Gravol Dimenhydrinate Thoughts

biggirlkisss

i brought some to help with ibs wondering what people think of it the first generaton anti histime.

Peata

I consider it a life-saver. I take some with me anywhere I go.

Don't know if it is mild hiatel hernia or gastritis that flares up sometimes, but whichever, dimenhydrinate takes care of the symptoms and lets me function.

Just yesterday during work I started getting light-headed and nauseous as though a flu was suddenly overtaking me (this was after eating lollipops). I took 1/2 Dramamine and some aspirin, and felt fine. Then yesterday evening I ate too much leftover Halloween candy (skittles and lifesavers) and got a pounding heart, anxiety, etc. and took a Dramamine. Symptoms went away, and since I took a whole Dramamine, I got sleepy for bed, so win win. Also, I'm done with the candy. Ugh.

Peata

How would you compare this to Cipro
I don't see any comparison in them for myself the way I use them. I am not taking Cypro at the moment. I take Dramamine only as needed, usually 1/4 - 1/2 tablet takes care of everything for me. Instead of "as needed" I used Cypro chronically for the most part, taking it daily, spreading doses out during the day for weeks/months in order to help with anxieties and whatnot.

But if I can think of comparisons and contrasts...

A whole Dramamine starts making me sleepy within an hour, where Cypro takes up to four hours.
No hangover effect with Dram like with Cypro (until you're used to it).
I never noticed Cypro having an affect on anything acutely or right away the same way Dramamine does. Like I said, Dram starts doing something for me within 30 - 60 minutes. It takes away my dizziness, nausea, panic, etc.

I think this generic Dramamine (under $4 for 100 pills) saved me $$$ in medical bills. I didn't know what was wrong with me, went to doctors to get checked out multiple times during the worst attacks, but doctors had no answer. I figured it out myself, that it was related to my gastritis or hernia. They just didn't seem like symptoms that should be related to that (throbbing/pounding pulse, anxiety, dizziness, flu-like symptoms, pressure in chest, malaise, etc.) It also saved my job because during the worst attacks, I couldn't get out of bed, let along function somewhere else. So I do love Dramamine.

OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

i think it reduces histime which is why its good. It is safe for the liver though?

Last edited:

Nighteyes

i think it reduces histime which is why its good. It is safe for the liver though?

Diphenhydramine is the primary constituent of dimenhydrinate and dictates the primary effect. The main difference relative to pure diphenhydramine is a lower potency due to being combined with 8-chlorotheophylline. By weight, dimenhydrinate is between 53% to 55.5% diphenhydramine.[2]

8-Chlorotheophylline, a chlorinated derivative of theophylline, was added in order to counteract drowsiness. Theophylline is very closely related to caffeine and theobromine, mild central nervous system stimulants. It was thought by scientists[who?] that by combining the antiemetic effects of diphenhydramine with a stimulant, the extreme drowsiness induced by the former could be mitigated somewhat by the latter. The sedation caused by diphenhydramine, however, is substantially stronger than the stimulation caused by 8-chlorotheophylline, so the overall effect is still mostly sedating

From wikipedia.. And found this quote from "benadryl" thread:

"Benadryl (diphenhydramine) protects the liver and other organs from various toxins and the toxic effects of histamine."
Which makes dramamine one of the 1st generation antihistamine and is often recommended by Dr. Peat along with cyproheptadine

Nighteyes

Oh and I like and use this myself.. Although I would like to find a version without the colloidal silicon that dramamine generic brand has..

OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

i dont really notice anything like it didnt make me tired or anything. im going to get ondancestron instead. my ibs is terrible stuckon that. brought progest g to try.

LeeLemonoil

I'm looking for alternatives to Loratadine and Cetirizine for allergy/hay fever relief I experience every year in June for 20-30 days, depending on weather
(Grass and Rye Pollen).

As far as I could gather from the various threads on anti-histamines, Dr. Peat and Forum-members suggest first generation H1-antagonists due to safer side-effects profile and additional benefits, especially

-Cyphroephtadine
-Doxylamine
-Diphenhydramine (org. Benadryl)
-Dimenhydrinate

Apart from Cypro, which I currently don't want to try anyway for certain reasons, the remaining three substances are all available OTC's in Germany as sleep aids or travel sickness prevention.

I'm most interested in Dimenhydrinate which is available in either 35, 50 or 75mg tablets. I have no clue what dose would be needed to provide allergy relief and if
these first Generation products are as effective as Loratadine and Cetirizine at all.

If someone with experience on Dimenhydrinate (Gravol and other names) for treating hay fever symptoms could provide some info it would be much appreciated

Last edited:

LeeLemonoil

Thanks for notifying @What-a-Riot @Peata

I gather that common allergy use dosage of Benadryl is 12,5mg - and Dimenhydrinate being roughly half Diphenhydramine per weight, a 35mg tablet or 1/2 50mg should be worth a try

What-a-Riot

yeah, i should also say that i use dimenhydrinate for allergies. I take half or all of a 50mg, so of course it varies from person to person, but the 35mg is definitely worth a try. might need to take it more than once a day.

I'm using Cetirizine now. It's only for about a month in the year. I don't like the 1st generation antihistamines as they just make me so darned sleepy.

ddjd

does anyone know which has a stronger anticholingergic effect, Dimenhydrinate, or Doxylaminsuccinate?

Hey guys.

When I increase my fruit and cheese consumption I usually get motion sick and I wondered why. Tonight I started researching the main ingredient of the tablet that always helped me since I was a kid. It is Dimenhydrinate. I found it fascinating that anti histamine would help with those situations so I am planning to do even more research in the near future.

Just wanted to leave this one here :)

Serenz Allergy Relief CO2 Spray 7.5g - ExpressChemist.co.uk - Buy Online
This is such a wonderful information!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals