GSK3 Antagonists (Drug For Alzheimer) May Heal Dentine In Rats?

This study was passed around in some of the Ray Peat groups and popped up on scientific news site lately. Could this be the end-all and destiny for dentistry?

I was wondering what are some of the natural alternatives in terms of GSK3 antagonists and alternatives to delivering it the way like a fillings (which probably need to be done by a dentist)

What are your thoughts? Just hype or real science here? I don't quite get the mechanism as I'm quite new to this whole science thing.
Abstract
The restoration of dentine lost in deep caries lesions in teeth is a routine and common treatment that involves the use of inorganic cements based on calcium or silicon-based mineral aggregates. Such cements remain in the tooth and fail to degrade and thus normal mineral volume is never completely restored. Here we describe a novel, biological approach to dentine restoration that stimulates the natural formation of reparative dentine via the mobilisation of resident stem cells in the tooth pulp. Biodegradable, clinically-approved collagen sponges are used to deliver low doses of small molecule glycogen synthase kinase (GSK-3) antagonists that promote the natural processes of reparative dentine formation to completely restore dentine. Since the carrier sponge is degraded over time, dentine replaces the degraded sponge leading to a complete, effective natural repair. This simple, rapid natural tooth repair process could thus potentially provide a new approach to clinical tooth restoration.
Study Link:
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep39654

Fingers are crossed that this thing come out in the real world but it'll probably have to wait till all the dentists that are making BIG money right now retire...

Philomath

The cation lithium was the first “natural” GSK-3 inhibitor discovered (Klein and Melton, 1996; Stambolic et al., 1996). Lithium (meaning lithium salts) is a mood stabilizer long used in treatment of bipolar disorders. Lithium inhibits GSK-3 directly by competition with magnesium ions (Klein and Melton, 1996; Ryves and Harwood, 2001) and indirectly via enhanced serine phosphorylation and autoregulation (De Sarno et al., 2001; Zhang et al., 2003; Kirshennboim et al., 2004).

Other metal ions such as beryllium, zinc, mercury, and copper are potent GSK-3 inhibitors (Ilouz et al., 2002; Ryves et al., 2002).

Sunrise

The cation lithium was the first “natural” GSK-3 inhibitor discovered (Klein and Melton, 1996; Stambolic et al., 1996). Lithium (meaning lithium salts) is a mood stabilizer long used in treatment of bipolar disorders. Lithium inhibits GSK-3 directly by competition with magnesium ions (Klein and Melton, 1996; Ryves and Harwood, 2001) and indirectly via enhanced serine phosphorylation and autoregulation (De Sarno et al., 2001; Zhang et al., 2003; Kirshennboim et al., 2004).

Other metal ions such as beryllium, zinc, mercury, and copper are potent GSK-3 inhibitors (Ilouz et al., 2002; Ryves et al., 2002).

may play in sinthony with lithium's gut lining repairing effect that contributes to positive contributing bacteria that diminish the influence of auxotrophic bacteria, instead of the eradicating alternative of the gut- dental health axis explained by peat when mentioning some dentist noticing how antibiotic and laxatives reduce dental health issues.

Sunrise

Surprised to see this thread has not waken much attention. I find it is huge for dental health.

I am researching how lithium may restore gut lining, thereby assuring housing for anaerobic bacteria which is life enhancing for their human host, by as well eliminating auxotrophic aerobic bacteria. That is getting rid of certain bacteria for dental health's sake, which Peat would instead talk about by direct elimination through use of antibiotics.

I am looking forward GsK3 antagonism bringing light of hope for even reversing gums issue.

Mauritio

GSK3 inhibitors are really remarkable.
They have been shown to be protective against many neural diseases.
There is a very basic mechanism of action: the increased supply and oxidation of glucose leading to increased NAD+ levels.

"We demonstrate that GSK3β inhibition increases mitochondrial respiration and membrane potential and alters NAD(P)H metabolism."

Progesterone, famotidine, tideglusib and zinc are some GSK3 inhibitors that I know about.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals