Grapes As A Main Source Of Carbs?

L

Lord Cola

I've heard Dr. Peat say that grape juice is "very good."

Have any of you been using whole grapes or grape juice instead of orange juice as a main source of carbs? What are the benefits and disadvantages of using grapes as a main source of carbs instead of orange juice? What might one need to be cautious about when consuming grapes?

Have any of you emailed Dr. Peat about grapes? If so, could you share his responses here?

redsun

Grape juice is especially high in manganese while orange juice doesnt have much. But thats about where the superiority ends for grape juice.

Orange juice is higher in most nutrients and has quite a few nutrients that grape juice lacks. Folate, A, C, folate and C being vital nutrients while A is in the form of beta carotene.

The other issue is on a per cup basis grape juice has much more sugar as well, and it becomes much more evident the more you drink. 8 cups of grape juice has 295g carbs, while 8 cups of orange juice is about 200g carbs. Which of course is not an excuse not to drink it but it already has less nutrients per cup but it also includes more sugar per cup. More calories less nutrition which could cause problems. Orange juice is much better option in basically every way save for manganese content.

Dobbler

I think the total amount of carbs is important. If you can eat 400g carbs from grapes, go for it. I think orange juice is a bit more optimal to eat high amounts, but going with grape juice for days or weeks is probably fine, as long as you eat something else too, for protein etc. and keep the carb intake high.

Cirion

Anecdotally, I seem to get more benefit from actual grapes than grape juice since I think grape juice lacks many things like the vitamin K. However, it's rather tedious to eat a lot of calories from grapes, unless maybe you juice them yourself.

Grapes give me better mental states than oranges do. But, comparing grape juice to orange juice is not the same as grapes to oranges, it's not the same thing. Unless you do your own juicing.

OP
L

Lord Cola

Anecdotally, I seem to get more benefit from actual grapes than grape juice since I think grape juice lacks many things like the vitamin K. However, it's rather tedious to eat a lot of calories from grapes, unless maybe you juice them yourself.

Grapes give me better mental states than oranges do. But, comparing grape juice to orange juice is not the same as grapes to oranges, it's not the same thing. Unless you do your own juicing.
I'm thinking of eating whole organic grapes, instead of juice. Preferably the slip-skin kind to minimize ingestion of grape skin and the yeast that supposedly grow on it. Do you happen to know if there's PUFA in the flesh? I read that there is about 0.102 g of PUFA per 100 g of grapes, and I'm guessing most of the PUFA is in the skin and seeds, but I haven't found any research that confirms or denies this. Also, is there anything you do for the iron content?

I think grapes are good. Yes, orange juice has more nutrients per calorie, but still grapes are pretty nutritious. Your information regarding the PUFA amount in grapes must have included the seed, since, according to self nutrition data, 100 grams of seedless grapes have 0,05 grams of PUFA. If you 3 kilograms of grapes per day, you're only getting 1,5 grams of PUFA.

Grapes, red or green (European type, such as Thompson seedless), raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

The only thing that worries me a little about grapes is their resveratrol content. I read that only red grapes or fermented grapes have this substance, so if you're eating the purple or green ones, then it should be fine.

Herbie

Was it grape fruit juice or grape juice?

I have heard him say both but he lost is train of thought one time then the interviewer interjected so im unsure.

CLASH

@Lord Cola
I drink 24-32oz of grape juice a day, i greatly enjoy it and look forward to it. I also use pineapple juice, occasionally pomegranate juice and cacao juice.

olive

Grapes accumulate fluoride more than most other fruits due to the thin skin. Grape juice contains 4-5x the amount of fluoride as other juice varieties.

OP
L

Lord Cola

Was it grape fruit juice or grape juice?

I have heard him say both but he lost is train of thought one time then the interviewer interjected so im unsure.
I don't know about grapefruit juice, but here's the clip I was referring to in the OP:

A quick update: I tried consuming some organic slip-skin grapes yesterday. Washed them well, avoided fiber, skin and seeds. They tasted delicious, but I was never really satisfied after eating them, unlike when I eat oranges and mandarins, and I experienced a dull headache for hours during that day. I'm not sure if the grapes caused the headaches, but I rarely experience headaches these days, and I didn't do anything out of the ordinary other than eating grapes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Herbie

I don't know about grapefruit juice, but here's the clip I was referring to in the OP:

A quick update: I tried consuming some organic slip-skin grapes yesterday. Washed them well, avoided fiber and seeds. They tasted delicious, but I was never really satisfied after eating them, unlike when I eat oranges and mandarins, and I experienced a dull headache for hours during that day. I'm not sure if the grapes caused the headaches, but I rarely experience headaches these days, and I didn't do anything out of the ordinary other than eating grapes.

Yeah its def grapes and I know for sure he has said grape fruit too.

He has warned about the sulphites sprayed on grapes causing allergic reactions...

OP
L

Lord Cola

Yeah its def grapes and I know for sure he has said grape fruit too.

He has warned about the sulphites sprayed on grapes causing allergic reactions...
Do you remember where he talked about the sulfites on grapes?

CLASH

@Lord Cola
When i eat grapes I spit out the skins as they tend to irritate my intestines and give me headaches.

To remove pesticides etc. A Baking soda soak has been shown to be helpful.

OP
L

Lord Cola

I've been going back and forth between grapes and OJ as a source of carbs lately. I noticed that eating just a few sweet, large grapes is enough to warm me up almost immediately; I felt that they are as good as plain white sugar in warming me up, except they taste better and don't cause temperature increase to an unpleasant degree. I found that I could eat as much coffee as I wanted without eating white sugar when I ate grapes alongside coffee.

What I didn't like so much about grapes is that they don't seem to help increase metabolism or keep inflammation down as much as orange juice. I actually went back to drinking orange juice because I started getting easily bloated, and because I started looking and feeling unwell overall. Similar to what @CLASH said, I also experienced mild dull headaches from the white powder on the skin; the headaches did not occur when I washed them well.

When I went back to drinking orange juice, I noticed how lacking in sugar the orange juice that I have access to is for me. In my experience, even fresh squeezed, very sweet orange juice doesn't have enough sugar to provide sufficient sugar for me. Even when I consume orange juice by itself, with a little salt, it warms me up almost unnoticeably. It might be that I am not digesting orange juice properly, although I haven't noticed symptoms of indigestion lately. I am currently eating a large volume of white sugar each meal alongside orange juice to consume enough sugar (approaching orange juice more as an anti-stress food, rather than a good source of carbs), but am looking for healthier ways to add more sugar into my diet without sacrificing too much efficiency, because I feel that white sugar may not be the healthiest source of carbs considering the resources available to me right now. I think it might be good to eat grapes and orange juice together, but that would take more time and money than I am happy to spend on food.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShotTrue

I think grapes are good. Yes, orange juice has more nutrients per calorie, but still grapes are pretty nutritious. Your information regarding the PUFA amount in grapes must have included the seed, since, according to self nutrition data, 100 grams of seedless grapes have 0,05 grams of PUFA. If you 3 kilograms of grapes per day, you're only getting 1,5 grams of PUFA.

Grapes, red or green (European type, such as Thompson seedless), raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

The only thing that worries me a little about grapes is their resveratrol content. I read that only red grapes or fermented grapes have this substance, so if you're eating the purple or green ones, then it should be fine.
What's interesting to me is the taste and perhaps feeling differs between the grape colors. Green is very tangy and I feel more calm consuming purple

ShotTrue

I ate pineapply juice the other day it was kinda murky. Thick not nearly as good a taste as OJ

Gone Peating

A quick update: I tried consuming some organic slip-skin grapes yesterday. Washed them well, avoided fiber, skin and seeds. They tasted delicious, but I was never really satisfied after eating them, unlike when I eat oranges and mandarins, and I experienced a dull headache for hours during that day. I'm not sure if the grapes caused the headaches, but I rarely experience headaches these days, and I didn't do anything out of the ordinary other than eating grapes.

I get headaches from grapes too unfortunately