Low Toxin Diet Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

youngsinatra

I am incorporating the recommended legumes for their high amount of soluble fiber to bind the bile that contains excreted retinol. It also works by preventing the re-absorption of bile in the GI tract AFAIK.

First I must say that black beans, rice and beef taste amazing together. Second it‘s only been 2-3 days, but so far I am tolerating them really well and my stool is perfect. No bloating so far, even at 200-400g spread across the day.
I am actually amazed that my digestion has been so good lately. I have 2 bowel movements a day usually and no bloating. At least something is good at the moment.

Tomorrow is the doctors appointment for blood work and so on. Friday also another blood draw at a private lab.

Vanset

mexicans average less than 600 μg/d of vitamin a (retinol+beta-carotene?)

are they known for vitamin a deficiency symptoms? i get around 1k of retinol daily from eggs. i wonder if i'm overdoing it

Apple

I dunno, what's a lot? Maybe 2 pounds per week now

Probably 3-4 back then
just trying to figure out how much meat would be optimal.
I don't like much the idea of enlarged facial skeleton with respect to hairloss , possibly due to high meat and calories consumption

Last edited:

redsun

just trying to figure out how much meat would be optimal.
I don't like much the idea of enlarged facial skeleton , possibly due to high meat and calories consumption with respect to hairloss
Meat does not do that. Unprocessed meat is one of the healthiest things you can consume but its not going to enlarge your skeleton. Calories dont do that either. I am not sure what where you got this idea. Growth hormone abuse can do this.

Apple

Meat does not do that. Unprocessed meat is one of the healthiest things you can consume but its not going to enlarge your skeleton. Calories dont do that either. I am not sure what where you got this idea. Growth hormone abuse can do this.
I would be happy to agree with that.
He wrote in the earlier post that his scull increased in size since he went low vit A

redsun

I would be happy to agree with that.
He wrote in the earlier post that his scull increased in size since he went low vit A
Probably because vitamin A excess promotes calcium loss. This could translate to more bone growth, but this is more likely to happen if you take things that promote bone growth as well, mainly K2. So I would suggest vitamin K2 should not be supplemented if you want to avoid that.

youngsinatra

I just came back from the doctor. The blood work is delayed until next tuesday, unfortunately.
High blood pressure and vertigo are predicted diagnosis. Measured 180/110 mm/Hg this morning at the doctor.
Interestingly enough, last weekend when I took 10-20‘000 IU of vitamin D3, my blood pressure came down to 125/70, but I stopped all the supplements until the blood work comes in to not produce false reading.

I have a sickness certificate for my work place until christmas, which is crazy long for me.
I feel bad for all of this.

Tomorrow I get blood work done at a private lab near me - will check vitamin D, serum retinol, some liver labs and calcium/PTH.
They usually give back the test results on the same day, which is great.

Andman

I just came back from the doctor. The blood work is delayed until next tuesday, unfortunately.
High blood pressure and vertigo are predicted diagnosis. Measured 180/110 mm/Hg this morning at the doctor.
Interestingly enough, last weekend when I took 10-20‘000 IU of vitamin D3, my blood pressure came down to 125/70, but I stopped all the supplements until the blood work comes in to not produce false reading.

I have a sickness certificate for my work place until christmas, which is crazy long for me.
I feel bad for all of this.

Tomorrow I get blood work done at a private lab near me - will check vitamin D, serum retinol, some liver labs and calcium/PTH.
They usually give back the test results on the same day, which is great.

maybe ive missed it but with all the stuff youve been taking, how can you be sure its the vitA? no offense meant ofc, genuinely curious

tim333

How did you get into low A @tim333 ?
I started a low vitamin A diet immediately after listening to a Matt Stone podcast with Garrett Smith. I'd done a lot of research into nutrition previously and had briefly looked into Hypervitaminosis A but I'd only read the standard information about large amounts of vitamin A being necessary for many years to produce toxicity and hadn't looked into it any further.

youngsinatra

maybe ive missed it but with all the stuff youve been taking, how can you be sure its the vitA? no offense meant ofc, genuinely curious.
I cannot say what caused it specifically, but with a chronic intake of roughly 40-50‘000 IU for almost a year, it‘s pretty clear to me that this is really really likely the cause of the problems.

I have all symptoms of vitamin A toxicity matched with the prolonged intake that usually produces chronic hypervitaminosis A in the known case reports on PubMed.

I‘ve seen severe toxicity even after a month of 50‘000 IU/d of retinol supplementation.

But let‘s just await the blood work of tomorrow. But I‘ve read multiple time that serum retinol is really insensitive to toxicity, because most of the retinol is stored in the liver, so liver biopsy is the only real accurate test.
Because of this problem it is almost always advised to test liver markers, serum calcium and so on to get a more broader picture.

tim333

Thanks! By the way, do you think that testing vit A blood level can be useful?
For most people it's probably a waste of money unless you are concerned you may be close to vitamin A deficiency levels. Women that are conceiving or pregnant should make sure they avoid becoming VAD so testing would be more important then.

Ippodrom47

Yep, it seems you're right, which is about 30% of the RDA, which is quite a lot, in my opinion, if you're trying to detox vitamin A.
Not even close to the amount found in livers, though. However, if you also add dairy and beta-carotene-rich foods, then it may add up to a considerable number, especially if eaten on a daily basis.

Tarmander

Probably because vitamin A excess promotes calcium loss. This could translate to more bone growth, but this is more likely to happen if you take things that promote bone growth as well, mainly K2. So I would suggest vitamin K2 should not be supplemented if you want to avoid that.
thanks for explaining this, correct that was my theory. I have eaten meat my whole life but it was when i went low vitamin A that i think my bone health went through the roof. teeth got super white and hair loss started

youngsinatra

thanks for explaining this, correct that was my theory. I have eaten meat my whole life but it was when i went low vitamin A that i think my bone health went through the roof. teeth got super white and hair loss started
Hair loss is an improvement?

Daniil

I started a low vitamin A diet immediately after listening to a Matt Stone podcast with Garrett Smith. I'd done a lot of research into nutrition previously and had briefly looked into Hypervitaminosis A but I'd only read the standard information about large amounts of vitamin A being necessary for many years to produce toxicity and hadn't looked into it any further.
+1. Articles on the Internet are clearly deliberately misleading imho.

Daniil

I don’t want to blame anyone but myself, but I got inspired by some prominent posts here about the usage of retinol for TLR4 antagonism, leukemia treatment and so on.

I’ll get blood work done on thursday. I am still signed off sick by my doctor for this week.
It sucks that there seems to be no quick solution to this problem.

Was tempted to go straight to the hospital but you typically wait for 8-10h there, if it‘s not an emergency. However if I get extreme dizzy and get visual problems again, I‘ll definitely call the ambulance.

Btw, this is how my hands look like at the moment.
Could it be acrodynia?