Greetings

ubiety

Hey All,

I've been lurking in the forums for a few weeks now and thought it's time to get more involved. I'm early 50's and have been dealing with more issues over the past 10 years or so - anxiety, blepharitis/dry eye, some BPH, ED, etc. I try to keep myself in reasonably fit - exercise regularly, manage my weight pretty well, and thought I was eating well - until I came upon this forum and started reading Ray Peat's stuff.

Since last summer, I have developed a major case of low blood sugar - including reactive hypoglycemia after almost every meal. With that came some pretty weird constant empty stomach feelings, even right after a meal. I've had every test most can probably think of, but the Doctors had no answers.

After a bit of research, it seemed like one of my problems might be Candida, so I bought a supplement to help and when I added some Niacinamide, I experienced major die-off symptoms. Almost immediately after, the weird stomach feelings went away and had noticeable improvements with some reduced anxiety and dry eye.

I also started on some Peat stuff - increasing my intake of milk, OJ, sugar, salt, caffeine, carrot daily, potatoes, reducing PUFAs, etc. I still have a ways to go - hard to give up the muscle meats and all PUFAs and carbs. I've added niacinamide, Taurine, caffeine pills, and am taking Vitamins A,E,K2, D, B1 and eliminated almost all other supplements.

I'm also using a number of Haidut's supplements, with some very interesting results. I'll begin posting those soon.

Thanks to all the contributors and Mods for this great forum!

Footscray

G'day Ubiety, I am slightly younger than you and have similar issues that I'm working through. I don't post much as I haven't got over things yet and it would be just speculation or spewing forth someone else's knowledge. But I have been trying to work out Rays ideas for a few years now.
As for low blood sugar, I've found whenever I've increased my metabolism in any way or had any sort of food or supplements that would do so, I MUST eat heaps of food before. Eg never have coffeee or an empty stomach or alone or even in the morning! Coffee after lunch works best for low blood sugar because I've already eaten 2 1/2 meals already. Eat a lot of food to help heal, with the rise in metabolism. Welcome and good luck.

Marg

Welcome.

I also have just started the niacinamide at 500 mg. What is your dose and are you finding any positive or negative effects?

OP
U

ubiety

Thanks for the reply Footscray, I am experiencing similar re: need to increase my food intake as metabolism increases due to more Peat diet, and it seems many of the important supplements also lower blood sugar - niacinamide, coffee, etc. Hopefully the increase in metabolism will balance out the increased food intake so I don't gain too many pounds.

OP
U

ubiety

Hi Marg, I attribute my candida die off mostly to niacinamide as I was taking a supplement that was supposed to handle the candida, but after a week nothing until I also took 1 - 500mg nacinamide and the next day had the major die off symptoms and felt better after that. I'm still experimenting with 1 - 500mg niacinamide a day and so far the biggest effect I've found is that I can increase my caffeine intake a lot without any jitters. This effect of niacinamide is mentioned in another thread, by Haidut I think. The downside of niacinamide for me is it lowers blood sugar so I need to have some OJ with it.