Low Toxin Diet Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

LLight

REV-ERBalpha participates in circadian SREBP signaling and bile acid homeostasis
In conclusion, our study suggests that rhythmic cholesterol and bile acid metabolism is not just driven by alternating feeding-fasting cycles, but also by REV-ERBalpha, a component of the circadian clockwork circuitry.

Regulation of bile acid synthesis by the nuclear receptor Rev-erbalpha
Rev-erbalpha-deficient mice display a lower synthesis rate and an impaired excretion of bile acids into the bile and feces. Expression of CYP7A1, the rate-limiting enzyme of the neutral pathway, is decreased in livers of Rev-erbalpha-deficient mice, whereas adenovirus-mediated hepatic Rev-erbalpha overexpression induces its expression.

NR1D1 (also known as REV-ERBα), a component of the circadian clock, regulates the expression of genes involved in metabolism and inflammation [27]. A murine study demonstrated that NR1D1 plays a critical role in the prevention of metabolic syndrome; the deletion of REV-ERBα (NR1D1) resulted in lipoprotein lipase overexpression in peripheral tissues, increased fat storage in the liver and adipose tissues, and susceptibility to obesity induced by a high-fat diet [59]. Pharmacologic NR1D1 activation was shown to reduce the severity of acute peritonitis and prevent fulminant hepatitis by inhibiting the NLRP3 inflammasome pathway. [60] We observed an average 11 fold increase in the NR1D1 GP level at the end of 4th week during 30-day intermittent fasting compared with the level before 30-day intermittent fasting. These findings suggest that dawn to sunset 30-day intermittent fasting can reduce fat accumulation in the liver and adipose tissues, and attenuates NLRP3-driven inflammation, therefore it can be an adjunct treatment of patients with metabolic syndrome and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.

Ramadan fasting could upregulate Reverb-alpha nuclear receptor which seems to be involved in bile acid metabolism.

The mechanism might be different in human though, as the LXR is not the transcription factor that regulates the CYP7A1 enzyme like it is in mice.

There is also a link between bile metabolism and water homeostasis as the LXR and FXR (the transcription factors that detects bile acids) seems to be linked to water homeostasis. Also, the antidiuretic hormones (especially vasopressin) have been shown to impact the bile flow, always in mice/rats. By the way, I wonder whether copper, that can bind to vasopressin and oxytocin, could potentiate their effect and influence bile flow.

orangebear

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish Grant's books were dryer and denser. I understand that he's trying to be engaging and hammer his point home, which is generally good in books, but it ends up being rather repetitive for someone who has already agreed to entertain his premise and wants to just learn about the mechanisms of action quickly for the various conditions he proposes are caused by hypervitaminosis A.

Ippodrom47

Hi! Does anyone know which SNPs to look for in raw dna data, such as 23andme, to check if someone is prone to vitamin A toxicity?

TradClare

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish Grant's books were dryer and denser. I understand that he's trying to be engaging and hammer his point home, which is generally good in books, but it ends up being rather repetitive for someone who has already agreed to entertain his premise and wants to just learn about the mechanisms of action quickly for the various conditions he proposes are caused by hypervitaminosis A.
He was learning as he was writing the first one, and admits that he was still detoxing and not thinking clearly. He admits that it's repetitive. But as far as the mechanism of action, he's not a scientist. Does he really ever make conclusions on the mechanism? Sorry, it's been a few years since I've read them! It might be quicker for you to listen to his two podcasts interviews on Quax which I found really good.

Abcdefgmo

If you look up causes of liver disease, you'll see Wilson's (copper overload) and hemochromatosis (iron) often mentioned . I suspect Vitamin A (excess from supplements and liver) is another aggravating factor for the liver along with fructose .. maybe that's why those supplementing with copper fail to raise their blood levels and ceruloplasmin? Ceruloplasmin is made in the liver, so these excesses in the liver of iron, copper, vitamin A, excess fructose etc can end up lowering bioavailable copper, just like in Wilson's

I noticed when supplementing copper, I couldnt digest fats anymore, and had issues with fructose malabsorption (both are metabolized in the liver) . Cod liver oil also caused fructose malabsorption . Since ditching those, I have zero issues with fats and fructose

I suspect "all roads lead to the liver" rings true

I think Vitamin D can also be an issue. Sunlight gives you water soluble D. Supplements are fat soluble and can be another issue for the liver. Vitamin D is activated in the liver and kidney . Taking vitamin D also caused issues with fat malabsorption

Blossom

Forum Supporter

I think Vitamin D can also be an issue. Sunlight gives you water soluble D. Supplements are fat soluble and can be another issue for the liver.
Completely agree.

orangebear

One thing I noticed about both Grant and Dr. Garret Smith is that they come off as a little grumpy, and perhaps rightfully so to an extent. Even if they are right about VA toxicity, do you guys think they are right about everything else? For example, from the little bit I have learned from Grant's books, he seems to be against sugar, salt, and for some weird reason, coconut oil and other fats, while also documenting experiments where fat helped buffer the effects of VA. Dr. Smith also seems to be against sugar and a high calcium intake while not worrying much about PUFA intake.

TheCalciumCad

If you look up causes of liver disease, you'll see Wilson's (copper overload) and hemochromatosis (iron) often mentioned . I suspect Vitamin A (excess from supplements and liver) is another aggravating factor for the liver along with fructose .. maybe that's why those supplementing with copper fail to raise their blood levels and ceruloplasmin? Ceruloplasmin is made in the liver, so these excesses in the liver of iron, copper, vitamin A, excess fructose etc can end up lowering bioavailable copper, just like in Wilson's

I noticed when supplementing copper, I couldnt digest fats anymore, and had issues with fructose malabsorption (both are metabolized in the liver) . Cod liver oil also caused fructose malabsorption . Since ditching those, I have zero issues with fats and fructose

I think Vitamin D can also be an issue. Sunlight gives you water soluble D. Supplements are fat soluble and can be another issue for the liver. Vitamin D is activated in the liver and kidney . Taking vitamin D also caused issues with fat malabsorption
Do you follow Garrett Smith by any chance? he would agree with everything you said.

View: https://twitter.com/NutriDetect/status/1526956980580954113

B

BRBsavinWorld

3 years is a very long time. You can't be serious. If a diet doesn't give results within a few months it is trash.
Peaty foods didn’t really resolve my stuff until I got serious about eating carrot salad… that one little thing… not nutrients, but rather scrubbing the gut.
When I followed the simple diet that Grant genereux did of just White Rice and Beef I healed rapidly, feeling better within a week or two. After a month I felt amazing, all my health problems were going away.
That’s basically the elimination diet of carnivore, plus non irritating carbs.

Similar to my experience in carnivore.

Ps, until I cleaned my gut, I reacted poorly and would get foggy from even my now beloved milk!

TheCalciumCad

One thing I noticed about both Grant and Dr. Garret Smith is that they come off as a little grumpy, and perhaps rightfully so to an extent. Dr. Smith also seems to be against sugar and a high calcium intake while not worrying much about PUFA intake.
I don't follow Grant but he's a 60yr old man who's eaten like a prisoner for 7years so it makes sense. Garrett who I've been following since march seems like he carries alot of anger in him then you realise he's a 46yo man who went through a divorce in the middle of a fake pandemic so it makes sense lol, and I get the impression he doesn't worry about PUFA because he doesn't cook with it and avoiding VA makes keeping PUFA low even easier.

orangebear

I don't follow Grant but he's a 60yr old man who's eaten like a prisoner for 7years so it makes sense. Garrett who I've been following since march seems like he carries alot of anger in him then you realise he's a 46yo man who went through a divorce in the middle of a fake pandemic so it makes sense lol, and I get the impression he doesn't worry about PUFA because he doesn't cook with it and avoiding VA makes keeping PUFA low even easier.
So for the people who are detoxing VA, do you guys still eat a lot of sugar and calcium? If so, how do you get the Peaty amount of calcium without dairy (getting sugars is easy)? If no, why not? Do the requirements for calcium and sugar change when you're low on VA?

TheCalciumCad

So for the people who are detoxing VA, do you guys still eat a lot of sugar and calcium? If so, how do you get the Peaty amount of calcium without dairy (getting sugars is easy)? If no, why not? Do the requirements for calcium and sugar change when you're low on VA?
Garrett Smith seems concerned about excess fructose hurting the liver (tho he still eats low VA fruits) and thinks excess calcium along with VA and vit D supplements cause calcification, its hard not to get some calcium in the diet anyway just not Ray Peat amounts. Personally I did Peating for 4years and in that time I took Vit D3/K2 and averaged near 2g of calcium daily...yet, my teeth and hair got far worse... thats interesting isnt it? So i'm very skeptical if we need high amounts of calcium nevermind vit D supps and VA.

artist

I was puzzled why I was getting symptoms of lack of poison A (or of being too detoxified) in spite of making sure all aspects were taken care of, the only exception was molybdenum. After deciding to try it, I have confirmed over and over again that adding it was the absent piece for the intoxication to succeed.

The only problem is that it's not too sustainable as a supplement, its case appears to be more delicate than with other nutrients, it's preferable to leave this option as a last resource and use it occasionally. I don't know what gets affects when ingested alone, but it seems beyond just copper, perhaps other trace minerals are supposed to be present along. Foods don't tend to cause these issues of trace minerals imbalances.

Beans are quite nutritious, it's the closest you can get to consuming nuts but without the harmful fats. It fits together like a charm in being able to tolerate coffee again (YW Tan, 2016).

It took you the exclusion of two classic problematic proteids (gluten and casein) to be able give your body a break and start assimilating nutrients properly again, right? Perhaps you were in that Raj's state of malnourishment with ample nutrition (-molybdenum).

I'm not suggesting that molybdenum is the magic pill, it's one of the pieces that can be missing (common around here), but there are many of them.

It's worth adjusting poison A intake to the current state, but if you need to go to extremes and remain on it as management otherwise the issue returns immediately, it indicates issues elsewhere; may be indeed some defect in enzymes or something similar that needs to be fixed for it to function properly, but it's better to assume that this is not the case if you have no confirmation.

What bothers is people joining the bandwagon without exhausting all possibilities first (not talking about you), moving towards coma to spare resources is a desperate attempt.
This is super interesting to me because I am currently running with a theory that molybdenum triggered my vitamin A excess symptoms (circulatory system problems especially venous inflammation, exercise intolerance, general sudden rapid breakdown) when I had previously gotten away with both Accutane and high dose retinol supplementation without much fanfare (at least, nothing that I could connect directly to vitamin A.)

I had previously thought that the problem with molybdenum was its copper chelation capacity, but after two years of aggressive copper supplementation, even a couple days trialing molybdenum (surely it couldn’t be the problem!) the whole process started again and my veins got a lot worse. The copper had helped my histamine intolerance a bit, but did nothing for the other issues. The reason I would even risk the molybdenum again is because it makes me feel amazing and kind of solves all my problems at first, so I suspect I’ve been deficient for a long time (there is really no source of it in my long-restricted diet) but it caused such a strange mix of feeling amazing and causing massive destruction like no other supplement I’ve taken. The only thing that’s helping me right now is vitamin E, and I’ve tried everything.

Last edited:

artist

Is there a go-to supplement for blocking vitamin A’s effects temporarily? Even if it means preventing A from being released from the liver

GreekDemiGod

I mean, I've seen some people in here how they started consuming fries in PUFA oils. What's next? SAD is optimal? Hard to believe.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals