Low Toxin Diet Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

InChristAlone

yea, first book... so, the 2nd book is where it becomes more "POISON!!!"...? makes sense, from the title... i just am a person who wants to tie things together to make sense of it all... i found benefits when i took our processed foods from standard american diet... but symptoms persisted... i found benefits then when i went vegan but that didnt last either... i didnt feel good... then went paleo and some stuff improved but still bad symptoms... then tried keto... didnt work for me either... carnivore worked but i didnt like the limited nature of it...

now, im here reading all this stuff and feels like a reverse engineering course in skeptic mico-biology-chemistry-nutrition...

seems like many people on Grant's forum are also experiencing further teeth problems after doing the detox... my teeth have been getting more sensitive and more caries... i attribute it to the carbs.... and it sucks because all the remidies to remineralize teeth seem to be high vitA sources... sooooo
Need a good calcium source, the low vitamin A diet is probably too low in calcium.

InChristAlone

Aha! Here again is our beloved riboflavin and vitamin C saving us from the scourges of "poison A"!!!

"The validity of the dark adaptation test for showing mild degree of a deficiency of vitamin A is now generally acknowledged. Thus Harris and Abbasy') found that impaired dark adaptation was common in children whose diet was estimated to be low in vitamin A while it was rare in well nourished children. There are, however, many contradictory reports concerning the effect of vitamin A on the dark adaptation. Among the subjects who developed delayed dark adaptation, some were completely cured within a few hours after receiving the vitamin, whereas others, though showing some immediate improvement, failed to return to normal after having gone through many months on vitamin A supplementation.

The importance of vitamins other than vitamin A, for dark adaptation is uncertain, but the works of Harris et al.') and of Stewart4) suggest that ascorbic acid is important. This, however, is very definitely denied by Yudkin.5) Nicotinic acid, an essential ingredient of the visual purple cycle, has been reported by Hosoya et al.6) to be of clinical importance in dark adaptation. Following the administration of nicotinic acid to 3 subjects with poor dark adaptation they found that only one of them showed measurable improvement. A paper of Kimble and Gordon7) stressed as well the value of riboflavin. They observed that in a few patients who had both poor dark adaptation and a low blood vitamin A, large doses of vitamin A had no effect on either until riboflavin was given, when both became normal. But in some other individuals in whom riboflavin failed to produce this result, ascorbic acid caused satisfactory improvement. The divergent effect of the vitamins on the recovery of delayed dark adaptation stimulated the reexamination of them. The present study was designed to determine whether supplements of ascorbic acid, B vitamins and milk to the diet together or separately with vitamin A would have any advantages on the visual threshold of perception."
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/tjem1920/77/4/77_4_367/_pdf

InChristAlone

"Abnormal processing of all-trans-retinal in the rod regeneration cycle leads to retinal degeneration, suggesting that excessive amounts of the retinoid itself or its derivatives are toxic. "

Vitamin A and Vision. - PubMed - NCBI

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
seems like many people on Grant's forum are also experiencing further teeth problems after doing the detox... my teeth have been getting more sensitive and more caries... i attribute it to the carbs.... and it sucks because all the remidies to remineralize teeth seem to be high vitA sources... sooooo

That's very interesting, because I have been getting tooth pain as well. I suspected vitamin A right away, and tried to look up any connections with retinol and dental health. I couldn't find any papers that discuss it directly, but I'm sure there is a connection since retinol is involved in bone remodeling just like D and K.

Actually, my vitamin D level is at 20 this winter, which is much lower than in previous years. I'm evaluating whether to do a few vitamin D supplements or wait for the sun. I think that a lower vitamin D level is advantageous in the winter, but probably not that low.

Janelle also mentioned tooth pain in her mewing thread.

I'm trying a couple other methods of fixing the tooth pain before I try liver. For instance, I've been adding a whole raw egg each day, sometimes two.

Tarmander

I was thinking about Zinc the other night. I have tried it a bit in the last week before bed and noticed some seriously androgenic responses. But it got me thinking about how I used to take Zinc all the time. I probably took zinc for 1-2 years everynight before bed, 15-30mg. It helped me sleep through the night and I had read about some other benefits. I eventually stopped after reading some possible problems, and coincidentally that period was also when I stopped eating liver.

There are some supplements I have taken where they just felt like they fit with me. Most I have tried, maybe I felt good or bad, but within a week or two, something was really off and so I would quit. But zinc felt right. I wonder if it was because of the high A intake.

I am noticing, at least I think I am noticing, a reduction in the big pores/rosacea in my cheeks. When I first ditched the "A" I was hoping my cheek skin would resolve overnight but I think it is happening ever so slowly. I imagine if it is happening that slow on my face, it is also happening that slowly inside and other places.

I left this morning for work feeling so good. I had ordered scallops and potatoes at a restaurant last night, and eaten rice and meat for lunch and dinner(along with applesauce between meals). I fell asleep so quickly. Not having restless leg and being able to sleep is so wonderful. Rice used to cause such restlessness. I would be sleepy and barely able to keep still. Torture! I believed Peat and his stuff about grains because I felt it! I really feel like I have a new lease on life. My mood is just buoyant.

Best of luck out there people.

InChristAlone

That's very interesting, because I have been getting tooth pain as well. I suspected vitamin A right away, and tried to look up any connections with retinol and dental health. I couldn't find any papers that discuss it directly, but I'm sure there is a connection since retinol is involved in bone remodeling just like D and K.

Actually, my vitamin D level is at 20 this winter, which is much lower than in previous years. I'm evaluating whether to do a few vitamin D supplements or wait for the sun. I think that a lower vitamin D level is advantageous in the winter, but probably not that low.

Janelle also mentioned tooth pain in her mewing thread.

I'm trying a couple other methods of fixing the tooth pain before I try liver. For instance, I've been adding a whole raw egg each day, sometimes two.
I"m fairly positive my teeth pain is a direct result of the mewing too aggressively as it started well before I knew anything about this vitamin A stuff and was still eating liver at least once a month. Also, I do struggle to get enough calcium even though I eat cheese, I don't eat a lot. I sometimes do not get the RDA for calcium or at least the amount Chris Masterjohn says is optimal which is at minimum 1,000 mg.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
That's very interesting, because I have been getting tooth pain as well
Possibly due to the acidic load lowering in the body and the lymph is finally moving. You will feel it in your teeth because the lymph system piggy backs right up against the roots.
Again, since the acidic load is lowering you do not need the vitamin D to buffer the acidity as much anymore. So the body will naturally lower it.

I left this morning for work feeling so good. I had ordered scallops and potatoes at a restaurant last night, and eaten rice and meat for lunch and dinner(along with applesauce between meals). I fell asleep so quickly. Not having restless leg and being able to sleep is so wonderful. Rice used to cause such restlessness. I would be sleepy and barely able to keep still. Torture! I believed Peat and his stuff about grains because I felt it! I really feel like I have a new lease on life. My mood is just buoyant.
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! :grouphug

There it is, they bought up using retinoids for immune modulation for vaccination. Welp there goes the credibility of those researchers.
Are you saying they lack credibility because they're discussing vaccinations? I'm not sure I understand your point.

Hidden infections could be a factor but wouldn't going too low in A make that worse not better? If vitamin A is good for the immune system.
Yes, parasites and other infections use up the retinol stores of the body. This is part of why third world countries have low vitamin A status.

I was thinking about Zinc the other night. I have tried it a bit in the last week before bed and noticed some seriously androgenic responses. But it got me thinking about how I used to take Zinc all the time. I probably took zinc for 1-2 years everynight before bed, 15-30mg. It helped me sleep through the night and I had read about some other benefits. I eventually stopped after reading some possible problems, and coincidentally that period was also when I stopped eating liver.

There are some supplements I have taken where they just felt like they fit with me. Most I have tried, maybe I felt good or bad, but within a week or two, something was really off and so I would quit. But zinc felt right. I wonder if it was because of the high A intake.

I am noticing, at least I think I am noticing, a reduction in the big pores/rosacea in my cheeks. When I first ditched the "A" I was hoping my cheek skin would resolve overnight but I think it is happening ever so slowly. I imagine if it is happening that slow on my face, it is also happening that slowly inside and other places.

Best of luck out there people.

I had a very similar experience a month or two ago, Tarmander. I was taking magnesium and B6 at night and getting great sleep, and introduced taurine and vitamin E to my supplement stack. I think it also piggybacked on some previous metabolic work by progesterone and niacinamide. It was amazing. Sadly, the joyous feeling went away after a couple weeks and no matter what I did, I could not retrieve the peace and exuberance. I had to move into what was new in my life.

Enjoy it!

InChristAlone

Are you saying they lack credibility because they're discussing vaccinations? I'm not sure I understand your point.

Yes, parasites and other infections use up the retinol stores of the body. This is part of why third world countries have low vitamin A status.
Because they suggest using it in vaccines because of a better immune system response, which I already knew about. But seriously imagine that... using retinoic acid in vaccines?! Just the mere suggestion is terrifying to me. Poor children.

But that didn't answer my question about why a low vitamin A diet would help someone if it's needed for the immune system? Yes they have found giving it to malnourished people stopped the diarrhea, but sometimes a substance can seem to cure a problem while causing another, so they should be putting money into providing good nutrition, not experimenting on them, of course that's not so astounding when they say "we provided good food and clean water and they healed".

They used to use toxic metals to cure things in the past, but we know better now.

Because they suggest using it in vaccines because of a better immune system response, which I already knew about. But seriously imagine that... using retinoic acid in vaccines?! Just the mere suggestion is terrifying to me. Poor children.

Substances can be used in a targeted way that does not reflect the totality of their effects on an organism.

I'm reminded of how the anti-D people call vitamin D rat poison because it's used in rat poison.

But there's also stuff like hydrogen peroxide that is dangerous and yet it's a major part of an effective immune system and some people even have protocols ingesting it.

InChristAlone

Substances can be used in a targeted way that does not reflect the totality of their effects on an organism.

I'm reminded of how the anti-D people call vitamin D rat poison because it's used in rat poison.

But there's also stuff like hydrogen peroxide that is dangerous and yet it's a major part of an effective immune system and some people even have protocols ingesting it.
I'm aware of targeted approaches. It is why aluminum is used in vaccines, because without something to cause an inflammatory response the body doesn't care much about it. But when the vaccine schedule is a mile long it all adds up. When you or I or our grandparents were young we were not vaccinated nearly as much as kids are now.

I am also aware of calling a substance toxic when in small amounts it is not.

I hope we can all agree after this huge long thread that we don't want free floating retinoic acid in our body!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That’s wonderful, I feel the same.
I took a couple months but I find the mental/cognitive changes probably the most impressive especially since they seem to be sticking. It’s been consistent for close to 6 months now. Waking up everyday feeling well is an indescribable feeling.

InChristAlone

Yeah they showed that 5,000 IU's a day of retinol increased bone fracture/osteoporosis. I was eating that much at least a day for yrs. I mean no wonder my son's teeth were crumbling, and I lost a tooth to a root canal. Thankfully we haven't had any broken bones in our family, but I noticed a trend for broken bones in a family I follow on youtube, two kids in one yr had a pretty significant fracture, their family eats liver, greens, raw milk, and pork a lot. The younger ones seems more effected than the oldest by health issues, probably as they didn't know as much about the health fads of 'traditional' eating back then.

Tarmander

That’s wonderful, I feel the same.
I took a couple months but I find the mental/cognitive changes probably the most impressive especially since they seem to be sticking. It’s been consistent for close to 6 months now. Waking up everyday feeling well is an indescribable feeling.
yes, then mental is the best part. Opportunities abound!

Amazoniac

There it is, they bought up using retinoids for immune modulation for vaccination. Welp there goes the credibility of those researchers. Not to mention why are people even studying using vitamin A supplementation in malnourished children? Why not uh just give them good food? Oh that's right because billionaires don't care that there are still starving people in the world. They'd rather fortify their diet with vitamin A and test vaccines on them(Bill Gates).

I am doubting the correlation with vitamin A levels and thyroid levels. Maybe the more you have the more autoimmune thyroiditis you have! But not the other way around, where the less you eat the more hypothyroid you become. Yes we did question whether Grant is hypothyroid but in his case it's probably good he's not using up nutrients too fast, as he was dieing of kidney disease. Not a fun way to go. He's doing pretty well if in fact he is hypothyroid.

Hidden infections could be a factor but wouldn't going too low in A make that worse not better? If vitamin A is good for the immune system.
What I meant is that poison/"vitamin" A must be following metabolism, any changes will require you to adjust for more or less so that it matches your state, otherwise you have the unused poison that might build up or not enough to keep up with the rate of internal consumption.

I guess it depends on the infection, being more or less affected by the deprivation. It's also related to that shifting in inflammatory patterns by changes in "vitamin" A levels.

- Thyroid function and vitamin A deficiency

"Vitamin A has been shown to be necessary for the synthesis of a number of glycoproteins in the small intestine (19), in corneal (20) and tracheal (21) epithelium and a specific glycoprotein in serum (22)."

"There is little information available on the effects of vitamin A on thyroid function. Early work suggested that vitamin A deficiency increases the basal metabolic rate (7,8) and that vitamin A excess has the opposite effect (9). We have studied vitamin A deficient rats to further elucidate the effects of vitamin A on thyroid function."

"Many authors have reported the basal metabolic rate of vitamin A deficient animals to be higher than that of normal controls (7). In addition, there is an increased oxygen uptake in the diaphragms of vitamin A deficient animals compared to controls (13). Vitamin A in large doses has antithyroid effects in experimental animals. The increase in basal metabolic rate and the extent of weight loss produced by thyroid hormone are diminished by simultaneous administration of the vitamin. Thyroid size is also reduced (14). Massive doses of vitamin A have been given to several patients with hyperthyroidism with some lessening of symptoms (15). Vitamin A treatment decreases the severity of experimental thyroiditis in guinea pigs and rats (16)."

"Our data have shown that vitamin A deficiency produced biochemical hyperthyroidism and the previous reports of increased basal metabolic rate in vitamin A deficient animals suggest that this is a true thyrotoxicosis, rather than being due to peripheral organ resistance to thyroid hormone. The increase in hypothalamic TRH and pituitary TSH content, together with the failure of serum TSH to be suppressed and its retained responsiveness to TRH, are consistent with an abnormality in thyroid hormone feedback on the hypothalamic-pituitary axis. Vitamin A deficient rats appear to have central, but not peripheral, resistance to thyroid hormone similar to the situation in same cases recently reported in man (17,18). Whether vitamin A deficiency also has direct effects on the thyroid gland has not been elucidated by this study."

"In conclusion, we have shown that vitamin A deficiency in rats produces a biochemical hyperthyroidism . Our data are consistent with an abnormality in thyroid hormone feedback on the hypothalamic-pituitary axis. We could show no deficiency in anterior pituitary glycoprotein synthesis or release."​

- The interrelationship of thyroid hormones with vitamin A and zinc nutritional status in patients with chronic hepatic and gastrointestinal disorders

"There are a number of animal studies suggesting a linkage between vitamin A metabolism and thyroid function. Early work suggested that vitamin A deficiency increases the basal metabolic rate (3) and that vitamin A excess has the opposite effect (4). We showed that vitamin A deficiency in rats increases plasma T3, T4, and free thyronine indexes (5). Vitamin A excess decreases serum T3, T4, and free indices while markedly increasing the percentage of dialyzable thyroid hormones (6). In addition, vitamin A appears to decrease the tissue sensitivity to thyroid hormones (6)."

"In the 10 patients with vitamin A levels <30 mcg/dl and abnormal dark adaptation, therapy with vitamin A returned vitamin A levels and dark adaptation to normal. Vitamin A therapy increased total T3 and T4 and their free indices as well as free T3 levels by dialysis (Table 3). During treatment there was a concomitant increase in RBP (p < 0.05) without an alteration in prealbumin [transthyretin] levels."

upload_2019-2-21_7-6-21.png

"Normal subjects receiving vitamin A showed a significant decrease in T3, FT3I[ndex], T4, and FT4I after 1 wk of therapy, but after a further 2 wk, thyroid functions had returned to normal. There was no alteration in free thyroid hormone levels as measured by dialysis. During vitamin A therapy there was an increase in vitamin A levels but not in RBP or PA."

"As a group our patients demonstrated the features of the low T3 syndrome, i.e., low serum T3 and FT3I levels with normal T4 levels and slightly increased TSH levels. Among our alcoholic cirrhotics low basal T3 levels correlated with RBP and PA levels but not with vitamin A levels. During therapy with vitamin A, the rise in T3 and free T3 levels was accompanied by an increase in RBP, without a concomitant increase in PA. These data suggest that the stimulation of RBP release from the liver by supplemental vitamin A, in patients with marginal vitamin A status, is closely linked to an increase in circulating thyroid hormone. It should be stressed that in our patients factors influencing liver function other than vitamin A supplementation remained constant. Our hospitalized patients were not consuming alcohol and had been without alcohol for periods of 4 wk to 8 months. All were consuming balanced diets, and although liver function was moderately disturbed, it remained constant during the interval of study. Increases in circulating thyroid hormone levels in our patients could be linked to the vitamin A therapy itself. However, in view of the transient decrease in thyroid hormone levels seen among normal subjects receiving supplemental vitamin A, who did not significantly increase their serum RBP levels, it seems that the increase in circulating RBP concentrations was one factor leading to the improvement in thyroid function."

"The exact role of RBP in maintaining thyroid function is unclear. There would appear to be two sites where vitamin A-RBP metabolism may interact with thyroid metabolism. First, in the liver itself, vitamin A-RBP metabolism may be linked to T4 and to T3 conversion. We have previously shown that vitamin A palmitate can enhance conversion of T4 to T3 in the rat liver homogenates (22)."

"Second, RBP may alter circulating concentrations of thyroid hormones through its role as a carrier for thyroid hormones in the plasma (7, 8). Although the binding sites to PA for the vitamin A-RBP complex and for thyroid hormones are thought to be separate (7), a number of studies in animals have shown that alterations in vitamin A-RBP levels in the plasma lead to reciprocal alterations in thyroid function (5, 6, 23) and similarly alterations in thyroid function alter vitamin A-RBP levels (12)."

"Recently Jennings et al. (24) have shown that the rate limiting step in T4 to T3 conversion in the liver appears to be entry of the T4 into the liver rather than the enzymatic conversion of T4 to T3. It is possible that the PA-RBP-ROH-T4 complex plays a crucial role in making T4 available to tissues."

"Another potential role of vitamin A in the pathogenesis of the low T3 syndrome is suggested by our in vitro observation (J. E. Morley, R. M. Russell, A. Reed, E. A. Carney, and J. M. Hershman, unpublished observation) that the vitamin A ester, vitamin A palmitate, increases the percentage of dialyzable thyroid hormones. An increase in the dialysable fraction of thyroid hormones is well recognized as being present in a variety of chronic illness including cirrhosis (1, 2). Chopra et al. (25) have presented evidence that part of this increase is due to a circulating factor that inhibits thyroid hormone binding. In normal subjects retinol esters are present only in very small concentrations (1.6 ± 0.4 mcg/dl in our normals) whereas in cirrhotics there is an increase in retinol esters (12.5 ± 1.6 mcg/dl in our group). The increase in retinol esters in cirrhotics is probably a result of impaired hepatic uptake of dietary vitamin A and possibly an increased release of vitamin A as free esters. This increase in retinol esters in cirrhotics may be one of the circulating inhibitors responsible for the increase in the dialyzable fraction of thyroid hormones in cirrhotic patients."

"The zinc-deficient cirrhotics had markedly depressed T3 and FT3I levels but in the six patients treated with zinc we could not demonstrate a significant increase in T3 levels. Zinc deficiency in rats is associated with a decrease in T3 levels greater than that seen with comparable caloric restriction (26). Zinc is necessary for RBP release from the liver in rats (14) and, as such, the alterations in thyroid function seen in the patients with zinc deficiency may be secondary to deranged RBP metabolism. In our patients treated with zinc, however, RBP levels did not rise."

"Increased prolactin levels are well recognized as being present in cirrhosis (27, 28). There was no correlation of prolactin levels with vitamin A or RBP levels, but the patients with low zinc levels had high prolactin values. Renal failure is also associated with low zinc levels (29) and increased prolactin levels (30). Zinc and a number of other heavy metals have been shown to suppress prolactin release from isolated pituitaries in vitro (31). There is a possible role of zinc deficiency in the pathogenesis of the prolactin increases seen in cirrhosis and renal failure. However, the failure of prolactin levels to decrease during zinc therapy mitigates against this possibility."

"In conclusion, our data suggest that disturbances of vitamin A-RBP metabolism may play a role in the pathogenesis of the low T3 syndrome seen in patients with chronic gastrointestinal disorders. The association of deranged thyroid function with zinc deficiency may be secondary to zinc-induced disturbances in RBP. Further studies are necessary to elucidate the basic interrelationship of vitamin A-RBP with thyroid function as the associations reported could reflect tertiary metabolic consequences of the complicated set of events after vitamin A therapy and this may not be due to a causal relationship."​

- The Effect of Vitamin A Supplementation on Thyroid Function in Premenopausal Women

Liver hits can manifest on skin quite fast:
- I Need To Get The Yellow Fever Vaccine. Any Advice ?

Digestive transit time can change how much propoison you adsorb:
- Carotene Absorption, Dietary Fat, And Meal Interactions

I'm without audio, but it seems to be those trials (Alpha-Tocopherol/Beta-Carotene trial, etc) that they have stuffed people with antioxidants. You must be familiar with them.

You see absolutely no value in draining stores of retinol?
If depleting yourself of poison and staying that way was an easy fix, people would be doing it for a long time, there have been phases in which it was demonized before. Doesn't seem like a sustainable option for the long-term, but I'm aware that people are improving, so I would just pay attention to when it starts plateauing and avoid being uncneiancauerely restrictive; gradual normalization is better than purging anyway. But I don't think my words make much difference at this point, this topic is going in circles.

- Eclampsia in the Real Organism: A Paradigm of General Distress Applicable in Infants, Adults, Etc.

"B vitamin deficiencies alone are enough to cause the liver's underactivity, and to cause estrogen dominance, and a simple vitamin A deficiency causes an inability to use protein efficiently or to make progesterone, and in itself mimics some of the effects of estrogen."​

- The problem of Alzheimer's disease as a clue to immortality Part 2

"In a variety of cell types, vitamin A functions as an estrogen antagonist, inhibiting cell division and promoting or maintaining the functioning state. It promotes protein synthesis, regulates lysosomes, and protects against lipid peroxidation. Just as stress and estrogen-toxicity resemble aging, so does a vitamin A deficiency. While its known functions are varied, I think the largest use of vitamin A is for the production of pregnenolone, progesterone, and the other youth-associated steroids. One of vitamin E's important functions is protecting vitamin A from destructive oxidation. Although little attention has been given to the effects of unsaturated fats on vitamin A, their destruction of vitamin E will necessarily lead to the destruction of vitamin A. The increased lipid peroxidation of old age represents a vicious circle, in which the loss of the antioxidants and vitamin A leads to their further destruction.

To produce pregnenolone, thyroid, vitamin A, and cholesterol have to be delivered to the mitochondria in the right proportion and sufficient quantity. Normally, stress is balanced by increased synthesis of pregnenolone, which improves the ability to cope with stress. Lipid peroxidation, resulting from the accumulation of unsaturated fatty acids, iron, and energy deficiency, damages the mitochondrias' ability to produce pregnenolone. When pregnenolone is inadequate, cortisol is over-produced. When progesterone is deficient, estrogen's effect is largely unopposed. When both thyroid and progesterone are deficient, even fat cells synthesize estrogen."​

- Fats, functions and malfunctions.

"Transthyretin, which carries both vitamin A and thyroid hormones, is sharply decreased by stress, and should probably be regularly measured as part of the thyroid examination."​

CDT

DO you have any of genereaux's books on hand, by chance. Links would be greatly appreciated!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals