Grounding Causes Reduced Breathing And Negative Charge

NickC

Have been experimenting recently with grounding/earthing. One unexpected effect I discovered is reduced breathing, both rate and volume.

Then decided to measure how electrical charge changes when grounded:
Ungrounded = 0 mV DC (-0.5mV - +0.5mV)
Grounded = -120mV DC
Notice that when earthed my potential goes down to a negative potential, how can that happen?

Didn't bother checking AC voltage for the following reason: if we touch an ungrounded earth mat and then measure our AC potential it is obvious that we would see an artificially high reading because the earth mat will be acting like an aerial and introducing that potential itself.

x-ray peat

I think you want to measure in AC as that is what is running in your house or actually throughout the neighborhood from the electric utility lines.

How are you setting up your multimeter?

OP
N

NickC

I think you want to measure in AC as that is what is running in your house or actually throughout the neighborhood from the electric utility lines.

How are you setting up your multimeter?

Problem with measuring AC is that it always goes to zero as soon as the host body is grounded. The only way I can see any voltage reading is to hold an un-earthed grounding mat which, of course, then just acts as an aerial.

Multimeter negative is connected to the same earth as the earthing mats etc. wrist strap is on left wrist, positive probe is held in right hand.

x-ray peat

You want your body to go to zero when its grounded. The voltage is the difference between the body and the ground and when its grounded it should be zero or close to it..

Yes holding an unearthed grounding mat would just better conduct whatever ambient electricity/emf in the air to your body so you would expect to see a higher voltage.

What is your AC voltage when you are not grounded? Put your hand on your electrical strip or computer and it should spike up

DrJ

If you have a negative voltage potential relative to ground it means positive charge flows to you and negative charge away from you. But I'm assuming you didn't flip the leads to get that reading...

OP
N

NickC

You want your body to go to zero when its grounded. The voltage is the difference between the body and the ground and when its grounded it should be zero or close to it..
So how can I be getting a negative charge when grounded but zero charge when not grounded?

Yes holding an unearthed grounding mat would just better conduct whatever ambient electricity/emf in the air to your body so you would expect to see a higher voltage.

What is your AC voltage when you are not grounded? Put your hand on your electrical strip or computer and it should spike up
AC voltage:
Ungrounded = 0V
Grounded (wrist strap) = 0V
Grounded (antistatic foot mat) = 0.6V
Grounded (wrist strap & antistatic foot mat) = 0V

If you have a negative voltage potential relative to ground it means positive charge flows to you and negative charge away from you. But I'm assuming you didn't flip the leads to get that reading...
Electrons being negatively charged suggests electrons are flooding into the body when earthed.

x-ray peat

So how can I be getting a negative charge when grounded but zero charge when not grounded?

AC voltage:
Ungrounded = 0V
Grounded (wrist strap) = 0V
Grounded (antistatic foot mat) = 0.6V
Grounded (wrist strap & antistatic foot mat) = 0V
Is your multimeter autoranging? If not try changing the range down

Electrons being negatively charged suggests electrons are flooding into the body when earthed.
Im not sure the DC measurement on your body means much given you are surrounded by AC fields.

DrJ

Electrons being negatively charged suggests electrons are flooding into the body when earthed

No it doesn't. For electrons to flow into you when you are at 'ground' implies that the source of those electrons is at lower potential than you. Without a difference in potential there is no charge flow. Also, the convention for charge flow and voltage polarity is probably opposite of what you would guess.

x-ray peat

No but minimum range for AC volts is 200V which with 4 characters on screen means the lowest resolution is 0.1V.

200 V (0.1V) is a very high minimum. That's probably why its showing zero. However something seems whacked that you are getting 0.6 V when on the antistatic mat.

Last edited:

Ras

Is earthing or grounding a legitimate, beneficial health practice?

x-ray peat

Is earthing or grounding a legitimate, beneficial health practice?
good question. some say its good because it discharges any excess electrical potential in the body while others say it is causing too much current to flow through the body, turning you into a grounding rod.
Would be curious what others have experienced

Waynish

good question. some say its good because it discharges any excess electrical potential in the body while others say it is causing too much current to flow through the body, turning you into a grounding rod.
Would be curious what others have experienced
There is also the view that it is negative. For example, in TCM you should not be barefoot on cold/damp surfaces. Good information is scarce on it currently, so I would say to use your experience to inform your practice on this one :)

OP
N

NickC

There is also the view that it is negative. For example, in TCM you should not be barefoot on cold/damp surfaces. Good information is scarce on it currently, so I would say to use your experience to inform your practice on this one :)
What is TCM please?

OP
N

NickC

No it doesn't. For electrons to flow into you when you are at 'ground' implies that the source of those electrons is at lower potential than you. Without a difference in potential there is no charge flow. Also, the convention for charge flow and voltage polarity is probably opposite of what you would guess.
So if the ground source is at lower potential than me why does that not show as a negative potential when I am connected to the meter but not grounded?

DrJ

So if the ground source is at lower potential than me why does that not show as a negative potential when I am connected to the meter but not grounded?
Need to know many things to answer your question correctly:
1) What are you calling 'ground' or 'ground source'?
2) By what method is the 'ground' grounded?
3) What lead is where (what is the positive lead touching, what is the negative lead touching)?
4) On your multimeter, if you flip leads but put them in the exact same place, does the polarity of the VDC reading change?

Remember that due to an ancient convention that is perhaps counter-intuitive, negative charge (electrons) flows from lower potential to higher, while 'positive charge' flows from high potential to lower. So if you put the positive lead on something that measures 100VDC from a 'true ground' on which you have placed your negative lead, 'positive charge' will be flowing from the 100VDC point to the ground point (or more accurately *would* if there were an adequately conducting pathway).

I did grounding for many years, with copper wire running to a ground rod outside. I would sleep with it between my skin and the bed.

Mainly, I found that it was great in certain homes, and not so great in others. I'm not sure why this is, but having done it in around 6 different places where I lived for a year or more, I can attest that in about half of those it felt very good and in the other half I either did not notice an effect or would wake up after feeling worse.

I think taking baths provides the same positive effect as grounding.

Last edited:
OP
N

NickC

Need to know many things to answer your question correctly:
1) What are you calling 'ground' or 'ground source'?
2) By what method is the 'ground' grounded?
3) What lead is where (what is the positive lead touching, what is the negative lead touching)?
4) On your multimeter, if you flip leads but put them in the exact same place, does the polarity of the VDC reading change?

Remember that due to an ancient convention that is perhaps counter-intuitive, negative charge (electrons) flows from lower potential to higher, while 'positive charge' flows from high potential to lower. So if you put the positive lead on something that measures 100VDC from a 'true ground' on which you have placed your negative lead, 'positive charge' will be flowing from the 100VDC point to the ground point (or more accurately *would* if there were an adequately conducting pathway).

1) Ground is a wrist strap and an antistatic foot mat.
2) Ground is a gas pipe which goes deep into the ground. This is also connected to a water pipe, to the electrical sockets earth and to the incomming earth (outer sheath) on the supply lead.
3) Positive lead goes to a clip on a finger, negative goes to the common ground.
4) yes if flip leads then reads +120mV instead.

x-ray peat

I did grounding for many years, with copper wire running to a ground rod outside. I would sleep with it between my skin and the bed.

Mainly, I found that it was great in certain homes, and not so great in others. I'm not sure why this is, but having done it in around 6 different places where I lived for a year or more, I can attest that in about half of those it felt very good and in the other half I either did not notice an effect or would wake up after feeling worse.

I think taking baths provides the same positive effect as grounding.
That's fairly consistent with what I've read about it. The way I understand it is indoor grounding works well when there is little emf/dirty electricity in the house and when the ground is free of stray electricity. It doesn't work well when the home is loaded with AC currents and wifi. Here grounding your body will just turn you into an antennae. I think the best way to do grounding is to walk outside barefoot away from any electrical sources. Not easy to do in the city/suburbs.

Last edited: