Green tea reduces estrogen

4peatssake

“Japanese women’s relative freedom from breast cancer is independent of soy products: traditional soy foods aren’t the same as those so widely used in the US, for example, soy sauce doesn’t contain the so-called soy estrogens, and tea is used much more commonly in Japan than in the US, and contains health protective ingredients. The “estrogenic” and “antioxidant” polyphenolic compounds of tea are not the protective agents (they raise the level of estrogen), but tea’s caffeine is a very powerful and general anti-cancer protectant. The influential article in Lancet (D. Ingram, Lancet 1997;350:990-994. “Phytoestrogens and their role in breast cancer,” Breast NEWS: Newsletter of the NHMRC National Breast Cancer Centre, Vol. 3, No. 2, Winter 1997) used a method known to produce false results, namely, comparing the phytoestrogens (found in large amounts in soybeans) in the urine of women with or without breast cancer. For over fifty years, it has been known that the liver excretes estrogens and other toxins from the body, and that when (because of liver inertia) estrogen isn’t excreted by the liver and kidneys, it is retained in the body. This process was observed in both animals and humans decades ago, and it is also well established that estrogen itself suppresses the detoxifying systems, causing fewer carcinogens to be excreted in the urine. Ingram’s evidence logically would suggest that the women who have cancer are failing to eliminate estrogens, including phytoestrogens, at a normal rate, and so are retaining a higher percentage of the chemicals consumed in their diets. Flavonoids and polyphenols, like our own estrogens, suppress the detoxifying systems of the body.“ -Ray Peat, PhD

He follows the above statement with this study.

J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 1998 Feb;64(3-4):207-15,
Effects of tea polyphenols and flavonoids on liver microsomal glucuronidation of estradiol and estrone.
Zhu BT, Taneja N, Loder DP, Balentine DA, Conney AH
Administration of 0.5 or 1% lyophilized green tea (5 or 10 mg tea solids per ml, respectively) as the sole source of drinking fluid to female Long-Evans rats for 18 days stimulated liver microsomal glucuronidation of estrone, estradiol and 4-nitrophenol by 30-37%, 15-27% and 26-60%, respectively. Oral administration of 0.5% lyophilized green tea to female CD-1 mice for 18 days stimulated liver microsomal glucuronidation of estrone, estradiol and 4-nitrophenol by 33-37%, 12-22% and 172-191%, respectively. The in vitro addition of a green tea polyphenol mixture, a black tea polyphenol mixture or (-)-epigallocatechin gallate inhibited rat liver microsomal glucuronidation of estrone and estradiol in a concentration-dependent manner and their IC50 values for inhibition of estrogen metabolism were approximately 12.5, 50 and 10 microg/ml, respectively. Enzyme kinetic analysis indicates that the inhibition of estrone glucuronidation by 10 microM (-)-epigallocatechin gallate was competitive while inhibition by 50 microM (-)-epigallocatechin gallate was noncompetitive. Similarly, several flavonoids (naringenin, hesperetin, kaempferol, quercetin, rutin, flavone, alpha-naphthoflavone and beta-naphthoflavone) also inhibited rat liver microsomal glucuronidation of estrone and estradiol to varying degrees. Naringenin and hesperetin displayed the strongest inhibitory effects (IC50 value of approximately 25 microM). These two hydroxylated flavonoids had a competitive mechanism of enzyme inhibition for estrone glucuronidation at a 10 microM inhibitor concentration and a predominantly noncompetitive mechanism of inhibition at a 50 microM inhibitor concentration.
Source: Green Tea and Estrogen

burtlancast

4peatssake said:
The “estrogenic” and “antioxidant” polyphenolic compounds of tea are not the protective agents (they raise the level of estrogen), but tea’s caffeine is a very powerful and general anti-cancer protectant.

Well, that got my Max Gerson bells ringing full speed here....
Gerson has used coffee enemas to support liver's detoxifying enzymes (glutathione S-transferase) for all his cancer patients

The scientific Basis of Coffee Enemas
Doctors at the University of Minnesota showed that coffee administered rectally also stimulates an enzyme
system in the liver called glutathione S-transferase by 600%-700% above normal activity levels. This enzyme reacts
with free radicals (which cause cell damage) in the bloodstream and makes them inert. These neutralized
substances become dissolved in the bile, are released through the bile flow from the liver and gallbladder, and are
excreted through the intestinal tract. A Gerson patient holds the coffee enema in the colon for 12-15 minutes.
During this time, the body’s entire blood supply passes through the liver 4-5 times, carrying poisons picked up
from the tissues. So the enema acts as a form of dialysis of the blood across the gut wal
http://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 4564,d.Yms

Here's what they say about glutathione S-transferase and oestrogen detox:
Elimination of Estrogens: A Two-Stage Process

Detoxification of circulating estrogens happens primarily in the liver and is a two-stage process. The first stage, called Phase I detoxification, involves an enzyme family called the cytochrome p450 enzymes. Phase I creates three potential intermediate estrogen metabolites: 2-hydroxyestrone, 4-hydroxyestrone and 16-alpha-hydroxyestrone. Of these three, 2-hydroxyestrone is the safest form and believed to offer protection against cancer and other estrogen excess-related conditions.5. Both the 4- and 16-hydroxyestrone molecules, however, can cause estrogen-related problems in the body.6.

In Phase II, the second stage of estrogen detoxification, the enzymes COMT (catechol O-methyltransferase) and GST (glutathione S-transferase) add a compound to the hydroxyestrone molecule (COMT adds a methyl group and GST adds glutathione). These added compounds make hydroxyestrone water-soluble, so they can be more easily removed from the body.7. Estrogen can also skip Phase I and be directly processed in Phase II by two other pathways, called glucuronidation and sulfation. Phase II detoxification binds estrogen to compounds that allow it to be swept out of the liver in the bile or excreted in the urine.
http://www.nhiondemand.com/expertspersp ... .aspx?id=6

M Scott

Burtlancast-

Any reason not to have em' just drink the coffee? The same researcher from the University of Minnesota mentioned in your comment have also shown oral consumption of coffee and related extracts increases glutathione S-transferase activity:

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/conte ... 3.full.pdf

I'd curious if putting it in yer butt was really any better.

burtlancast

M Scott said:
Burtlancast-

Any reason not to have em' just drink the coffee? The same researcher from the University of Minnesota mentioned in your comment have also shown oral consumption of coffee and related extracts increases glutathione S-transferase activity:

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/conte ... 3.full.pdf

I'd curious if putting it in yer butt was really any better.

Interesting.

But, according to your article, the degree of activation for ingested coffee seems to be a small fraction of the activation obtained by enemas.

Cancer patients have all a very toxic liver, which can be helped only by coffee enemas; they dilate and flush out the bile ducts in the liver, making it less toxic, and prevent reabsorbtion of the bile and it's toxic products in the lower intestines.

4peatssake

[COFFEE ENEMAS - "He takes one or two cups of filter coffee and uses it as an enema (holding it in for 15-20 minutes)."] Coffee in such small amounts probably is more effective for protecting against bowel cancer and liver disease when it's used by enema, rather than orally, but I think the general effects might be better when it's drunk.
Peat Exchanges

burtlancast

4peatssake said:
[COFFEE ENEMAS - "He takes one or two cups of filter coffee and uses it as an enema (holding it in for 15-20 minutes)."] Coffee in such small amounts probably is more effective for protecting against bowel cancer and liver disease when it's used by enema, rather than orally, but I think the general effects might be better when it's drunk.
Peat Exchanges

Ray has experimental knowledge from scientific articles, yet there's no clinical trial of the full Gerson therapy for cancer patients.
When you have cancer, drinking coffee won't be able to detox the liver the way enemas do.
And if you don't help the liver to detox the blood, the patient will die of liver failure while their body has vanquished and digested the cancer through the general circulation.

I'm aware there has been some trial including coffee enemas for cancer pain, with good results, but it has been buried/hushed/dismissed by the establishment in an instant.

And, according to Charlotte Gerson, coffee enemas can be used for a lot of things, even if one hasn't got cancer; they can arrest a migraine in a matter of minutes, and have a detoxyfying effect on the blood and liver.

4peatssake

burtlancast said:
I'm aware there has been some trial including coffee enemas for cancer pain, with good results, but it has been buried/hushed/dismissed by the establishment in an instant.
Have you heard of Dr. Nicholas Gonzalez? He has a cancer protocol that uses coffee enemas.

The Gonzalez regimen combines prescribed diets, nutritional supplements, coffee enemas, and pancreatic enzymes in a cancer management program. The regimen is intended to detoxify the body, correct nervous system imbalances that might lead to impaired general health, and support natural immune processes. The pancreatic enzymes are thought to be the specific anticancer component of the Gonzalez program.[1-3]

Two major concepts underlie use of the Gonzalez regimen in cancer treatment. The first concept is that the pancreas, like the liver, is an organ that performs a detoxification function and that pancreatic enzymes help the body eliminate toxins and help normal cells repair damaged cells.[2] The second concept is that cancer and most other human illness are related to physiological imbalances created by environmental toxins either consumed in food or contacted in the environment...

Coffee enemas are also included as part of the detoxification process. The enemas are administered twice daily.[3] The use of coffee enemas is based on a belief that coffee introduced into the lower intestinal tract will improve liver function and stimulate emptying of the gallbladder, thereby enhancing the elimination of toxins and waste products from the body.
Gonzalez Protocol Description at the National Cancer Institue

I thought this was an interesting comment about coffee enemas under "Adverse Effects." ;)

The cases found in the literature on coffee enema are not adequate to support an adverse effect from coffee enemas alone. There are rare reports of adverse events unrelated to the coffee enemas in patients receiving them. It should be remembered that clinically significant changes in blood chemistries can occur with excessive use of enemas of any kind.
Adverse Effects

BTW, I wouldn't do any serious research on cancer protocols at the National Cancer Institute but find it curious to see some of the "alternative" protocols listed there and how they are presented.

A much more interesting resource for "alternative" cancer treatments is Cancer Tutor

burtlancast

4peatssake said:
Have you heard of Dr. Nicholas Gonzalez? He has a cancer protocol that uses coffee enemas.

The Gerson therapy has been "borrowed" and "modified" by a lot of alternative therapies.
Gonzalez is just one example of them.
And i'm not sure i trust the guy.

But coffee enemas weren't invented by Gerson; he read in the medicakl litterature it was used in the first world war to alleviate pain when medications were in shortage.

It has actually been listed in the Merck manual since that time, and removed in 1972 for "allegedly" shortage of space !

Coffee enema was a medically accepted procedure listed in the Merck Manual of medical practices until 1973, when it was removed for political reasons (as in - 'this therapy is so powerful and effective, it just might cause the 'big guys' to lose money). Also called caffeine dialysis, this therapy is one of the first treatments given to so-called 'terminal' cancer patients and other extremely ill people when they arrive at a Gerson Cancer Treatment clinic.
http://www.peak-health-now.com/coffee-e ... tions.html

In 1920, German scientists investigated caffeine's effect on the bile duct and small intestines. Max Gerson proposed that coffee enemas had a positive effect on the gastro-intestinal tract. Gerson said that coffee enemas had positive effects on patients with tuberculosis, and later even those with cancer. He claimed that unlike saline enemas, the caffeine traveled through the smooth muscle of the small intestine, and into the liver. This, he said, cleared even more of the gastro-intestinal tract and removed more toxins and bile than a normal enema. He told his patients often that the "coffee enemas are not given for the function of the intestines but for the stimulation of the liver."[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_enema

4peatssake

burtlancast said:
The Gerson therapy has been "borrowed" and "modified" by a lot of alternative therapies.
Gonzalez is just one example of them.
And i'm not sure i trust the guy.
Me neither. Just aware of his use of coffee enemas in his treatment.

As for coffee enemas, I'd definitely use them given a need.

Mittir

In Ayurveda, oil enema/vasti is used to administer medicated oil.
It is lot like coffee enema, main difference is the use of oil.
They believe that poor digestion is the source of all health issues
and enema is a safer way to give the medicine. They use this particularly
for Vata ( Air type) people who are dry in nature.
I believe they do not like the idea of watery enema.
It seems like a logical decision. They also use body massage to
infuse medicated oil, that is a form of transdermal medication.

M Scott

burtlancast said:
Interesting.

But, according to your article, the degree of activation for ingested coffee seems to be a small fraction of the activation obtained by enemas.

Actually, there isn't any evidence I've seen that enema coffee is better. That 600-700% increase in GSH S-transferase from your reference doesn't even seem to have come from a study on enema coffee, but coffee in the diet of the animals being studied.

Drinking coffee for the win!

burtlancast

Actually, researchers found that in order to get the equivalent detox effect of one coffee enema, one needs to drink 1 liter of coffee:

In 1981, Dr. Wattenberg and his colleagues, Sparrins and Lam, at the University of Minnesota, were able to show that palmitic acids found in coffee, kahweol and cafestol palmitate, also stimulate an enzyme system in the liver (glutathione S-transferase) above the norm. This enzyme system is responsible for removing electrophiles from the bloodstream (free radicals). The liver’s ability to remove these free radicals is increased by 600%-700% over normal levels.

To get the same effects by drinking coffee, one would have to drink about a liter at once—so much that the side effects would far outweigh the benefits.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... fr&ct=clnk

Considering that cancer people need 4, or even 6 coffee enemas a day, that would be brutal...

OP
L

lexis

"I enjoyed reading this thread and all replies to it. I have been doing research on effect of regular consumption of green drink and green tea. I find this forum very useful in my research. Thanks for posting."

Classic SEO technique to build links eh?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
lexis said:
"I enjoyed reading this thread and all replies to it. I have been doing research on effect of regular consumption of green drink and green tea. I find this forum very useful in my research. Thanks for posting."

Classic SEO technique to build links eh?
If anyone suspects spam. Please click on the exclamation point (!) to report the post and mark it as spam. When a moderator signs on, we can check for reported posts and handle those first. :hattip