GREAT FAT LOSS PEATING

andrei

Guys I want to share my experience regarding fat loss Peating.

I am an experienced guy with fat loss. I am 23 years old, at 13% body fat now.I used to lose weight for competitions when I was a teenager. I used to do it when I was an adult too.

My biggest observations: weight loss is mainly about sustaining bearable hunger; and it's not just about the calories. My recent fat loss protocols were based on monotonic diet (potatoes, protein powder, spinach, butter for instance), to reduce the palatability of food. So food is not that appealing, and you eat less. I thought that was the best approach.

Since transitioning to Ray Peat guidelines I slimmed down 7 kg in 5 weeks. Mainly water and fat. Not muscle loss. I want to say there is something good behind it. I was so skeptical that simple sugars could satiate me. But they can. I notice that when I drink milk I have a satiating feeling, without ingesting that much. I think it comes down to filling liver glycogen with fructose and that reduces appetite. I read that liver glycogen stores are the best indicator of appetite.

I also notice that the protein quality matters. Meaning that I get most of protein from milk, cheese and eggs. And I only get around 100 grams. That feels well. Whereas before I thought 150 grams was little. Didn't feel enough. The bio availability is real.

I started cutting on 3000 calories and now I am at 2200 calorie. The hunger is bearable. It is pleasent actually. Light feeling. Just wanted to tell those who want to lose weight. The things about simple sugar rapid absorption, protein digestibility, not much fiber etc. are real. Stay well guys! And let me know if I can help you with advice or feedback!

Luann

Thanks andrei.
Cool results, a lot of Peaters would like to lose a few pounds!

OP
A

andrei

I will say that it's best to understand you hunger. You will have to be slightly hungry. In the beginning, fat drops fast.
As you get to 12-13% you need extra effort to get down. Extra hunger. But bearable.
Below 10% you must suffer.

I estimate my calorie intake. I do not micromanage it. But I listen to my hunger mainly. I try to be slightly hungry after meals.
Do not reduce calories too much. It's unnecessary.

I've tried both fast and slow fat loss protocols. I will stick with slow fat loss in the future.

zztr

That you have to clock up some hours a day being a little bit hungry to lose weight is what really seems to stymie the fatties. They assume there's some magic food combination where they can eat as much and as often as they like and still slim down.

tara

Stay well guys! And let me know if I can help you with advice or feedback!
I think that there are potentially serious health risks associated with restrictive dieting like this esp. while one is still supposed to be growing, up to the age of approx 25 yrs. The body is still supposed to be broadening and strengthening. A typical young man in his early twenties needs something like 3500 cals - there is no doubt some personal variation, but I doubt there are many young men for whom 2200 cals is enough.

[edited to expand this sentence:]The likely consequences include one or more of catabolism or stunted development of important organs to make up the fuel deficit, and/or a reduction in thyroid and reproductive hormones/metabolism, and/or fatigue or depression or insomnia or anxiety or other loss of quality of life. For a small subset of people, such restrictions can set them off onto dangerous (health-damaging, potentially life-threatening) paths such as anorexia that can be very difficult to recover from and have lifelong consequences.

Below 10% you must suffer.
This is encouragement to override the body's own sense of what it needs. You have not said what the purpose of your ''cutting'/weight-loss is - I'm guessing it's about conforming to current fashion/cultural standards of attractiveness? I tend to see this forum as concerned primarily with health, not fashion at the expense of health.

There are quite a few people on this forum and others who seem to be struggling with the ongoing consequences of chronic undereating. It's one of the known ways to down-regulate thyroid metabolism, amongst other things.
(Not to say there might never be special or short term cases where strong restrictions or fasting might be health-supportive tactics, but that's not what we are talking about here.)

I don't think it is responsible to unreservedly encourage young people to follow a path of extreme weight-loss or extended severe calorie restriction for their own sake.

Last edited:

encerent

I think that there are potentially serious health risks associated with restrictive dieting like this esp. while one is still supposed to be growing, up to the age of approx 25 yrs. The body is still supposed to be broadening and strengthening. A typical young man in his early twenties needs something like 3500 cals - there is no doubt some personal variation, but I doubt there are many young men for whom 2200 cals is enough.

The likely consequences are catabolism or stunted development of important organs to make up the fuel deficit, and/or a reduction in thyroid and reproductive hormones/metabolism. FOr a small subset of people, such restrictions can set them off onto dangerous (health-damaging, potentially life-threatening) paths such as anorexia that can be very difficult to recover from and have lifelong consequences.

This is encouragement to override the bodies own sense of what it needs. You have not said what the purpose of your ''cutting'/weight-loss is - I'm guessing it's about conforming to current fashion/cultural standards of attractiveness? I tend to see this forum as concerned primarily with health, not fashion at the expense of health.

There are quite a few people on this forum and others who seem to be struggling with the ongoing consequences of chronic undereating. It's one known of the known ways to down-regulate thyroid metabolism, amongst other things.
(Not to say there might never be special or short term cases where strong restrictions or fasting might be health-supportive tactics, but that's not what we are talking about here.)

I don't think it is responsible to unreservedly encourage young people to follow a path of extreme weight-loss or extended severe calorie restriction for their own sake.

I agree. Hunger is one of our strongest stress signals. Even "bearable" hunger is harmful. And chronic hunger of any kind will lead to metabolic disease.

zztr

Hunger is one of our strongest stress signals.

It is totally normal to get hungry, just like getting sleepy. Be truly hungry for a little bit and then eat to satiety. A big problem fat people have is they reflexive eat before getting properly hungry. They tend to misinterpret other stress like boredom as hunger.

If you have body fat to lose you must experience some hunger daily.

Lecarpetron

At 23, the chronic stress of intermittent starvation hasn't caught up with you yet. You might consider the nonzero possibility that in 10 years, you will give anything to take back the undereating. I do not write this in the spirit of sour grapes, as I am not a fat person.

I wish to paraphrase the @natedawghh: "there is not an organism on earth that thrives on a lack of nutrients". That includes calories.

M

marikay

At 23, the chronic stress of intermittent starvation hasn't caught up with you yet. You might consider the nonzero possibility that in 10 years, you will give anything to take back the undereating. I do not write this in the spirit of sour grapes, as I am not a fat person.

I wish to paraphrase the @natedawghh: "there is not an organism on earth that thrives on a lack of nutrients". That includes calories.

+1

Gl;itch.e

We can "fast" without dropping calories much if at all and if we eat the same foods we are already eating here then we are unlikely to lack nutrients. All we are really doing is shifting the timing of the food not the quality or (much of) quantity.

AJC

I've heard of fat-shaming...but I've never heard of slim-shaming until I came here.

OP
A

andrei

@tara I'm in a slight deficit of calories (around 4-500). That's bearable. I drop fat slowly.

I do not intent to go below 11-12% bodyfat. And I wouldn't suggest anyone. I agree that extreme leanness is becoming a cultural trend.

I do think that if you have some excess body fat, you should take care of it. I understand that the body holds to it, but there is room for fighting it to an extent.

ATP

I can go as low as 800 calories a day consisting of just low fat milk, orange juice, egg, liver and still can't lose weight.

Gl;itch.e

I can go as low as 800 calories a day consisting of just low fat milk, orange juice, egg, liver and still can't lose weight.
age/weight/sex diet history/physical activity level/occupation/bank account details

Drareg

I don't get the impression you are starving yourself,far from it.

Eating when feeling hungry is the best gauge,small amounts and walk away,let the hunger come back an hour later or so until you are familiar with the routine. You can then learn what fits for 2-3 hours satiation.
This attitude is more important when you are overweight and not used to eating less/correctly. It's another form of training.
Keeping it simple like Peat mentioned,milk ,orange juice ,carrot salad is also necessary for weight loss. I think some who are using the high fat diet with protein are keeping it very simple,same with starch brigade,this can help loose weight,sometimes when they think sugar it means too much variety which complicates things,different things digest at different rates,having to keep track of all the different times is very difficult,knowing when you have 250ml of orange juice will give you energy for one hour is easy,however using Apple puree,cherimoya and a mango is little more easier to over do imo.

Different days require different amount of calories,I don't believe in blindly subscribing to set calorie needs everyday,stress levels will require more or less.
Same goes for coffee or other adaptogens.

If some people don't fell hunger first thing in the morning like many don't,they just go without breakfast,something like orange juice,a small cup can stimulate appetite,it might take a half hour for the effect.

Matt1951

Someone on another thread posted a link to a study of the "biggest losers". Those people never regained their previous metabolism, even though they regained all their weight, or more. Except for one lady. So most of them are having to live with fewer calories for their weight, compared to the average of other people at the same weight.
Ray Peat is all about raising metabolism. Training oneself to always be hungry, seems to be inviting metabolic disorder at some point. I used to low carb for many years. There are people on low carb websites who live on 1000 calories a day to maintain their weight. Which seems totally unhealthy in the long run. Focusing on raising metabolism seems to be a healthier approach, compared to calorie restriction.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals