Greek Yoghurt...

DKayJoe

Hi all, yes I know it's not very peaty due to it's bacterial profile but I have a question about Greek Yoghurt...

I've always been told you're not eating real properly prepared Greek Yoghurt unless the protein content is pushing 9 - 10g per 100g of Yoghurt. Up until now I had never actually come across this however my local Tesco stocks this:
Tesco Finest 0% Fat Greek Yoghurt 500G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

This is the only Yoghurt product I have ever found where the protein levels are within that range. I do however have a few questions...looking at the non-strained version here:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=256381115

Protein comes in at about 6.5g? So working under the assumption that they have added protein into the skimmed version in order to bulk it up does anyone have any ideas what this protein might be?

Also I remember reading a post somewhere from Haidut explaining how the bacterial issue in proper Greek Yoghurt isn't so bad due to most of the lactobacillus being drained out, can anyone confirm this? If it is indeed the case this makes me a very happy man considering how favourable Yoghurt is food wise, an easy extra 300odd kcal for me if all is good!

Thanks!

tara

Protein comes in at about 6.5g? So working under the assumption that they have added protein into the skimmed version in order to bulk it up does anyone have any ideas what this protein might be?
I don't know anything specific about that product.
Based on the label saying it contains milk and not mentioning any other ingredients, I'd guess that there are two possible ways to get a protein ratio higher than milk. One is to strain out some of the whey, which has lower protein density. I think that is how Greek yogurt is supposed to be made. The other is to use more milk powder - ie make the milk thicker before culturing it. My guess is this is a cheaper method, and that some products are made this way.

Straining yogurt can remove a significant part of the whey protein and the lactic acid (and the calcium), but don't know that it reduces the bacterial density much?

If it is indeed the case this makes me a very happy man considering how favourable Yoghurt is food wise, an easy extra 300odd kcal for me if all is good!
If it agrees with you, go for it. (Unfortunately, not for me - could be the lactic acid and/or the protein itself.)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals