Grounding Aka Earthing

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
So, I been coming across this grounding thing recently about grounding yourself to the earth for better sleep, etc. anyone doing this? I kinda feel like there might be something to it, but I havent been able to try it yet.

Gregory Taper

I read the book(Earthing), and actually bought one of the grounding sleeping pad a while ago. I don't really use the pad anymore, but I always walk outside barefoot whenever I can. I hug a lot of trees too.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hug trees!!! :lol: So I guess the sleeping pad didnt really work then?

Gregory Taper

I do not know if it worked or didn't work, but that was when I was big into David Wolfe, and I am not so much a fan of that fairy tale stuff anymore.. But i agree with connecting to the earth as much as you can.

stevensmith

I think that the thyroid plays a more important part in sleep than any of that. Traditional cultures used many things to make beds, including beds of leaves, cotton, etc... I think that there is a lot of truth in isolating oneself from industrialization, which includes getting away from cell towers, etc, which have "electroradiation" that can possibly interfere with sleep and mitochondrial respiration. I have definitely seen the benefits of sleep/libido from hiking and sleeping in the mountains, and being far away from cell towers, but that probably had a lot to do with altitude as well.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have the most horrible time shutting down at night, my mind races and I can feel that I am tense. Once I go to sleep though, it seems like I get a pretty decent sleep. But man, it takes a while sometimes for me to pass out. That is stressful in itself. :(

Gregory Taper

I make sure to unplug and turn off all power cords and devices in my room when getting ready to go to bed. I noticed a difference in quality of sleep even if just a little difference, it is worth it, IMO.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hmm, I am going to give that a shot GT.

Rem

Hi all there
Some ideas/questions about grounding : what would be the electric potential of the feet in comparison with the ground ? What would be the direction of the flow of electrons ? Since it seems that removing an excess of electrons is an effect of oxidative metabolism - and that this excess lead to free radical damage and muscle contractions - I would think that grounding is beneficial as far as we can get rid of electrons ? However, reading some "alternative holistic thinking", it is said that electrons flow towards the body (what is thought to be good). Galvani would have found that a copper wire linking a muscle to water allow to stop cramps, but I don't get the science behind that (direction of the flow ? electric potential of water ?)
Eventually, I have read that yogis recommend to practice isolated from the ground. Personally, I find earthing great at a sensitive level, but have not found it is calming... rather the contrary to be honest. So, all told, I think that grounding should be studied thoroughly and reactions monitored without bias.

nwo2012

Yes it works!
We find it most effective at the beach and we go there at least once every week. Regardless of the weather, we walk bare foot for at least 30 minutes. Sometimes it actually makes us feel high (in fact often).

nwo2012

GT said:
I make sure to unplug and turn off all power cords and devices in my room when getting ready to go to bed. I noticed a difference in quality of sleep even if just a little difference, it is worth it, IMO.

Yes we always do same. Nevermind sleep, your body needs any break it can get from all this electrical 'noise'.

Rachel

Charlie said:
So, I been coming across this grounding thing recently about grounding yourself to the earth for better sleep, etc. anyone doing this? I kinda feel like there might be something to it, but I havent been able to try it yet.
I just ordered a mat. Well, two, actually. earthing.com has a buy one get one free deal right now.
Here's Clint Ober demonstrating Earthing. Nothing "woo-woo" here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OhYOsvJ ... 0E97B601F3

Rachel

nwo2012 said:
GT said:

Yes we always do same. Nevermind sleep, your body needs any break it can get from all this electrical 'noise'.
That's a good idea. However, if you are sleeping like most people do, you are still being exposed to plenty o' 'electrical noise' via the energized electrical wires in the wall. Sufferin' succotash! Move your bed away from the walls to lessen your exposure.

The human body may be most chronically exposed to and electrified by 60-Hz electric fields when in bed (Coghill,
1996). (During a 6–10-hour period, a person’s body is within inches of energized electrical wires in the wall at the head
of the bed and energized electrical cords and appliances near the bed.)
I just posted an abstract of a study on grounding/earthing - with a link to the full study - here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=838

I got my Earthing mat a few hours ago and will be sleeping on it tonight.
:kisscheek, Mr. FedEx Man!

kiran

Do let us know how that works for ya Rachel. I thought about getting a grounding wriststrap, but decided to wait for a review or two.

Ray-Z

Rachel said:
I got my Earthing mat a few hours ago and will be sleeping on it tonight.
:kisscheek, Mr. FedEx Man!

:lol:

I'd also be curious to hear how this experiment is turning out...

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Rachel, we need updates! :ugeek:

Rachel

Well... Kiran, Ray-Z, and Charlie...

I've been using the mat on my chair during the day and I move it to the bed at night.
And let me tell you...
the first time I laid down on it to go to sleep...
the heavens opened up...
and an angel came down...
and...
Oh, wait. That didn't happen.
Seriously, though, I HAVE noticed that I fall asleep much easier. So, :dance

Removing that excess electrical charge from my body = good.

p.s. I think I've exceeded the RDA for ellipses...

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hey dont mess with me like that! :lol: JK

I could really use the go to sleep easier part. Almost about ready to pull the trigger on one of these grounding deals if I can find a good price.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Rachel, thank you. I will go check them out later tonight. I really need to get myself grounded. :ugeek: