free Peat friendly food. The good news is that nothing bothers me anymore so it should eventually get better for you as well. Cyproheptadine was by far the most helpful supplement/medicine I used as far as GI benefits. I also kept zofran on hand and used it as needed for nausea for quite some time. Cascara of course helps especially if you have constipation and unfortunately zofran had that side effect for me. Some people report constipation with cyproheptadine. It's anecdotal but I've read a lot of personal experiences on celiac dot com and it seems common for people to report a very gradual improvement in GI symptoms with celiac recovery (excluding gluten exposure of course).
I'm not suggesting you should take all or any of the supplements/medicines I mentioned I just wanted to tell you what helped me.
Whatever you do stay vigilant about avoiding gluten. I made the mistake of becoming lax a couple years into peating because I was feeling so good and then started having DH (dermatitis herpetiformis) flares worse than ever. It took over a year after becoming strict again for the DH to completely subside.
Good luck to you. I know it's frustrating but it really should get better with time. You're on the right track being here!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
What about nicotine? I started with e cigarette, I have some friends which are doing okay with celiac disease and I think its because of smoking.
Yeah there's something about nicotine that seems to help. I don't know the exact science behind it but I'm pretty sure it has to due with the intestinal smooth muscle. Ironically I finally got diagnosed with celiac during a quit attempt in 2011. I went to the dr because my bowels had virtually shut down and I was eating a ton of fiber from wheat.
An older dietician told me that back in the day during her clinical training they used to put nicotine patches on all the GI patients in the hospital. I'm not sure if it's worth the addiction risk though. I suppose that's a personal decision. I learned in smoking cessation training that if a persons mom smoked while pregnant with them it can increase the chances they will become addicted.

OP
Broken man

Broken man

Yeah there's something about nicotine that seems to help. I don't know the exact science behind it but I'm pretty sure it has to due with the intestinal smooth muscle. Ironically I finally got diagnosed with celiac during a quit attempt in 2011. I went to the dr because my bowels had virtually shut down and I was eating a ton of fiber from wheat.
An older dietician told me that back in the day during her clinical training they used to put nicotine patches on all the GI patients in the hospital. I'm not sure if it's worth the addiction risk though. I suppose that's a personal decision. I learned in smoking cessation training that if a persons mom smoked while pregnant with them it can increase the chances they will become addicted.
Pregnenolone for all smokers? :D

Zpol

I had problems with it too so I will show what I found here.

Thanks! This a great collection of helpful tips!

@Stryker
"..not a day goes by were I'm not trying to be the improved version of myself so that others might take my advice seriously and enjoy the quality of life that I do"
I follow this idea too. I strive to be an example of how to overcome disease and have an amazing life despite it in hopes that others will see how far I've come and do the same for themselves. Not an easy task were I live but people do catch on.

OP
Broken man

Broken man

Thanks! This a great collection of helpful tips!

@Stryker
"..not a day goes by were I'm not trying to be the improved version of myself so that others might take my advice seriously and enjoy the quality of life that I do"
I follow this idea too. I strive to be an example of how to overcome disease and have an amazing life despite it in hopes that others will see how far I've come and do the same for themselves. Not an easy task were I live but people do catch on.
Ye @Stryker is cool guy and good example for living.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals