Graves Disease And Hyperthyroidism

A. squamosa

hi all,

as it turns out I have both of the above. physically, I'm experiencing weight loss, muscle wastage, muscle weakness, tremor, fatigue, unusual amount of shortness of breath when doing (mild) exercise, always quite hot, lots of sweating, slightly swollen thyroid.

regular amount of thyroid stimulating immunoglodulin is <0.55
mine is 21 IU/L

in terms of thyroid hormones:
tsh regular: 0.5-4.0
mine: <0.02

ft4 regular: 10-20
mine: 62

ft3 regular: 3.5-6.0
mine: >30

my doctor has given me NeoMercazole to deal with it. I'd love your thoughts on NeoMercazole, alternative remedies, and any other thoughts.

Thanks!!

edit: forgot to add that I have been experiencing, very mildly, the widened/buldgy eye thing. it comes and goes, though.

edit again: forgot to add that my period is lighter and slightly less frequent, and my skin has been unusual re. blemishes (which i normally never get)

Last edited:

boris

An Interview With Dr. Raymond Peat who offers his thoughts about Thyroid Disease | TPAUK
Dr. Ray Peat: Graves’ disease and exophthalmos can occur with hypothyroidism or euthyroidism, as well as with hyperthyroidism. Pregnenolone regulates brain chemistry in a way that prevents excessive production of ACTH and cortisol, and it helps to stabilize mitochondrial metabolism. It apparently acts directly on a variety of tissues to reduce their retention of water. In the last several years, all of the people I have seen who had been diagnosed as “hyperthyroid” have actually been hypothyroid, and benefitted from increasing their thyroid function; some of these people had also been told that they had Graves’ disease.

Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud
The idea that the "free hormone" is the active form has been tested in a few situations, and in the case of the thyroid hormone, it is clearly not true for the brain, and some other organs. The protein-bound hormone is, in these cases, the active form; the associations between the "free hormone" and the biological processes and diseases will be completely false, if they are ignoring the active forms of the hormone in favor of the less active forms. The conclusions will be false, as they are when T4 is measured, and T3 ignored. Thyroid-dependent processes will appear to be independent of the level of thyroid hormone; hypothyroidism could be caller hyperthyroidism.

TSH, temperature, pulse rate, and other indicators in hypothyroidism
Because the actions of T3 can be inhibited by many factors, including polyunsaturated fatty acids, reverse T3, and excess thyroxine, the absolute level of T3 can't be used by itself for diagnosis. “Free T3” or “free T4” is a laboratory concept, and the biological activity of T3 doesn't necessarily correspond to its “freedom” in the test.

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

thanks @boris, although my symptoms seem to suggest I am genuinely hyperthyroid and most of those articles suggest most people who think they are hyperthyroid, are not. Nonetheless, I'll be monitoring my temp and pulse for a few days before I start using the drug I was given (or I might not start it, not sure at this point)

boris

Bulging eyes, swollen thyroid, etc. are actually hypothyroid symptoms, not hyper (or can be both, not sure).

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

hmm... confusing, I just checked temp and pulse (around .5hr after breakfast), and temp is 36.8, pulse is 110 bpm.

Recoen

Are you getting enough B vitamins? And enough protein and carbs in general?
what is your diet like? How much Se and I are you getting?

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

what's Se and I? The hyperthyroidism and graves disease were set off by some sort of virus, I don't know what - the graves disease is an autoimmune disease.