Grapefruit Juice And Increased Cortisol

wintagal

I started experimenting with grapefruit juice to slow down my metabolism of cortisol and thereby increase the amount available to my cells. Day one seems to have produced fantastic results. I cut my dose of cortef (hydrocortisone) from 35 to 20 and at the same time felt much better - I was able to go 6 hours between doses instead of crashing 3 hours after a dose, with no afternoon nap, yet feeling well all day. I'm very encouraged. I monitor my blood sugar to see if the cortisol is available. It was 114 2 hours post dinner instead of 90 or so (previous b.g. numbers), so that confirms the cortisol availablity.
Note: I take replacement cortisol because I don't produce enough (pituitary injury). For a normal person, this might push them into a high cortisol state, which, as we know, is very dangerous to health long-term. Also, my other pituitary hormones are also compromised, so if grapefruit juice raises them it would be a good thing.
Anyone else experimenting with grapefruit juice?

griesburner

i think licorice will do the same as grapefruit juice. My feeling is that i respond very well to both even if its called estrogenic but every time i drank grapefruit juice or a tea with much licorice i felt better. But i dont know exactly why ;)

OP
W

wintagal

griesburner, thanks for your info. I looked into licorice also, and yes, it does have an effect on cortisol. It acts differently from grapefruit, which partially inactivates the P450 enzyme CYP3A4. That enzyme breaks down cortisol and, especially, statins and many other drugs. Licorice inhibits 11BetaHSD, which operates in the cortisol system, but the effect on cortisol is complex (PubMedID 8504732), and, I believe, less powerful than grapefruit. At this point the grapefruit juice seems to work best for me. More research to follow.

BigBrain

griesburner, thanks for your info. I looked into licorice also, and yes, it does have an effect on cortisol. It acts differently from grapefruit, which partially inactivates the P450 enzyme CYP3A4. That enzyme breaks down cortisol and, especially, statins and many other drugs. Licorice inhibits 11BetaHSD, which operates in the cortisol system, but the effect on cortisol is complex (PubMedID 8504732), and, I believe, less powerful than grapefruit. At this point the grapefruit juice seems to work best for me. More research to follow.
excatly that what i wanted to write stay away from p450 inhibitors. Espiacilly the one who inhibits the p450 which is responsible for detox xenoestrogens, estrogens and toxins most time they re anti androgen. Better take p450 inducers

BigBrain

What would be examples of herbs or supplements who are inducers?
Saint-John's wort, a common herbal remedy induces CYP3A4, but also inhibits CYP1A1, CYP1B1, and CYP2D6.
Rifamycine like Rifampicin induces CYP3A4,
Tabbaco induces CYP3A4.

Ginseng, milk thistel most of herbs inhibits CYP3A4 its logical if you think they support liver to excrete the toxins in your gut gallbladder, then your liver dont need any p450 or less to remove those toxins.

Forget to mention that coffe also boost cytochrom p450 very well

TibRex

i think licorice will do the same as grapefruit juice. My feeling is that i respond very well to both even if its called estrogenic but every time i drank grapefruit juice or a tea with much licorice i felt better. But i dont know exactly why ;)
Note of caution: Licorice can raise blood pressure quite a bit, so do monitor BP just in case...

michael94

I started experimenting with grapefruit juice to slow down my metabolism of cortisol and thereby increase the amount available to my cells. Day one seems to have produced fantastic results. I cut my dose of cortef (hydrocortisone) from 35 to 20 and at the same time felt much better - I was able to go 6 hours between doses instead of crashing 3 hours after a dose, with no afternoon nap, yet feeling well all day. I'm very encouraged. I monitor my blood sugar to see if the cortisol is available. It was 114 2 hours post dinner instead of 90 or so (previous b.g. numbers), so that confirms the cortisol availablity.
Note: I take replacement cortisol because I don't produce enough (pituitary injury). For a normal person, this might push them into a high cortisol state, which, as we know, is very dangerous to health long-term. Also, my other pituitary hormones are also compromised, so if grapefruit juice raises them it would be a good thing.
Anyone else experimenting with grapefruit juice?
Do you ever drink Squirt the soda beverage... 2nd ingredient is grapefruit extract after water
also available in aspartame version

OP
W

wintagal

I like Squirt but the available research is on grapefruit juice (Grapefruit juice and licorice increase cortisol availability in patients with Addison's disease, published in the European Journal of Endocrinology and available on PubMed).

michael94

I like Squirt but the available research is on grapefruit juice (Grapefruit juice and licorice increase cortisol availability in patients with Addison's disease, published in the European Journal of Endocrinology and available on PubMed).
oki

Antonello

@wintagal how much do we have to drink for feel the benefit on cortisol?
Btw licorice root worked great for me but the effect subsided after 2 weeks and it started to became estrogenic. But in that 2 week I was feeling Amazing! I wanna come back there but I need to rest from licorice at least other 2 weeks and in the meantime I wanna use grapefruit juice so I have always some thing on hand for my low cortisol condition. I just need some instructions on how to use it;)

OP
W

wintagal

@wintagal how much do we have to drink for feel the benefit on cortisol?
Btw licorice root worked great for me but the effect subsided after 2 weeks and it started to became estrogenic. But in that 2 week I was feeling Amazing! I wanna come back there but I need to rest from licorice at least other 2 weeks and in the meantime I wanna use grapefruit juice so I have always some thing on hand for my low cortisol condition. I just need some instructions on how to use it;)
Try 1/2 cup of juice before each meal. That's what I did. Juice from white grapefruit has more of the factor than the red grapefruit. What was your source of licorice root - drops? I'd like to know what worked for you.

Antonello

I have an organic source of grape fruit juice here but is red variety -.- do I need a cup for match the same amount in the white grapefruit?
I was simply suck the raw licorice sticks morning afternoon and evening. It worked amazing for 2 weeks!
So it has to be cycle properly.
Are you still dealing with low cortisol?
It's a nightmare for me because thyroid doesn't work properly in this low cortisol state

OP
W

wintagal

You can use the red grapefruit, just find how much you need. There are big variations from one person to another in how the grapefruit works.
I have low cortisol due to a head injury. I am also trying to make thyroid hormone work better for me. Yes, cortisol is important.

Antonello

Does grapefruit works for you all the times or you use it sporadically?
Low cortisol is tricky because any stimulants can aggravates the situation. For example I've tried adrenal cortex and that was too much and my adrenal shuts down

Grapefruit is highly estrogenic. Dr. Peat has advised against grapefruit consumption.

http://www.maturitas.org/article/0378-5122(94)90012-4/abstract
In an open, randomized, cross-over study the concentrations of 17β-estradiol and estrone in serum were measured over 192 hours in 8 ovariectomized women after a single oral dose intake of 2 mg micronized 17β-estradiol. The subjects were studied with and without grapefruit juice intake containing the three natural flavonoids, naringenin, quercetin and kaempherol, which are found as glycosides in citrus fruit. These flavonoids interact with the metabolism of drugs such as 17β-estradiol and other steroids that are extensively metabolised through the P-450NF (P-450 IIIA4) enzyme or closely related P-450 systems. After administration of grapefruit juice, peak estrone (between 2–6 hours after tablet intake) concentrations increased significantly. The AUC0–48 and AUC0–192 for estrone but not 17β-estradiol, resulting from a single administration of micronized 17β-estradiol, were significantly altered. Combined measured estrogens (i.e. 17β-estradiol and estrone) also increased significantly. The relationship between the ADCs for 17β-estradiol and estrone was not altered by juice intake indicating that a metabolic step after estrone, i.e. further A and/or D ring conversion was inhibited. This study demonstrates that grapefruit juice may alter the metabolic degradation of estrogens, and increase the bioavailable amounts of 17β-estradiol and its metabolite estrone, presumably by affecting the oxidative degradation of estrogens. This food interaction may be one factor behind the interindividual variability in 17β-estradiol, estrone and estriol serum concentrations after exogenous administration of 17β-estradiol to patients.

OP
W

wintagal

It seemed to me that over a couple of weeks the grapefruit effect decreased. Not sure. Perhaps I compensated over time by making more of the enzyme (CYP3A4) that grapefruit inhibits.
And yes, I agree with ecstatichamster - grapefruit juice may also increase the amount of estrogen (and testosterone and probably LOTS of other stuff) along with cortisol.

Antonello

It seemed to me that over a couple of weeks the grapefruit effect decreased. Not sure. Perhaps I compensated over time by making more of the enzyme (CYP3A4) that grapefruit inhibits.
And yes, I agree with ecstatichamster - grapefruit juice may also increase the amount of estrogen (and testosterone and probably LOTS of other stuff) along with cortisol.
Same as licorice root, the effect last a couple of weeks than it became very estrogenic and the benefits subsidies.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Grapefruit is highly estrogenic. Dr. Peat has advised against grapefruit consumption.

http://www.maturitas.org/article/0378-5122(94)90012-4/abstract
In an open, randomized, cross-over study the concentrations of 17β-estradiol and estrone in serum were measured over 192 hours in 8 ovariectomized women after a single oral dose intake of 2 mg micronized 17β-estradiol. The subjects were studied with and without grapefruit juice intake containing the three natural flavonoids, naringenin, quercetin and kaempherol, which are found as glycosides in citrus fruit. These flavonoids interact with the metabolism of drugs such as 17β-estradiol and other steroids that are extensively metabolised through the P-450NF (P-450 IIIA4) enzyme or closely related P-450 systems. After administration of grapefruit juice, peak estrone (between 2–6 hours after tablet intake) concentrations increased significantly. The AUC0–48 and AUC0–192 for estrone but not 17β-estradiol, resulting from a single administration of micronized 17β-estradiol, were significantly altered. Combined measured estrogens (i.e. 17β-estradiol and estrone) also increased significantly. The relationship between the ADCs for 17β-estradiol and estrone was not altered by juice intake indicating that a metabolic step after estrone, i.e. further A and/or D ring conversion was inhibited. This study demonstrates that grapefruit juice may alter the metabolic degradation of estrogens, and increase the bioavailable amounts of 17β-estradiol and its metabolite estrone, presumably by affecting the oxidative degradation of estrogens. This food interaction may be one factor behind the interindividual variability in 17β-estradiol, estrone and estriol serum concentrations after exogenous administration of 17β-estradiol to patients.
Sorry to change the topic, but I've been using Rehmannia Glutinosa lately with very good success (libido, energy, mood). Do we know if it increases, decreases or modulates cortisol? It is one of the premier TCM herbs for restoring Kidney Yin Jing deficiency and associated Adrenal Fatigue syndrome.