Green Tea

jaketthomas

I've never been a huge coffee fan. Always loved the taste of Green Tea though.

What's the deal with Green Tea? I see that a lot of Peat people say to avoid it, because it contains a trace amount of Flouride. However, I have seen a number of studies that suggests Green Tea lowers estrogen in the body.

Anyone have more insight on this? I don't want to give up my Green Tea, but if I have to, I have to.

jyb

RP wrote about it, claims the benefit of tea has more to do with caffeine than its other green antioxidants. And that it's estrogenic, so it contradicts what you mention.

I think tea might reduce absorption of certain nutrients, possibly good ones if you take it with a meal.

Although it has caffeine which is good, I already drink enough water (OJ, milk) and coffee is a better source of it.

I don't know about black tea.

OP
jaketthomas

jaketthomas

See, I have read lots of conflicting information about estrogen and Green Tea. I have read from a number of credible sources, that Green Tea is excellent at eliminating excess estrogen from the body. In fact, the ONLY information I can find that say Green Tea raises estrogen, is related to Ray Peat, as a source of information. Virtually every study I come across claims reduction in estrogen levels.

OP
jaketthomas

jaketthomas

Check that, I have found a couple of studies suggesting estrogen may elevate with Green Tea. However, the majority (I'd say 80% or higher) suggest Green Tea lowers estrogen. Would love to see Ray Peat elaborate on this. I read what he had to say about tea, but it was brief, and didn't go into much detail, like he usually does about things.

OP
jaketthomas

jaketthomas

Yes, jyb. I found the same exact study! 13% reduction in estrogen is pretty significant.

I can double bag or even triple bag of cup of Green Tea and I don't get anxious from the caffeine. Yet a moderate cup of coffee sends me into orbit, despite sugaring the hell out of it. Coconut oil with the coffee helps reduce the jitters somewhat, but I still don't like the effect. Green Tea's caffeine gives me a nice, steady, smooth boost. But, if it actually does increase estrogen, as Ray Peat suggests, I'll just drink Mexican Coke for my caffeine.

pboy

just from personal experience, green tea doesn't seem to increase metabolism as much as coffee but still does a little bit
It definitely does not decrease it.
Since its weaker than coffee, its better to make it really strong/concentrated...like drink it almost as shots rather than a large drink or you may slow metabolism
by nature of getting water logged
Or what I like also is use the alcohol extract of green tea and add it to fruit juice or other stuff

Not sure if Peat has mentioned anything about it...but the L-Theanine in Green tea also seems to help me cope with stress, which by nature
less stress = better metabolism.
My recommendation would be lean towards coffee, add in green tea a little less and more spaced out, take it in concentrated forms, then
fidget with it to your liking

OP
jaketthomas

jaketthomas

Yeah, pboy, I always double bag my Green Tea. I've even triple bagged it before, with good results. I also have Ceremonial Grade Matcha Green Tea Powder, and I can throw any amount I'd like into a cup. If there were more clarification about the negative effects of it on estrogen, thyroid, and metabolism, I would definitely stop using it. I'm not hooked on the stuff or anything. I just love the taste.

jyb

jaketthomas said:
Yes, jyb. I found the same exact study! 13% reduction in estrogen is pretty significant.

I can double bag or even triple bag of cup of Green Tea and I don't get anxious from the caffeine. Yet a moderate cup of coffee sends me into orbit, despite sugaring the hell out of it. Coconut oil with the coffee helps reduce the jitters somewhat, but I still don't like the effect. Green Tea's caffeine gives me a nice, steady, smooth boost. But, if it actually does increase estrogen, as Ray Peat suggests, I'll just drink Mexican Coke for my caffeine.

You shouldn't get anxious on coffee.

I used to be very very sensitive to caffeine and high/anxious on coffee before Peating, when I took coffee on empty stomachs. Have you tried to take coffee at the end of a decent meal? Milk, sugar, coconut oil or cheese. The effects should only be subtle.

Before Peat I was a hardcore anxious and insomniac person. But now, I can drink coffee just before bed as long as its with a proper meal. Maybe another factor is that I now use high quality coffee? You might want to experiment with that variable too.

Keep in mind also that another advantage of coffee is that it contains vitamins, esp drip coffee.

OP
jaketthomas

jaketthomas

I only consume the highest quality everything. I drink shade grown, organic coffee. Drinking non-organic coffee is estrogenic, because it contains pesticides, which are extremely estrogenic. I can drink soda or Green Tea with the same caffeine content, and be totally fine. The worst offender for the anxiety from coffee is Dunkin' Donuts. I suppose, since it's extremely high in pesticides.

My organic, shade grown coffee isn't nearly as offensive, but I'm still not the biggest fan. I'm sure my body will adjust accordingly. I don't want to stray from the answers that I'm looking for, as far as Green Tea is concerned. I hope someone on this forum has some strong info to pass my way.

Dean

If it's not the pesticides from the coffee, since you're drinking shade-grown, organic, perhaps it is the mycotoxins? That seems to be a another theory going around as to why people can tolerate other sources of caffeine, but not coffee. Then again, mycotoxins I'd guess would be an issue in tea as well and if you have no trouble with tea...

jyb

Yes, with regards to mycotoxins, organic coffee doesn't guarantee anything. It can be opposite, with some pricier coffees which has been sun dried contains more. See if you get the reaction with some quality coffee grown at high altitude (mostly central america) and not sun dried, and grind the beans yourself. (The bulletproofexec paleo guy talks a lot about this and his unusual sensitivity to mycotoxins - I don't know if it has a basis though).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jaketthomas said:
I only consume the highest quality everything. I drink shade grown, organic coffee. Drinking non-organic coffee is estrogenic, because it contains pesticides, which are extremely estrogenic. I can drink soda or Green Tea with the same caffeine content, and be totally fine. The worst offender for the anxiety from coffee is Dunkin' Donuts. I suppose, since it's extremely high in pesticides.

My organic, shade grown coffee isn't nearly as offensive, but I'm still not the biggest fan. I'm sure my body will adjust accordingly. I don't want to stray from the answers that I'm looking for, as far as Green Tea is concerned. I hope someone on this forum has some strong info to pass my way.

What brand coffee do you use?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Cool thanks!

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Jaketthomas! :welcome