Greetings!

SiberHusky

Long time lurker, first time poster. I apologize in advance for the novel. I don't generally post much in forums, but when I do, I put people to sleep. lol I have learned soo much over the last week browsing this forum. I come from a background of Paleo/VLC with a weight loss of 78 pounds, out of which I have regained 14 over the last few years (started in 2010, reached lowest weight in 2013, been on and off since, till now). I am currently about 20-30 pounds over what I would like to be, if my goal was 15% body fat (female, mid 30's). I don't get results nowadays unless I am strict about counting calories, and that just doesn't feel right to me anymore. I initially found Peat's work years ago because of hormones -estrogen dominance (mine were never right), but I am finally ready to embrace his dietary suggestions as well. I resisted the "Peat diet" for a long time, precisely because of the health problems that prevent me from thriving in life.

1. I seem unable to digest certain common fruits like peaches, apples and watermelon (FODMAPS). I get immediate digestive upset (comes right out) and sustained consumption over a few days leads to diverticulitis flares (it last happened to me after enjoying large servings of just watermelon over 3 days during the summer of 2015).

2. My body does not feel good on starches at all (i.e. starch as alternate source of sugar for me is a no go). Starches are my gateway drug if I could call them that lol -my most favorite carbs-, but I'm bloated, thirsty and constipated whenever I eat them (rice, potatoes, wheat). Corn is not as bad, but my satiety signal does not really work when I eat any of these starches. I just want to keep on eating till there's no room left in my body.

3. I seem to suffer from interstitial cystitis (IC) on and off since 2006. Stress is the largest contributor, followed by obvious things like coffee and alcohol. With this condition, I am supposed to avoid acidic foods like oranges.

Between these three issues, I really didn't think I could follow Peat's dietary guidelines without literally killing myself with gut infections or excruciating urinary pain. By some miraculous revelations, I discovered that what I thought were UTI's before are in fact not UTI's, but merely an inflammatory response to stress (mostly). For a short while, I successfully managed the condition with small doses of benzos (when muscle spasms became obvious, I put 1 and 2 together), but since I had a limited number of those on hand, I figured I had to find another way. IC also seemed to flare more following my monthly hormonal cycles, and since I had read that progesterone has anti-inflammatory properties, in desperation, I ingested large doses of it during my last IC flare, about a month ago. I had not tried progesterone before.

I have never been addicted to anything other than food in my life, but the feeling of peace and euphoria progesterone gave me that day felt incredibly addictive (to me)!!!! I literally looked forward to the time of day when I took it lol. What bliss! I only had pills on hand, so I was taking a lot more than needed, but when you're desperate, you do what you can with what you have. I am now making my own topical with coconut oil and the contents of the pills I have, because funds are low and I can't acquire more supplies like vit E - have no fears, my academic education was in science, so subsequent doses are well known. I am happy to say that IC symptoms went away after 3 days of progesterone. My period started a day later and after the first three days of the new cycle (without progesterone supplementation), I felt the IC irritation return. Although progesterone should ideally only be used during the second half of the cycle, I was desperate again, and applied the topical twice a day to my abdomen. Placebo or not, my symptoms went away and have not returned since. I probably messed my cycle up, but I don't care, because the pain was simply unbearable.

I am hoping that progesterone continues to be the "miracle pill" I have been looking for. :) I've known since 2006 that my luteal phase was abnormal (9 to 12 days long at most, mostly 9 though), and I've suffered from fun things like PMS and overly bloody periods all my life, but I didn't THINK to do anything about any of it. I thought changing my diet and losing weight would help. My cycles did indeed get closer to the mythical 28 with low carb, (they were over 35 and up to 60 days sometimes most of my adult life), but they remained just as... annoying as before. Difficulties losing weight, dry skin, depression, always feeling cold, losing mass quantities of hair, inability to focus and retain information have been my reality for the last decade or more. Now that I know my health issues are due to stress / inflammation / inappropriate diet, I can sit down and plan my diet (way of eating) accordingly. I compared the FODMAPS food lists to Peat approved fruit, and oranges/mango/papaya should suit me fine, provided IC remains quiet with progesterone supplementation. Really hoping the diverticulitis doesn't return either, since I'm going with fruits higher in fructose (pectin and polyols are what I suspect did me in before)

Yesterday was my first day experimenting with fruit,OJ and dairy. I followed some of natedawggh's suggestions in preparing my "meals" such as warming up the milk, adding gelatin and taking B vitamin and lysine to promote better metabolic responses. My pulse actually went up by about 6 points after I ate!! My temp was 98.6!!!! :O :O :O I don't know if I've EVER seen that temp in me before since I started charting my cycles (other than having a fever of course). My usual daily temp is around 97.2-4. Granted, I should be in my luteal phase now, but even so, my highest luteal temps in the past tended to be around 97.9. I did not feel bloated or overly thirsty during the day (as I would after starches), despite drinking many glasses of sweet OJ with my servings of milk and cottage cheese.

My experiment was a success until my partner showed up at home with pastries from work (PUFA overload). :P I told him he is banned from bringing more in the future. I am however impressed with how I felt during the day when I was "good", and I will continue to eat Peaty from now on. I am not too fixated on weight loss at the moment, because I'd rather see my hair grow back and stop being sick and cold first. My hair is actually (miraculously) returning since I abandoned a stressful project last September, but I would like to help it more along the way. I do not have the funds to supplement with more advanced stuff like taurine, casein powder, specific vitamins, etc. I have a multi-vitamin with B's, lysine, progesterone and T3/T4 thyroid natural supp on hand. Going to get what I can through my food for now. I am already drooling in my mind as I picture the nice mushroom and shrimp soup I plan to cook in the near future lol. I am also interested in tweaking my raw fed dogs to a more Peaty approach because my gut tells me they are not quite eating optimally either. I am more of a lurker than a poster so I might not post much, but in case I start participating more, I figured I should at least introduce myself here for now.

HLP

Welcome. 15% body fat for a female is way too low. You need to have some reserve body fat to be healthy and just in case you get really sick. I've been there at the extremely low end of body fat and I was constantly exhausted and cold. I find doing some weight training helps me to feel good about carrying a bit of extra body fat. At least I feel firm and strong. As for the UTI situation, D-Mannose works wonders and I wouldn't use anything else. Try the carrot salad daily to heal your gut issues.

OP
S

SiberHusky

Thank you, appreciate the response! I haven't felt good enough to workout through all this process. I have limited energy and focus to do basic chores every day, but I hope this will change soon. I would love a firm and strong body eventually! I remember when I was a kid, I would sprint around for no reason when I was outside because I felt like I was bursting with energy. I have no idea how low in fat I really want to go. I work as an entertainer and there's this motivation to adhere to some acceptable "beauty standards". It's probably just a fix in my head. lol As for D-Mannose, I lived by it originally, but noticed that it no longer did anything for me back in 2012. Since my latest flares (fall past year) completely resolved with muscle relaxants/anxiety meds, I concluded I was not dealing with a bacterial infection. My dogs and I enjoy our servings of carrot salad in the evening so far. :)

Lilac

Hello, SiberHusky!

Last summer, my 86-year-old mother was eating a lot of fresh peaches and saw a return of her winter-sickness symptoms. Ray Peat, right again! Peaches really are goitrogenic. Try to observe reactions as closely as possible. They can be hard to detect, especially if you are not paying attention.

Good luck!

OP
S

SiberHusky

Thank you Lilac (that's my mom's favorite flower)! I had no idea about peaches being goitrogenic. I love them, but my body doesn't. Ate a lot of them as a child. Is there a place where I could read more about Peat's findings on the properties of various foods we eat? I have been trying hard to figure out what agrees and doesn't with me over time. I feel like I've ended up with a rather short list of stuff that's acceptable for now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals