Greek Yogurt?? Confused.

ChrisRay

Hi Everyone, first post.
I have searched and found a lot of conflicting messages about Greek Yogurt (strained).
Is Greek Yogurt (ie. Wallaby brand) fine? Would like to have 1-2cups as part of breakfast meal.
Do I get 2% or Whole?
I know Peat says "no" to regular yogurt, but haven't heard a clear message about Greek Yogurt (strained).

Thanks Everyone.....

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It seems like some people tolerate it and some don't so you should probably just experiment. I would choose the fat content based on your preference and goals.

mt_dreams

The whey that drains off during the greek process contains most of the lactic acid. So in that regards, greek is better than regular yogurt, assuming you don't have a problem digesting casein which is the protein in greek yogurt.

OP
C

ChrisRay

Yes, thanks guys.

Wish Ray would have a specific recommendation on it? If anyone knows, please let me know.

tara

:welcome ChrisRay

As Blossom said, depends what you are trying to do. Peat tends to recommend lower fat dairy if you have a lot of fat and don't want to add more.
As mt says, a lot of the lactic acid is drained away. But it still has some. So it depends on how much lactic acid is a problem in your system.
I think Peat generally favours milk and cheese over any yogurt.
But you can get more protein density with strained yogurt than with milk, and if you like it that's a bonus too.
I agree with Blossom - try it and see what it does for you.

OP
C

ChrisRay

Thanks for more clarity Tara, much appreciated. Bought some organic Milk from NJ too, looks yummy.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think the added cultures can be a problem for some.

Dan W

I do well with Fage 0% fat, it tastes very low-acid, and the cultures don't seem to cause me any problems.

Here's a relevant quote from Peat:
There are types of yogurt that have much of the acidic whey drained out, that aren't a problem. A spoonful or two of acidic yogurt isn't harmful, but a cupful of the acidic type can be enough to deplete the liver's energy stores, because lactic acid is converted to glucose in the liver, requiring energy. The 'strained' type that isn't acidic is similar to cottage cheese and is safe.

OP
C

ChrisRay

Thanks for even more clarity Dan W. I bought the Whole Milk type. Was a bit confused whether to go 0% or Whole (for the saturated fat) Any thoughts???

tara

ChrisRay said:
Thanks for even more clarity Dan W. I bought the Whole Milk type. Was a bit confused whether to go 0% or Whole (for the saturated fat) Any thoughts???
Are you very round or very lean? If the former, you could go with low fat. If the latter, whole might be better - esp if you have trouble eating enough calories. If neither, take your pick or have some of each?

Dan W

I just use the 0% to minimize fat gain, as Tara alluded to. I don't mean to imply it's superior to the full fat, it's just the one I have experience with.

OP
C

ChrisRay

Ok, was thinking more from a health perspective with the extra Saturated Fat, if it was beneficial in some way? Does the Fat contain more K2, Vitamin D & A?
Thanks Dan and Tara.

Dan W

Yes, I think the full-fat version should be the better source of those vitamins. I just end up having to supplement to get the K/D levels I'd like, with liver taking care of vitamin A.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals