Gues Who Wins?Van Tulleken Twin Doctors Go On Month Long High-fat And High-sugar Diet (BBC Document)

PakPik

Hi all!

I thought this documentary was an honest exercise, and very telling results from extreme macronutrient intakes! Even Mr. Lustig appears, but the docs seem skeptical about his theories!

I found this documentary very cool, so I wanted to share

Philomath

Nice find! I thought it was going do validate Dr. Peats work then...
Somehow the combination of fat and sugar (ice cream) is unnatural, fat building and addicting. We fed the rats cheesecake and they got fato_O. Could it be the carrageenan in the cream cheese???
They were soo close!

OP
P

PakPik

Somehow the combination of fat and sugar (ice cream) is unnatural, fat building and addicting. We fed the rats cheesecake and they got fato_O. Could it be the carrageenan in the cream cheese???
They were soo close!
Exactly my thoughts! It would have been like the most awesome diet documentary had they arrived at the best conclusions, but it was still good! They could have said, high carb-low fat diet has been fantastic, let's just make sure we cover all the micronutrients and protein needs. Their so called conclusion most probably has to do with the fact that commercial food is a mixture of bad oils and carragenan kind of stuff. Who wouldn't get metabolic sickness from that?!?!

Tarmander

I liked it. Seems pretty much as expected. The high sugar diet makes you smarter, more positive, higher athletic performance, more insulin sensitive, higher calorie intake, better blood sugar control.

High fat and protein diet was like the exact opposite, high blood sugars, guy was dumber and less happy, lost more weight but more of it was muscle. Also interesting that the guy focused on mufa and pufa as healthy fats. He looked pretty alarmed when he was told how much damage his diet was doing to him.

It's too bad at the end they called the 50/50 mix of fat and sugar a deadly addictive mixture. Someday we'll hopefully stop referring to food in this way. By the by, fat and sugar together IS found in nature, it's called milk.

OP
P

PakPik

He looked pretty alarmed when he was told how much damage his diet was doing to him.
I think someone should welcome him to a RP style metabolic rehab :D
I liked they were mostly honest in their experiment, despite not reaching the soundest conclusion, and I agree with your comment.

"You got better at producing insulin"

"Oh so it's like alcohol, right? My body can deal with the sugar better?"

Tenacity

I think the beginning of the documentary is very telling. The twin on the right, the sugar twin, appears younger than the fat twin.

Drareg

This video must be ignored then when we look at the current tax they want in the uk.
How they are framing the current sugar tax sums up modern politics, plagued with imbeciles. The reasoning is non existent, astounding,manic fuelled whims.
Jamie Oliver is a megalomaniac, he has his money made based off TV shows that encourage people to stay in all night being sedentary ,he now wants to be a hero/saviour based off what a boardroom of PR people tell him about sugar, it's Jamie's new branding for the next few years, Jamie does social issues. fake chef. Mockney.
I hope for once the corporate soft drink sector expose the hypocrite, he is part of the celeb circuit that are fuelled on Xanax daily.
Thankfully It seems many people in the UK are well aware of his hypocrisy, it must kill him to not be adored by all.

OldMan

They were soo close!
No mention made of the Randle Cycle.... big fail on their part.... and Randle was one of Britians greats

quazimodo

Putting aside all the moronic analysis and the cirque du soleil right answer management from the doctor in the vid....I think I will go with high carb moderate protein for the win. These twins have done me a tremendous service...and they are twins...from an analytical standpoint ( one study) it doesn't get any better than this.

Thanks for posting the vid.

BibleBeliever

The bike race contest very true; sugar wins.
I remember when I tried full out low carb; weight loss yeah, but most of the time exercise performance was extremely diminished. Sprint-type burst exercises were the worst. Bike to the stairs daily, climb up 500 stairs with bike in one arm. Was never able to keep the same pace in low carb. Out of breathe at the top much more intense, a bit of light headedness too.
The only cool aspect is readding carbs after going low carb; it's like they give you double the energy they normally would.

Back
Top Bottom