Grown Mammals do not drink milk

SQu

Potjies yes! Good for gelatin. But those Amazon fish with saturated fat of yours - wow.
Back to milk - what is the Brazilian attitude to it?

Amazoniac

sueq said:
Potjies yes! Good for gelatin. But those Amazon fish with saturated fat of yours - wow.
Back to milk - what is the Brazilian attitude to it?

Sorry, haven't seen your message. But dairy in all forms, in most meals. Breakfast are light but include chocolate milk and some bread with butter. Lunch consist mostly of fattier options, like heavy cream, etc. Snack, some fermented dairy like cheese/yogurt. Dinners are also lighter and look a lot like breakfast, they often include bread+butter+cheese.

Parsifal

I don't think that the argument that growth mammals don't drink milk makes sense, but I've read a more interesting claim that Cow's milk is made to grow her baby very quickly and bigger than a human, that the milk contains a lot of growth hormone?

YuraCZ

Parsifal said:
post 99978 I don't think that the argument that growth mammals don't drink milk makes sense, but I've read a more interesting claim that Cow's milk is made to grow her baby very quickly and bigger than a human, that the milk contains a lot of growth hormone?
I'm worried about estrogen not GH..

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jb116

YuraCZ said:
post 99987
Parsifal said:
post 99978 I don't think that the argument that growth mammals don't drink milk makes sense, but I've read a more interesting claim that Cow's milk is made to grow her baby very quickly and bigger than a human, that the milk contains a lot of growth hormone?
I'm worried about estrogen not GH..

The estrogen is a bound type, it is ready for excretion so it's not much of a worry.
The igf-1 inquiry is a good one since I believe Peat mentioned it's fine but other times
he has referenced igf as a detriment. For example in his breast cancer article.

CoolTweetPete

I do understand this argument, but only as it relates to calcium. If nature intends such high levels of calcium for good health, where did our ancestors obtain such calcium?

Was it simply a rate limiting factor in them becoming optimal? Were they just parathyroid hormone'd out? :ss

Parsifal

CoolTweetPete said:
post 99997 I do understand this argument, but only as it relates to calcium. If nature intends such high levels of calcium for good health, where did our ancestors obtain such calcium?

Was it simply a rate limiting factor in them becoming optimal? Were they just parathyroid hormone'd out? :ss

Evolution is such a b**** :mrgreen:.

What I was wondering is if you can afford it, isn't it better to get your calcium and proteins from other sources than dairy in order to go towards an optimal health.

Brian

Parsifal said:
post 99999
CoolTweetPete said:
post 99997 I do understand this argument, but only as it relates to calcium. If nature intends such high levels of calcium for good health, where did our ancestors obtain such calcium?

Evolution is such a b*tch :mrgreen:.

What I was wondering is if you can afford it, isn't it better to get your calcium and proteins from other sources than dairy in order to go towards an optimal health.

Most of mammalian evolution was shaped by a diet of leaves and insects, which are both high in calcium and low in phosphorous. Chimpanzees eat about 30% of their diet by weight from greens.

Some human vegans seem to do alright on this chimpanzee diet of fruits and leafy greens in a juice or salad. They have to eat 1-2 pounds of greens a day though, so juicing is a must.

Even Peat thinks a leaf broth can be a decent substitute for the minerals in milk, but it becomes kind of impractical if you are using it to completely replace it. I grew some kale this summer and had kale broth a few times I liked it, but it was a lot of work just to get some minerals that I could easily get from a few cups of milk.

I don't think most people necessarily need 2 grams+ of calcium a day. I think just 1 gram can work if your A, D, E, K, and magnesium are sufficient, while your phosphorous intake is low enough.

Parsifal

There are a lot of oxalates in the leaves though (and a lot of other poisons/goitrogens/antinutrients). A lot of the long term raw foodist and vegans seems to have weak bones...

Brian

Parsifal said:
post 100006 There are a lot of oxalates in the leaves though (and a lot of other poisons/goitrogens/antinutrients). A lot of the long term raw foodist and vegans seems to have weak bones...

I think the ones that do OK on raw greens try do avoid the most toxic greens and take extra iodine. Even the ones who are doing OK don't seem to be thriving. If they would just cook their greens, like in Ray's kale broth, they would probably do a lot better.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
IIRC, Ray Peat said baking soda could help with the oxalates.

Hopefully someone can confirm.

:hattip